R.K. Minesweeper Makers' Mark Variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

typeface comparison

Oleg's maker mark didn't fit either the standard Level 4 font but resembled the Level 2 serif font. I then 'cut out' other samples and tried to size them about the same size for comparison. As you can see for yourself, the interesting thing is that Oleg's typeface may resemble the serif font in Level 2 but it's aligned pretty much in the same position as the 'thick' font seen normally in Level 4.

Does this observation infer or provide special implications about the manufacturing/die process?
    Attached Files

Comment

Cool thread Entasis, nice detective work, and great job representing the information with the images!
      HC

Comment

Hi Tony, Thanks for your pm. Great thread and very nice work.
        I do have 2 RKs. Both are zinc badges.
        One is 2.0 and other is 4.0; I got them both from e-stand for some time.
        I noticed my 4.0 badge and its pin are thicker than 2.0
        and the weight is also heavier, 26.3gm vs. 20.5gm
        How do they compare to other member's RKs?

Keep up the good work.
        Best Regards,
        Sihong
        Attached Files

Comment

Left is 2.0 Right is 4.0
          Attached Files

Comment

Tony,Pretty neat thread!I just came across it last night.Here is my R.K. It looks alot better when held in hand.I need to upgrade my camera! Regards,Darrick
            Attached Files

Comment

2nd
              Attached Files

Comment

Last
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Darrick
                  Last
                  I recently obtained a Tombak version where the R.K. is located right at the top of the waves (also the same as the one in Post 22). Any idea how the different types relate to period of manufacture?

Comment

i talked to a man at work who is a retired GM worker in the stamping division.He seems to think that rather than a different die (for each of the RK logo movements)..it's actually a reworking of a die several times and each time they build up a new section on the original die, moving the letter block up or down(in consideration of where the earliest pieces started out,top or bottom...)

Comment

Originally posted by emaroli View Post
                      I once had an RK with a double hit maker mark though it has long departed ways with me. I don't know the reason why the different maker marks maybe different reverse dies like the AGMK Close Combat Clasp? ~ED
                      Hi Ed,

Maybe bringing back an old thread, but my interest in the RK MS brought me to it. Ed, I may have your badge, or one of the same variants with the double-strike mm...a tombak badge...

Robert
                      Attached Files

Comment

caught in the act

Robert,

This is the perfect example for this thread, as the moving maker mark was caught red-handed in flagrante delicto.

thanks for sharing.

Tony

Comment

Thank you Tony,

This has been a wonderfully enlightening thread.

Robert

Comment

I want to add some observations to Tony's excellent study on RK maker mark levels.

After poring over as many postings as I could find on all sites, I ended up with 8 different levels of the maker mark, thus expanding on Tony's original 5 levels. I've compiled the observations into the following table which also correlates these 8 levels to the "Entasis designation" under Tony's system.

I believe this system also roughly suggests a timeline of production, with the tombak examples at levels 1 to 3 and the late-war 9-wave variants at levels 6 to 8. I think Doug's posting (#24) is probably close to the explanation of the downward migration of the maker mark. As the reverse dies became worn down they may have filled in the maker mark and engraved new marks in successively lower positions. Perhaps a repair to the obverse resulted in the appearance of the 9th wave. At least it's good working theory for the time being.

Again many thanks to Tony for his pioneering work in this area.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Norm F; 12-12-2010, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Norm,

Impressive expansion of Tony’s study!

After going through my files variants 1-8 which you depicted seem very consistent. Agree that 2 and 4 are the most common. I have seen another example of variant 7 but will be able to take and post pictures after Christmas.
                              I have found only 2 examples not fully matching your system (pictures found on the web enclosed). IMO these examples represent variant 4 but with a dull left water crest.

If I could add something to yours and Tony's conclusions I would say that all variants, except of variant 8, share a common feature of slightly concave spout reverse.

Kind regards,
                              Hubert

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Norm,

Congratulations on a wonderful expansion to the initial study, which really only dealt with the maker's mark position but you've taken the scope across several dimensions.

I know you have posted elsewhere the obverse of some of these, but if you get the chance perhaps you can also post on this thread the accompanying obverse for each RK minesweeper you posted.

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X