EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Watch Officer Badge (Abzeichen des Wachhabenden Offiziers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The post war Assman style.
    Attached Files

Comment

Based on the finish and details Tom's badge has a original look to my eyes.
      best wishes,
      jeff
      Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Top logo = wartime
        Below = postwar

As you can see, the first example by Norm (posts 36 and 37) is postwar. This relates to my comments about the badge of Tom's which is period as it is not one of the these Assman types postwar. John
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John R.; 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

More pics!

Hi All,
          I received the Watch Officer's badge that I bought from Tom and it looks great. Thought I'd post a few more pics for reference.
          It seems to be a brass/Tombak cold die stamped badge with a gilt lacquer with remants remaining.
          Here's a closeup showing the attachment.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John R.; 11-04-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

verdigris

Traces of verdigris on the base metal on the wreath. You can see some of the original lacquer on the tip of the anchor.
            Attached Files

Comment

Do

At some point someone scratched DO into the broad pin. Likely stands for Duty Officer or Deck Officer or Dienst Offizier, depending on English or German -- another name for the Officer of the Watch or Wachoffizier. I like it!
              I've also seen pics on the net of badges that seem to be zinc with a gilt coating. Anyone have some closeups to post?
              Cheers.
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Other examples in wear.
                Attached Files

Comment

Another.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Today my watch officers badge arrived. Looking at the Assmann mark i think it´s a postwar made one. It has been glued on a display and there´s much glue left on the badge (will remove it) and he clip is shortened. I bought this one on crappy pics on ebay and it was very very cheap so it´s not a desaster i got a postwar one. I´m still collecting 57er KM too and it fits perfect in that section. Even the postwar ones are not easy to find.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Three Prong Backed Badge

I noticed that while it is talked about here in the thread, no one has posted a picture of the three pronged attachment version of this badge. So here it is! Needless to say the top prong is missing. Sorry for the quality, I scanned it as my digital is not available right now. Thought you may like to see this version. Pot metal that has been gilded. No maker mark anywhere.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Seewolf View Post
                        Today my watch officers badge arrived. Looking at the Assmann mark i think it´s a postwar made one. It has been glued on a display and there´s much glue left on the badge (will remove it) and he clip is shortened. I bought this one on crappy pics on ebay and it was very very cheap so it´s not a desaster i got a postwar one. I´m still collecting 57er KM too and it fits perfect in that section. Even the postwar ones are not easy to find.
                        Correct, postwar version based on the maker mark. John

Comment

and here its mine..original war time Assmann in near mint condition

Comment

Originally posted by magnusmilitaria View Post
                            and here its mine..original war time Assmann in near mint condition
                            Sorry Mark, I believe that's another post-war example.

Regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, check the style of the mark with the marks at the top of this thread. That mark indicates a postwar made badge. Not a fake, since they still use this badge, but not a wartime example.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                                Yes, check the style of the mark with the marks at the top of this thread. That mark indicates a postwar made badge. Not a fake, since they still use this badge, but not a wartime example.

John

Hi John,

As I read this thread then it's authentic post war but cannot be truly called Kriegsmarine as that entity ended with the collapse of the Third Reich. Correct?

Regards,
                                Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X