No announcement yet.

Post your "translation needed" here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hank and Gerdan, thanks to you both. Greatly appreciated.

Richard

Comment

Whast does this photo msay?

I know it has something to do with Gunther Prien & U 47, but what else does it say? Thanks for the help. maybe you would like to see the front. I THINK that is Prien in the middle. The guy to HIS left is perhaps his first mate? I have seen them together before.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by oldtrcollector; 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

# 2025

I try to read it:

"Kriegsberichter Dr. Frank - U64 Kaplt. (Kapitänleutnant) Schulze -

U 47 Kapitänleutnant Prien"

I hope it is correct.

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
          # 2025

I try to read it:

"Kriegsberichter Dr. Frank - U64 Kaplt. (Kapitänleutnant) Schulze -

U 47 Kapitänleutnant Prien"

I hope it is correct.

Gerdan
          Thanks! I KNOW that is not Prien on the right, but rather in the middle (I assume) So the guy with the beard is Schultze, U 432 Captain (again, assumption). Any idea who Kriegsberichter Dr. Frank is? I have another item I would appreciate your talents in solving. It is written on the bottom of a Willrich Rommel AK. I have manipulated it te best I could to reveal the hard to see portion. Too bad this guy didn't do this on the back - unless it is from somebody important! I can makle out "Erwin Rommel in Afrika" and nothing else.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by oldtrcollector; 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

The last line I read " Eigentum von: Werner Reutter"

Gerdan

Comment

Photo translation help needed!!!

I have a photo of a destroyed soviet tank, and it has some sutterlin writing on the reverse side. Any help that I can get to translate it into english would be very appreciated. Thank you!!!

Best regards,

Tom
              Attached Files

Comment

# 2029

"Zwischen Krestitske(?) und Karlovaka. Ein netter Brocken ungefähr 200 mtr. (Meter) zurück

überfuhr er noch ein deutsches Pak-Geschütz mit Wagen"

Between Krestitske(?) and Karlovka. A hunk/chunk, about 200 Meter back (this tank) passed over a German anti-tank-gun (Pak) with vehicle.

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                  The last line I read " Eigentum von: Werner Reutter"

Gerdan
                  1st line reads "GFM, hier noch GO Erwin Rommel" (Generalfeldmarschall - (but) here (shown) as General-Oberst)

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    1st line reads "GFM, hier noch GO Erwin Rommel" (Generalfeldmarschall - (but) here (shown) as General-Oberst)
                    Thanks, Gerdan & Gran Sasso!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtrcollector View Post
                      Any idea who Kriegsberichter Dr. Frank is?
                      Apparently, the man on the left. He is wearing Sonderführer insignia (the anchor on his collar); many Kriegsberichter had Sonderführer status.

Born in 1909, Frank joined the Reichsmarine as a seventeen-year-old, but was discharged after one year due to an eye disease.

He studied Law and obtained a degree as a Doctor of Laws, but had no real interest in pursuing a legal career, wanting to focus on his real passions of writing and seafaring. He had already worked on-and off as a sailor during his semester breaks and continued to participate in a variety of maritime enterprises including trans-atlantic regattas and an Antarctic whaling mission while building a succesful career as a journalist, novelist and poet.

Working - somewhat naturally - as a naval war correspondent in WW2, he became a friend of Günther Prien and participated in his second-to-last combat patrol. He wrote a best-selling 1942 book on Prien ("Prien greift an") and continued his successful writing career after the war (his post-war books include two titles on Prien, one of which was an expanded version of his 1942 title).

He died in 1980.

The above info comes from the following (German-language) sites:
                      http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgan...Schriftsteller)
                      http://www.dr-wolfgang-frank.de/

Comment

Tank photo translation

Thank you very much, Gerdan!!! I appreciate your help, as you have made this photo much more interesting. Thanks again!!!

Best regards,

Tom

Comment

Hello
                          Can you help with translation?
                          Regards
                          Michael
                          Attached Files

Comment

# 2035

1) "Unser Bruder Karl vor unserer Tür" - our brother Karl in front of our door.

2) "Zum Andenken an den Marsch von Traunstein nach Hinning(?) - Im April 1944

In memory of our march from Traunstein to Hinning(?) - April 1944

Gerdan

Comment

# 2035

addition:

Traunstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traunstein

Henning:

I am not sure if this is the correct location Henning named on the back of the photo. But the place called "Henning" in not so far away from Traunstein. So they could have reached it by a march.

http://www.strassenkatalog.de/str/he...henning.html´

Gerdan

Comment

Would anyone be able to help me with translating this Feldpost letter? I usually can read quite a lot of German but sometimes it gets too difficult with several handwritings.
                                Thanks a lot for the help!!!

Greets,
                                Marcel

Btw, how to trace the Feldpost number? I am new to this so any help in this would be also very welcome

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 267 users online. 0 members and 267 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X