CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your unidintified vehicle photos here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a little mystery 2-seater, which looks like a right-hand drive?
    Cheers,
    Kerry.
    Attached Files

Comment

Not for id, I think I know this one, but a nice shot. A 1938 Willys Overland,
      Kerry.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Yes, 1939 Pontiac. You are getting very good at this, these old American cars.
        Note that this one also has the vertical tube welded on the side of the car.
        I wonder what they were for. Now, maybe some sort of flag holder??

The little roadster is I believe a BMW 309 Kubel and I think the photo is
        reversed.

Nice shot of the Willys!! I have only about 5-6 photos of such cars in
        my photo library.

Keep it up.

Cheers
        Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Like you, I thought maybe the kubel was a revesed negative, but look at the closing of the blouses, left over right as they should be, and the nearer airman's cap eagle looks to be the right way around. Maybe just another of life's mysteries, unless anyone else has seen a right-hooker like this?
          Cheers,
          Kerry.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

I am pretty sure of the vehicle, maybe it is that the passenger is resting
            his left hand on the steering wheel that is in front of his partner.
            In other words, it may just be the angle of the photo.

Cheers
            Bill

Comment

Yes, I think you are right, it is a very narrow vehicle and the wheel looks a long way from the near side. Mystery solved, back to my archives.
              Many thanks,
              Kerry.

Comment

This looks like it has been cobbled together by the unit mechanics. The body-tub looks like a Bantam, but the front end is very strange. The writing on the back states it is in Russia, but not what it is! Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thanks, Kerry.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kerry:

I really do not know what to make of this one.

If we go from the front to the back, the wheels look to be
                  from a Jeep. The tyres have a tread pattern that is either
                  British or 1940 style American. I know the Soviets got Jeeps
                  under lend lease but I do not know when they started getting
                  them.

The motor hood and windscreen obviously came from something else
                  or are completely hand fabricated. The steering wheel appears to have
                  4 spokes whereas a Jeep steering wheel had 3 spokes.

What you can see of the body between the two men is very typical
                  of what a Jeep would look like. Look at the original photo without
                  your water mark and you may see a "grab handle" just behind the
                  cutout for entrance. I can almost see it.

With that, my best guess is that it is maybe an early lend lease
                  Jeep that somehow had it's front end and windscreen destroyed
                  and the troops just used what they could find to make the vehicle
                  usable again.

Cheers
                  Bill

Comment

Bill, I do not know if this is stictly allowed, but I lifted another image from an eBay auction, of the same vehicle, plus the reverse. The bodywork is a little less "cluttered".
                    Kerry.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bill, hi Kerry,

what an interesting vehicle. The text could help us a little bit:
                      "An original Russian reconnaissance car, converted in Podgorny to an off-road car."
                      So it is not an American vehicle, but a Russian. As far as I know the Russians also produced 4 x 4 cars, the type GAZ - 64, GAZ - 67 and GAZ - 67 B. Maybe it´s made out of one of these cars. But I´m not the expert in cars. Maybe You know more about it.

Regards

Bert
                      Last edited by SIS 5; 10-01-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Hello Bert and Bill,
                        The translation is fascinating. I think it is probably a conversion of a Lend-Lease jeep, maybe a Bantam, done in a field workshop. Perhaps someone knows`more?
                        Thanks for the help,
                        Kerry

Comment

Hi Kerry and Bert:

OK, I spent about two hours researching perhaps a half dozen Russian language
                          websites regarding Russian vehicles from 1930-1945.

I found nothing, nothing that corresponded to the front bumper, the front
                          mudguards or the grille/radiator mask that resembled anything "Russian".

On the other hand, Kerry's second photo from ebay to me indicates at least
                          a pretty good clue/tip.

If you, in your mind, strip away the front bumper, the mudguards and the windscreen,
                          you are left with a chassis, a motor hood and a body.

So, it is my choice that the basic chassis is one of the several types of American
                          Jeeps supplied on lend lease as it fits the "profile" of such a vehicle.

The problem that I cannot solve is that after so much research, I have to say that the front bumper, the mudguards/fenders/, the windscreen and the radiator mask/grille are not
                          made up from somebody's imagination, they came from some other vehicle/vehicles.

Again, a true mystery vehicle

Cheers
                          Bill

Comment

Hi Bill and Kerry,

sometimes it´s good to know Russian. It helped me to find a Russian site with interesting information. Our mistery vehicle must be one of two specimen of a testing vehicle, built in spring 1941, the first prototype of a so called reconnaissance car (разведчик) of the firm GAZ with the designation R 1 ( R = reconnaissance, in Russian ГАЗ - Р 1, Р = разведчик ). So the German soldier gave the right information about this car on the reverse of the pic.

The radiator mask is for me the lower part of the radiator mask of a Dodge truck.
                            The bumper could be taken from a truck type GAZ - AA.
                            To the mudguards I cannot say anything.

Here two pics of this interesting reconnaissance car

http://www.yaplakal.com/uploads/post...9786116309.jpg

http://www.rumodelism.com/forum/down...,40113/r-1.jpg

Also an interesting site, if You are interested in vehicles of the firm GAZ: http://modeli-gaz.ru .

Regards

Bert
                            Last edited by SIS 5; 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Kerry/Bert

Very good Detective work Bert and I think you probably found
                              the answer.

I did a Google search on GAZ R1 and found this which is very
                              informative and also in English.

Bill

http://www.g503.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=9&t=209605

Comment

Thanks again Bill and Bert.
                                Please can somebody help me with the make, model and purpose of this wooden shed on wheels?
                                Thanks for looking,
                                Kerry.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X