CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Bacqueville" Kriegsmarine Badges are...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jos, you're preaching to the choir. The people who voted against it didn't state why...

Comment

Before anyone gets on his high horse. In my post, I meant no disrespect
      towards Mr Lumsden. I have several of his books and use them often for
      reference. His reference to French badges only sounds similar to those we
      are discussing. You can judge the similarity for yourself. I shall remain neutral.

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken. I certainly did not read any disrespect in your thread. Nor did I intend any disrespect to Robin. I also think that his book contains much valuable information, and I commend him for it. However...

...It is interesting to note that Mr. Lumsden, on this Forum, has cast dispersions on French-made KM badges in general. He makes NO distinction between cast-in zinc badges versus die-forged brass badges. In the 2000 edition of his book, however, he SPECIFICALLY refers ONLY to die-forged brass badges as those having been made in the 1970's. He makes NO REFERENCE to the zinc badges. Nor does he display pictures of either type of badge.

Therefore, one can only assume that his reference to the fake badges was regarding the die-forged brass badges.....NOT the zinc badges.

I think this is an EXTREMELY important issue, since his post on this Forum seemed to pertain to ALL French-made KM Badges, and many collectors might be questioning their collections based upon his comments.

I am also looking forward to Mr. Lumsden's reply to this thread.
        Last edited by Lorenzo Brown; 01-28-2004, 11:24 PM.
        Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Lorenzo

Currently Mr. Weitze has several Bacqueville offerings on his web site.
          Two of wich are described as being in buntmetal. You can look at them
          at www.weitze.com and decide for yourself. Not being at all knowledgeable
          about these, I'll refrain from making any judgements.

Regards
          Ken

Comment

Everyone please note.

You can say ANYTHING you like about me and I will NOT be offended.

It's called FREE SPEECH.

After the slagging I got across the front pages of the papers in this country a couple of years ago, I developed such a thick skin that I am now

100% IMMUNE TO CRITICISM !!!

Comment

When it turns personal, it loses all value. I don't think that will happen here.

I repeat my question: Is there any basis in fact for assuming these are made in France by Bacqueville?
              Last edited by Brian S; 01-29-2004, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Here's a thought!

Maybe some of Prosper's buddies that were making the other fakes made these too?

Comment

Ouch !!!!

Fare enough, Robin. I respect your position.
                  However. Have you received any new information, concerning these
                  French types, to make you form any new opinions about their authenticity?
                  If so, could you share that with us? Maybe you could help solve this mystery.

Best regards
                  Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                    Jos, you're preaching to the choir. The people who voted against it didn't state why...
                    "Es ist grundsätzlich unerwünscht, dass der Handel mit Deutschen Orden und Ehrenzeichen von ausländischen Firmen betriebe wird. Ein Bedürfnis heirfür kann auch nicht anerkannt werden, das Inhaber deutscher Auszeichnungensich Ersatz oder Zweitstücke ohne grosse Mühe von einer Frima aus dem Reich beschafte können."

So much to official production by french firms....

Comment

"Unerwunscht," nicht "verboten."

And... has anyone claimed that the production was "official"?
                      George

Comment

And speaking of the LDO and translations, I never got an answer to this question that I raised in the other thread almost a year ago:

I've been doing some thinking about these badges myself, and one thing I've thought about is the question of the LDO and why these examples may not conform to its standards.
                        "LDO" is short for "Leistungsgemienschaft Deutscher Ordernshersteller." If my high school and college German serves me correctly, that translates (roughly) as "Performace Association of German Awards Manufacturers."
                        Now, since "Ordernshersteller" is one word, that indicates to me that the performance association was overseeing German manufacturers (i.e., manufacturers which were located in Germany -- "Deutscher" modifies "Hersteller," not "Orderns"), and was therefore possibly not overseeing all versions of German awards that might have been made in a non-German country, such as France.
                        So, maybe the LDO didn't have any jurisdiction over (or concern with) versions of German awards made in France.
                        Thoughts?
                        George

Comment

Yes French firms.

What is a German firm?

A firm 'owned' and run by Germans, no?

Does its geographical location define whether it is German or does its ownership.

I would assume ownership, or, occupation.

You are familiar with force majeur ?

Comment

Unfortunately lost on my old computer (gordon or someone may be able to supply them again)

are examples of products being sent to the LDO in order for the LDO to inspect them...... before the LDO gave the companies authorisation to make them.

Companies could not just decide to make badges... they gave tenders, examples and were then given permission/contracts if the need was there and the quality had been approved.

A bit more study of these rules would help in forming an opinion as to whether the French were allowed to just make these, or just made "period fakes"

""""""Unerwunscht," nicht "verboten."

And... has anyone claimed that the production was "official"?""""""

Bingo... so if the Froggies did make and sell them under the counter.... what do you have? An old curiosity piece?

Comment

I only have one -- Auxiliary Cruiser

"what do you have? An old curiosity piece?"

I've never really considered it anything else. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
                              George

Comment

Hello,
                                I think that "Bacqueville" is the distribute and "Mourgeon" the maker.
                                No problems in France with this badges.
                                Regards
                                Michel
                                Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X