RK Tombak Minesweeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
    The scanner I used to copy this one could have been set a little too bright. The true color may have been a tad "darker" but it was pretty close to this
    Yes, to get a true representation is really a stroke of luck, even after white balance, etc... It's all in the quality of the camera, and the knowledge of the shooter - I suffer in this area, but I try.

Robert

Comment

Yes. Cameras offer more options on photo quality or ability to change the contrast etc. much more so than a scanner (at least the one I have). Here is the same badge with under Camera photo conditions. I do know the lighting was too dark. So imagine a true representation 1/2 way between the scan and this one
      Attached Files

Comment

Very clear scan as before, Darrell. Very nice. But, the dull finish is still evident.

Giving more thought to this, I find it understandable that our two badges, even though by the same maker, could differ slightly in overall finish appearance. I see this happen with other TR badges by the same maker. Maybe this is due to new batches or lots of badges being finished with slightly different proportions of ingredients for their final 'coats.' Any thoughts on this, Darrell?

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
          ....' Any thoughts on this, Darrell?

Robert
          Not sure Robert. It could also be the time frame they were made. There was an excellent thread someone on WAF created on RK MS badges. From what I can (remember) there were at least 3 different versions of the RK Tombak badge. They all had sightly different positions of the RK relief maker mark on the reverse. It would be great to find that thread. I don't recollect if there was any mention of different finish on the variations.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
            Not sure Robert. It could also be the time frame they were made. There was an excellent thread someone on WAF created on RK MS badges. From what I can (remember) there were at least 3 different versions of the RK Tombak badge. They all had sightly different positions of the RK relief maker mark on the reverse. It would be great to find that thread. I don't recollect if there was any mention of different finish on the variations.
            Thanks Darrell, I'll look for it.

Robert

Comment

I found a thread on the different wave ripple count, maker marks, etc...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...RK+Minesweeper

Nothing that I can find on finish variation. From what I see in this and other threads I may have the only recorded 'double relief' maker mark.

Lot of 'to-do' regarding this lowly minesweeper. They may be one of the least significant of all KM badges, but one would surely think different seeing a secondary explosion off of your stern at high sea.

Robert

Comment

Robert .. that was the thread ! Good find. It's very imformative.

ED does mention in that thread:

Originally posted by emaroli View Post
                I once had an RK with a double hit maker mark though it has long departed ways with me. I don't know the reason why the different maker marks maybe different reverse dies like the AGMK Close Combat Clasp? ~ED
                So it appears they did exist for whatever reason

Comment

Hi,

Darrell, looking at your example, it appears to ne that the wreath is exposed tombak basemetal rather than gilt finish - ie it's very heavily worn.

Robert, I'll have to dig out my example and re-check the finish to see how it may have been applied.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                    Hi,

Darrell, looking at your example, it appears to ne that the wreath is exposed tombak basemetal rather than gilt finish - ie it's very heavily worn.

Robert, I'll have to dig out my example and re-check the finish to see how it may have been applied.

Regards
                    Mike
                    Mike I'm pretty sure it was the original finish. The reverse showed minimal wear. However, I don;t have the badge anymore so these are the only pics I have left
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                      I've been searching for an RK MS since I heard one member praise them so.

Robert
                      That person wouldn't have been me, would it? Then again, I've seen a number of members praise this maker before. I do rave over the tombak examples of these and I am a complete sucker for them. If I see one, I do my best to snap it up. From the amount of "too late" emails I've had regarding these, they haven't gone unnoticed by everyone else either. I've never bought a zincer though. The detail is amazing on the strikes, and the quality is very fine. It's also not quite as commonplace as Schwerin or some others that are out there; tombak examples of the RKs are certainly not "rare" but they dont arise overly frequently. Especially when you're looking for them. Nice badge!

Josh

Comment

Thanks everyone,

So far all of my Kriegs pieces are tombak (I've just confessed not having any Kriegs CCC's). I like them much better with their gilt finish and fine detailing. I don't think this will be my last RK MS, I really like them. It's a shame RK made so few Kriegs badges, isn't this the only one?

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X