UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening the mystery box: Rettenmaier, maker of combat awards and lots more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since it seems like their views are not totally appreciated, I just want to express my opinion that the observations by Andreas and Daniel are relevant to this and the many other discussions concerning unmarked badges.

If we did not have differing opinions, this would not be healthy for our forum when various theories, no matter how clever or logically derived and expressed, are stated. In fact, it might verge on the boring as we stare at these little artifacts on our computer screens.

We need debate, we need opposing views, or we end up with speculation accepted as fact. Scientifically, the distinction between a hypothesis and a law and a theory and a law, are often blurry. Substantial testing is required for a theory to become a law, but to be clear, the testing is not required to be exhaustive. I think the doubts expressed by Andreas and Daniel fit into this process of testing.

Certainly, a highly creative individual or individuals can formulate a powerful theory without a lot of evidence to support it, at first anyway. However, testing can never prove anything as absolute truth, but a consensus can be obtained that the interpretation is provisionally correct.

Another German is a perfect example of the above in practice--Albert Einstein.

I have resisted many of these theories on KM badges, as is well known to Norm and Dietrich, but I accept most of them now--specifically the Schickle, Mayer, Zimmerman connection.

Do we know that an umarked Schwerin U-boat badge, identical in all respects to the marked version, was actually produced by Schwerin? No we do not but I accept that they were.

So to Andreas and Daniel, you opinions are appreciated by myself and probably many others that do not post here and on other forums even if many collectors tend to agree, based on the totality of the evidence presented so far, on who most probably produced certain unmarked badges from this period based on the theories articulated by Norm, Tom and others.

I categorically do not believe for a second that there is any intent to boost the prices of unmarked badges although that might be a consequence of this work. I for one would resist the newly created price point of "attributed" makers for unmarked badges and spend my money on marked examples if that is what is going on. The seller can keep his wares in that case and collectors can express their dissatisfaction with such valuation manipulation in the marketplace.

Naturally, much of the above can be lost if posts tilt to incivility, mocking, caustic ridicule, contempt concerning language ability (although I will be the first to admit native language ability is extremely helpful as the discussion concerning the documents posted by Giel attest), especially now. I do not think native German was particularly important 30 years ago, but the state of the hobby is far beyond those days. So we absolutely need our German members to help in this regard since if we are going to worry about a scratch at the 2 PM position in a die, or possible pin variations by a particular maker and call it a new variant, we need German speakers who can properly research and translate/interpret original documentation--the exchange between Dietrich, Andreas, and Daniel above is a case in point.

My two cents.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
      So to Andreas and Daniel, you opinions are appreciated by myself and probably many others that do not post here and on other forums even if many collectors tend to agree
      Well said John, and I agree 100%. This hobby would be very boring if we didn't have these good discussions. I love them and I enjoy the mental exercises that ensue after Andreas or Daniel (and others) come back with a very good argument against what I or others have posted. When it is done in a civil way, there is nothing more exciting in this hobby than these discoveries and discussions in my opinion.

Tom
      If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
      [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

It is interesting to compare the pricelist shown at the beginning of this thread with these "official" pricelists shown by member BassD on another forum some time ago.
        Attached Files

Comment

List 2
          Attached Files

Comment

List 3
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
              It is interesting to compare the pricelist shown at the beginning of this thread with these "official" pricelists shown by member BassD on another forum some time ago.
              Hi Gentry,

Thanks for pointing that out.

That price list shows the official LDO-set prices from the November 1944 issue of Deutsche Uniformen-Zeitschrift, (DUZ for short). You can see that the wholesale prices are slightly higher there than Rettenmaier's prices in July, 1944. I guess this means either the prices went up slightly in the intervening few months or that the DUZ official LDO prices were slightly higher because of including the packaging?

You wouldn't expect that Rettenmaier would be allowed to undercut the LDO set pricing. Interestingly, the retail price of the bronze IAB posted by Giel is bang on the official LDO retail price.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Norm,
                I just love seeing period paperwork in this field. What is even better about the Rettenmaier pricelist is that it is (for me at least) the first pricelist directly from a manufacturer seen with a date of post-1941 (if there are others it would be great to see them!). We have all seen the manufacturer catalogs such as those from S&L, Assmann, Deumer, Schickle, etc., but none of those are after 1941. It has even been suggested that no manufacturer produced a catalog after 1941 because, with the advent of the LDO, there was no need anymore. To see Rettenmaier's list with this date is a real bonus.
                Best,
                Gentry

Comment

Rettenmaier's list seems to be an order form for the retailer to send back to Rettenmaier to place his orders. The hand-written date of 1944 at the top is presumably the date of the order (which I guess wasn't placed with this sheet since it remained in the shop). So the price list itself could be an old one from 1943 or 1942, I suppose. In other words, these might not be Rettenmaier's 1944 prices.
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Has to be at least 1943 as it has the Demjansk shield on it.

Comment

I WANT THAT IAB

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                        All marked Assmann so there is no question who made them. On their CCCs, Juncker used at least 4 die sets, same with FLL. All maker marked, so there is not disputing this.
                        Tom, re-read my answer ... i was not talking about marked badges and i was not questioning maker marked badges.

I was asked and talking about unmarked badges with the design of a maker marked badge. In this case i say that an unmarked badge can't be automatically linked to the firm which did the maker marked brother.
                        Best regards, Andreas

______
                        The Wound Badge of 1939
                        www.vwa1939.com
                        The Iron Cross of 1939- out now!!! Place your orders at:
                        www.ek1939.com

Comment

Hi Gentry,

i don't think that we can compare those lists together. The published list by BassD shows the prices for LDO shops to private byers. The Rettenmaier lists shows the prices from the maker to the LDO shop.

The difference between the two list is the profit margin of the LDO shop.

Edit:
                          The published list from BassD has a Maker to LDO shop price tag too ... here the prices from Rettenmeier are close to the official prices.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Andreas Klein; 11-15-2013, 05:01 AM.
                          Best regards, Andreas

______
                          The Wound Badge of 1939
                          www.vwa1939.com
                          www.ek1939.com

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                            That price list shows the official LDO-set prices from the November 1944 issue of Deutsche Uniformen-Zeitschrift, (DUZ for short). You can see that the wholesale prices are slightly higher there than Rettenmaier's prices in July, 1944. I guess this means either the prices went up slightly in the intervening few months or that the DUZ official LDO prices were slightly higher because of including the packaging?
                            Imo the list from Rettenmaier contains the package too. They don't list it for the IAB and so on because there was no case for this award so it was clear that they could only deliever it with a paper or LDO bag.

You wouldn't expect that Rettenmaier would be allowed to undercut the LDO set pricing.
                            For my understanding that was possible. The official prices were meant as maximum possible price so that it was possible for the maker to be cheaper. I remember documents for the eastern front medal were a maker is writting to the Präsidialkanzlei that the official price is to low and he isn't able to produce for this price.
                            Best regards, Andreas

______
                            The Wound Badge of 1939
                            www.vwa1939.com
                            www.ek1939.com

Comment

Thanks, Andreas! This gives us an interesting look into how the "business" of badge production really worked when an entity like the LDO was involved over everything.

Comment

Has to be at least 1943 as it has the Demjansk shield on it.
                                rather the Kuban

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X