Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Japanese Minesweeper badge (!)

Hi Guys,

A large and remarkable grouping surfaced a year ago in Germany from the estate of Obermechanikersmaat Rudolf Hempel who served on "Thor" in Japan, and which I notice is now hitting the market intact.

Aside from the facts that it was an amazingly detailed grouping from a sailor serving in Japan (and far beyond my pay grade) there was one extra feature above all others that caught my eye.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

The Japanese Auxiliary Cruiser badge (AC# 7.1.3 in the classification system) was nice to see and I guess the Japanese EK1's would excite those who collect such things, but you can see what got me most excited (for those who know my narrow focus of study ) -- a "Japanese" Minesweeper!
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm not a KM or badge collector for that matter but I love the threads on French and Japanese badges. I would love to see more. Definitely an awesome grouping. Did a forum member get it? Jim

Comment

Included in the estate were all the award documents, including the Japan-issued award certificates for the EK1, Auxiliary Cruiser badge and Minesweeper badge.

There are two award documents for the Minesweeper badge bearing the same date of February 8, 1943 -- one issued in Tokyo and the other "an bord". The first is signed by Vizeadmiral Paul Wenneker and the second by Vizeadmiral Hans Stohwasser.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
          I'm not a KM or badge collector for that matter but I love the threads on French and Japanese badges. I would love to see more. Definitely an awesome grouping. Did a forum member get it? Jim
          The entire grouping has only just been listed on a European dealer's site (see water mark on some of the photos), but will no doubt require deeper pockets than most of us can manage. Fortunately, the history can be shared by all.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's that amazing one-of-a-kind Minesweeper badge.

When I first saw the images I thought it was a rare product commissioned from the same Japanese jeweller who produced the Tombak and silver Auxiliary Cruiser badges (cf: http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...d.php?t=862157), but on further scrutiny it appears to be a unique on-board modification of a "standard" silver Japanese Auxiliary Cruiser badge. It appears that the interior motif of the AC badge was cut out and a piece of scrap plate brass bearing the incscription "Wireless Set, Serial No. 40" was hammered into an explosion motif and soldered into the cut-out wreath, requiring a crude replacement catch in the process.

One of the two Minesweeper award documents dated Feb 8, 1943 mentions "an Bord", and it makes sense that a German Auxiliary Cruiser crew would have access to metal salvaged from British ships, like that piece from a wireless set. In fact, as a Mechaniker, Hempel himself may have had the skill set to make this modification.

So it's probably not so much a "Japanese-made" Minesweeper as an on-board made Minesweeper utilizing a Japanese-made Auxiliary Cruiser badge. A really fascinating artifact and an ingenious way to make a Minesweeper badge on board in the moment.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

An abundance of paperwork including Hempel's service record showing that he qualified for the Minesweeper badge serving on "Burgenland" on minesweeper duty.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 07-30-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

The grouping also includes his second Minesweeper badge, a mint Tombak R.K. that he obviously kept unworn.
                Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting group, thanks for sharing

Mike

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I could not figure out how to save the images.

I do not believe it had been purchased yet.

Gary B
                    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

eye candy
                      Attached Files

Comment

Amazing historical group Norm.
                        How much is it, it says you have to be a VIP member to see the price?
                        Best - Greg

Comment

group

Originally posted by greg1878 View Post
                          Amazing historical group Norm.
                          How much is it, it says you have to be a VIP member to see the price?
                          Best - Greg

It is online tomorow at moment only in pre-view.

Comment

Wonderful group and extremely interesting individual pieces in there
                            Kind regards,
                            Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

SOLD 18.990,00 €

Wayne

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X