ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Bacqueville" Kriegsmarine Badges are...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A bit more study of these rules would help in forming an opinion as to whether the French were allowed to just make these, or just made 'period fakes'"

Bingo. My belief is only that these are wartime badges, manufactured in France. They might have been made without permission, and you could call them "period fakes." But I believe that they are period.
    George

Comment

And....

I would really like some feedback on my interpretation of the translation of "Leistungsgemienschaft Deutscher Ordernshersteller."
      George

Comment

You translated and interpreted it exactly right, George.
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Thank you.
          George

Comment

Remember Mussert from the Dutch NSB invented the Mussertcross with big swastika..and yes ,it was not allowed,he didn't ask for a approval....,but they still exist and are in many collections nowadays..!
            So,badges/medals were made and needed a approval..
            No approval...fake badges..?
            Maybe the French Navy badges were just too ugly..,who knows..?

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank H
              You translated and interpreted it exactly right, George.
              Inded he interprets the name correctly... but not the mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté
                Remember Mussert from the Dutch NSB invented the Mussertcross with big swastika..and yes ,it was not allowed,he didn't ask for a approval....,but they still exist and are in many collections nowadays..!
                So,badges/medals were made and needed a approval..
                No approval...fake badges..?
                Maybe the French Navy badges were just too ugly..,who knows..?

Jos.
                I think you have hit the nail on the head without knowing it.
                Musserts cross was an unofficial homemade design. not official...no control.

Official German awards are something different.

Comment

Dear Chris,

That German quote you refer to says "unerwünscht". This for me implies that it very likely already had happened at that time. No need to say something is "unerwünscht" if it hasn´t occured. At least that is the usual useage of that word.
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

QUOTE=Frank H]Dear Chris,

That German quote you refer to says "unerwünscht". This for me implies that it very likely already had happened at that time. No need to say something is "unerwünscht" if it hasn´t occured. At least that is the usual useage of that word.[/QUOTE]
                    Frank,
                    if the authorising body says it is not wished for...it is not likely that they have authorised it...is it?

I make no case for as to whether these are wartime or postwar... my only interest inthe matter is as to whether they could be considered official approved awards... or knock offs to sell to drunken sailors in Lorient.

My personal view is soon after the occupation some enterprising froggie made badges... the sale was nipped in the bud... and probably so was the wearing.

Leaving badges that have a simple "Souvenier" appeal.

Comment

I do not completely disagree with you, I think they are period but not authorized. But does that make them less interesting? Not less interesting for sure than an authorized badge that spent its life on a shelf in some company´s stock.

(PS: sorry for making you work double time! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
                      Cheers, Frank

Comment

What Frank said

Ditto.
                        George

Comment

Dont worry, all done with mirrors...

Here is the next logical question....
                          Many studio photos are of a superb quality indeed... you can somtimes even tell the maker of an award..... anyone seen one of these badges on one...they should be recognisable on a good shot.....

Comment

Maybe they were made for drunk sailors to be given to the french ladies?????

So, perhaps we should be looking for pictures of the ladies???

Terrence

Comment

Good thought, Chris

Somewhere in France, some Pierre guy, who knows the truth, is probably
                              laughing his ass off at us.

However, I'd like to side with Frank. Period made.
                              Some high minister of such and such probably got peed off that the
                              Frenchies were making these and banned the sale and wear.

Ken

Comment

While your guys are at it here is another question that some of you might be able to answer.

Did any of you ever wonder why no other KM badge by any maker is so often encountered in a nice cardboard box then the French KM badges

KR
                                Philippe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X