No announcement yet.

Hilfskreuzer Sterling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Militaria Berlin just sold a beautiful STERLING example w/o meridian lines on their Fri update. It had a lot of gold finish left on it, one of the best I have ever seen for sale.

Gary B
    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
      Militaria Berlin just sold a beautiful STERLING example w/o meridian lines on their Fri update. It had a lot of gold finish left on it, one of the best I have ever seen for sale.

Gary B
      Yes indeed, already counted that one since it's the same one posted by Matthias back in 2011 here:
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...04#post4884204
      The same badge was offered back in 2012 as well. These things are so uncommon that it's more noticeable when the same one comes up again.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 11-05-2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

These are so cool. I still need one to complete my collection!!

Comment

Update on frequencies. Now, to date I've seen:
          4 examples in Tombak with meridian lines, unmarked
          2 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 3 "STERLING" mark
          6 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 2 "STERLING" mark
          9 examples of the silver with no meridian lines and the Type 1 "STERLING" mark

So that's 21 so far -- 4 Tombak and 17 silver

Comment

also weitze has one for sale which type is it ?
            https://www.weitze.com/militaria/86/...l?t=1491515150

Comment

The expensive type.

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                The expensive type.

Yes indeed. Fasol, if you read farther back in the thread, you'll see that Weitze badge in post #27.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

The latest Weitze update included a nice example with the uncommon "Type 3" maker mark. (This is AC# 7.1.2 in the comprehensive Auxiliary Cruiser badge classification.)

From the description: "Reverse scratched with "CHALL". Werner Chall was a member of the auxiliary cruiser "Michel". The last posting of Challs was the personnel reserve camp of the Kriegsmarine in Ashinoyu (Japan). His repatriation took place Feb./March 1947 on the "Marine Jumper" from Yokohama to Bremerhaven."

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Closeups. Only the third example of this variant posted to date.
                    Attached Files

Comment

So now the updated frequency statistics for these badges on the internet is as follows:

4 examples in Tombak with meridian lines, unmarked (AC# 7.1.1)
                      3 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 3 "STERLING" mark (AC# 7.1.2)
                      6 examples of the silver with meridian lines and Type 2 "STERLING" mark (AC# 7.1.3)
                      9 examples of the silver with no meridian lines and the Type 1 "STERLING" mark (AC# 7.1.4)

That's 22 so far -- 4 Tombak and 18 silver. Up until now, all the fakes on the market have been of the type without meridian lines, i.e. copies of AC# 7.1.4.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

another one showed up it comes from a group of sailor from THOR
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fasol View Post
                          another one showed up it comes from a group of sailor from THOR
                          Yes, I already included that example in the badge count. (AC# 7.1.3 in the classification).

I opened a separate thread on that interesting grouping.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Last edited by Norm F; 07-30-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X