WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Have Pics of TR Uniforms on US Soil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not US related, but the auctioning off of the effects of the former Nazi Embassy in London, Nov 1945--makes one wonder what the US did with the German Embassys stuff....
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Well, I'm getting a lot of looks, but no comments to this thread. Here is Thomsen, in uniform, receiving the Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross w/o swords:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I beleive that big Hitler head in #16 is in the CWM in Ottawa. Or at least a copy of it.

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          This is the last German ambassador to the US, who was recalled after the Kristalnacht, on his way to visit Cordell Hull--once again, mufti, and not even a party pin in sight--did the Nazis not have the courage of their convictions in the US?!
          Very enjoyable thread! this is the kind of history sleuthing the WA forum can facillitate. As to "lack of courage, " another way of saying it could be "cowardly like a fox," or "strategic diplomacy" like how the proto-Luftwaffe was kept underwraps when the Brits were around so as to keep the British intelligence lulled--or so I have read.
          It would be truly stunning to imagine SS uniforms worn in the U.S.
          You may find some kind of Nazi unforms if there are photos of Nazi officials ever meeting with any American Bundists (ethnic german pro-nazi Americans). Although that may not have been allowed either.
          --Michael

Comment

Old thread, but I wonder if any additional information/fotos have come to light in the last 5 years?
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I doubt you will find many examples of German diplomats, or even military personnel assigned to embassies wearing their uniforms. Military uniforms send a powerful, and often distracting message. These guys were trying to get day to day stuff done in a world of business suits. When in Rome etc etc. The same holds true today. I would look for German military uniforms in a military environment. I know Japan sent liaison officers and observers to the US before the war...did the Germans? I'm not sure. I would start w/ the infantry school at Fort Benning, or perhaps Leavenworth. I attended the Naval War College in Newport RI and they have a fantastic historical archive. Did any KM officers attend the war College before the war? A very interesting question!
              Last edited by Luftm40; 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Luft, I agree as far as today is concerned, but the TR was not exactly modest with regard to its place in the sun (see Ribbentrop's sleeve insignia on his diplo uniform). I would assume that TR elements would staff the embassy, such as Postschutz for telecommunications, and some WH attaches'.

The sons and daughters of US-based German Nationals were also (according to references) in their own Hitler Youth districts.

I am just surprised there isn't much out there.
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is an example of uniforms being worn in a neutral country, Sweden, during wartime.

Pictured is the German Ambassador, Hans Thomsen, and Militärattache Gen. von Uthmann in 1943. (Thomsen was the charge d'affaires at the US Embassy from 1938-1941).

I would have to believe that there were multiple Attache's at the German Embassy in DC 1933-41.
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Naval Visit

German Cruiser Karlshrue visited St. Thomas US Virign Islands in 1936.....

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Germa...0&tx=100&ty=62

Comment

Nice pic. Thanks for the link:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Luft, I agree as far as today is concerned, but the TR was not exactly modest with regard to its place in the sun (see Ribbentrop's sleeve insignia on his diplo uniform). I would assume that TR elements would staff the embassy, such as Postschutz for telecommunications, and some WH attaches'.

The sons and daughters of US-based German Nationals were also (according to references) in their own Hitler Youth districts.

No modesty. The last Soviet Ambassador to Germany in the runup to 1941 was a short fellow. Hitler orderd that, at diplomatic presentations, he be accopanied, on either side, by the tallest available SS men. Somewhere, there is a picture of this.

Comment

On their European turf..yes I agree. I think here in the US may have been a different story. Diplomats have to adapt to their environment to get things done...that hasn't changed. It is an interesting quest though!

The photo from the USVI is the kind of stuff I was thinking of...

Comment

Here we go. This is the send-off for the victims of the Hindenburg disaster.
                            As you can see, Marine-SA uniforms are plainly visible.

There is also an NSDAP-AO official in full Form III uniform.
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Great photos! In the top one, the young man on the far right in the white shirt, Sam Browne cross-strap and holding the American Flag appears to be wearing a German-American Bund armband. I assume that these photos were taken at the New York City docks as the bodies were being ceremonially taken aboard a ship to be returned to Germany; in that case, the Bund would have been close at hand.

Br. James

Comment

cog flag ???

...send-off for the victims of the Hindenburg disaster...
                                Interesting photo, now wondering about the cog flag.
                                OFW
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X