Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Watch Officer Badge (Abzeichen des Wachhabenden Offiziers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another in wear....

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Originally posted by RonR View Post
      Another in wear....

Great photo, Ron. Appears to be a ceremonial event. The Kapitänleutnant with the Watch Officer's badge has retired officer shoulder boards.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        Great photo, Ron. Appears to be a ceremonial event. The Kapitänleutnant with the Watch Officer's badge has retired officer shoulder boards.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Agree, a great photo. Norm, why do you say that the Wachtoffizier is ausser Dienste? Maybe just not part of the ceremony as he doesn't have the fore & aft hat nor the dress shoulder boards. I have seen a lot of pictures of officers on active service that have the securing loop for the gala shoulder straps, but wearing standard shoulder boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Norm,

You are likely right as here is another photo from the group.....

Attached Files
          RonR

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
            Agree, a great photo. Norm, why do you say that the Wachtoffizier is ausser Dienste? Maybe just not part of the ceremony as he doesn't have the fore & aft hat nor the dress shoulder boards. I have seen a lot of pictures of officers on active service that have the securing loop for the gala shoulder straps, but wearing standard shoulder boards.
            I just assumed those were the braid loops for a retired officer as in this image attached (from The Marshal's Baton website). You say securing loops for gala shoulder straps look similar?

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's my Dad in late 1939 with the Watch Officer's badge when he was Funkmeister on the Von der Groeben, the mother ship for the 3rd Räumbootsflottille.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great photo Norm.

John

Comment

I am looking at this one. Any thoughts? It looks just like the one from post #71 which Norm judged as original-looking badge. It's tombac badge, with some nice green patina on it.
                  I'd like more opinions...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andjelo,

I like it of course since I have the same kind , but it's worth pointing out that as usual for the particular dealer this is coming from, the obverse has been cleaned and polished which unfortunately obscures it's antiquity and removed what little gilding may have remained. You can see the more natural patina on the reverse. But still a nice looking original Watch Officer's badge in my opinion.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

I completely agree with you Norm.
                      Thanks.

and what about the second one they have?
                      Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion it's possibly an original zinc version but with a repainted obverse.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Dienstabzeichen des Wachhabenden Offiziers

It's probably me but I haven't seen these a lot. Anyone has one in its collection?

Comment

Hi sudhafen,

That's a great photo you have of the Wachoffiziers Abzeichen (Watch Officer's badge) in wear. That's the first time I can recall seeing it on a Coastal Artillery officer's uniform -- usually seen on the blue uniform. Very interesting.

Here's a thread with more examples:
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=55732

Best regards,
                            ---Norm

(uploading your photo from the host server)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for pointing me to the topic Norm. For some reason it didn't show up in my search. Interesting information, I never knew about this badge until I got this photo.

Maybe a mod can merge these threads?

Comment

Great photo.

It is the first image i have seen of the Watch Officer badge in wear on the "grey uniform".

Very nice.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X