Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Tombak Minesweeper

Hi folks,

I just picked up this MS from the e-stand recently, and wanted to show it off. It's personally engraved 'Lang'. Man, there were a lot of Langs. This is the third badge I have with Lang on the reverse. I see a second light relief maker mark just above the main relief. Maybe the reverse die slipped...? The RK's were very nice badges, good guilding both on the eruption and the wreath.

Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robert,

A very nice example. These early tombak RKs hold their gilt (not fire-gilt though) finish very well and are quality badges. A great addition to any collection!

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thank you, Mike , for the info regarding the gilt finish. I wasn't aware of this not being fire-gilt. I've been searching for an RK MS since I heard one member praise them so. The hinge on these is from very unusual stock, but seems to serve the purpose well. Nice tapering pin like you would find on an early EK, not on a Kriegs badge. I really like it.

Robert

Comment

Mike,

I see what you mean about the gilt. Up on the upper edge of the wing there is an area that looks like a thin layer of gilt has worn through to a dark bronze-colored base metal. Do you know if the badge was electoplated with nickel silver before the gold gilt was applied? I've never heard of this process before, a gilt plate.

Robert

Comment

I agree with Mike. The RK's have quite a different Gilt color (more of a subdued look). Quite obvious when shown off with other badges that have the fire-gilt finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                I agree with Mike. The RK's have quite a different Gilt color (more of a subdued look). Quite obvious when shown off with other badges that have the fire-gilt finish.
                You're exactly right Darrell,

It is more of a subdued look, yet still very nice. It lacks that 'sparkle' of a fine fire-gilt piece, and looks more like a worn fire-gilt.

Robert

Comment

Nice one Robert. I see your'e into a little of everything, like me.
                  Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fdodge View Post
                    Nice one Robert. I see your'e into a little of everything, like me.
                    Frank
                    Yes, I've decided to build back some Kriegs items. This time I am looking for personalized badges with honest wear. It's been a satisfying hunt. As I mentioned before this piece is inscribed 'Lang'.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                      You're exactly right Darrell,

It is more of a subdued look, yet still very nice. It lacks that 'sparkle' of a fine fire-gilt piece, and looks more like a worn fire-gilt.

Robert
                      I think the word I was looking for was "Caramel" color finish

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                        I think the word I was looking for was "Caramel" color finish
                        Maybe 'golden vanilla'?

Kind regards,

Robert

Comment

Maybe 'golden vanilla'?

Kind regards,

Robert
                          You got it. Even if the peepers are getting old and weary.

Here's one I used to own. I was a sucker for the more illustrious Fire Gilt of Schwerin and sold this one off.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That one could have used some photo editing to give it some pizazz, Darrell. It's really caramel as you said. Wow!

Here are some badges, Junckers, to compare the finish on my RK MS with...this particular MS has some golden tones...

Kind regards,

Robert
                            Attached Files

Comment

That one could have used some photo editing to give it some pizazz, Darrell. It's really caramel as you said. Wow!
                              ......Robert
                              The scanner I used to copy this one could have been set a little too bright. The true color may have been a tad "darker" but it was pretty close to this

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X