No announcement yet.

Pab p&l l/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the follow up Norm, very helpful to see the pieces of the puzzle in this thread.

I do see some differences on the P&L IABs versus the catalog image. But as you say, its the best match compared with any other IABs. But as far as the PABs go, they are a spot-on match. The only difference I can see is the eagle's legs, they appear more-squat in the catalog image vs. the actual badge. But again, its the best match.

I think this is the best way forward, those who think the link is sufficient can take comfort in called the badges out by maker. Those that don't think there is enough evidence can continue to call them "uknown maker" or "attributed", etc. Continuing to put out the evidence in a clear, concise way in these threads is helpful for future reference and collectors can read them and make up their own minds.

Tom
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
      The only difference I can see is the eagle's legs, they appear more-squat in the catalog image vs. the actual badge. But again, its the best match.
      Than you must be a blind man my friend....
      Best regards, Andreas

______
      The Wound Badge of 1939
      www.vwa1939.com
      The Iron Cross of 1939- out now!!! Place your orders at:
      www.ek1939.com

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        If you want to believe instead that none of them actually made it to market and they all disappeared completely and that KVK1 with the "Sport badge" setup was actually manufactured by B.H. Mayer then that is your right.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Hi Norm
        Read my post again I was talking only about the Frank + Reif iab which is talked to a rare Petz + Lorenz iab to make some extra money with it.

Ever thought about the point that perhaps the iab was the problem child?
        Best regards, Andreas

______
        The Wound Badge of 1939
        www.vwa1939.com
        www.ek1939.com

Comment

Congrats a great looking and rare badge!

Comment

Here's another interesting observation (to some anyway). This design of IAB also comes with a variant setup with lilypad hinge and slender square-wire catch. Interestingly, the P&L U-Boat can be found with the same setup.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Klein View Post
              Than you must be a blind man my friend....
              Very nice Andreas.......very professional. A new low for you.

Tom
              If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Here's another interesting observation (to some anyway). This design of IAB also comes with a variant setup with lilypad hinge and slender square-wire catch. Interestingly, the P&L U-Boat can be found with the same setup.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Hi Norm

I know you made the above comparison to strengthen the "P&L" connection in this thread, but I thought I would post this set up for you to see from an "Oberstein" design. For me this is interesting because imo whoever made the set ups you showed probably made the set up on the "Oberstein" design IAB. The set ups look identical in the way the main pin is soldered and the way the small hinge pin pokes out either end, as well as the catch looking identical. So although this set up is quite recognisable, it is not necessarily exclusive to any particular maker.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys

Can one of you please post one of the P&L marked sports badges that has the set up seen on the L/18 marked KVK, with this type of "fat" pin

Thanks

cheers
                  Graeme
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tom
                    Hi Tom

That seems a bit harsh. I am sure Andreas' comment was tongue in cheek.

We all have commented rashly in the past. Why don't you kiss and make up

cheers
                    Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                      Hi Norm

I know you made the above comparison to strengthen the "P&L" connection in this thread, but I thought I would post this set up for you to see from an "Oberstein" design. For me this is interesting because imo whoever made the set ups you showed probably made the set up on the "Oberstein" design IAB. The set ups look identical in the way the main pin is soldered and the way the small hinge pin pokes out either end, as well as the catch looking identical. So although this set up is quite recognisable, it is not necessarily exclusive to any particular maker.
                      Hi Graeme,

I agree that the badge you posted uses the same complete setup seen on the P&L-attributed IAB and PAB and GAB) on occasion. With the U-Boat comparison, I wasn't suggesting this setup was exclusive to P&L, only that it was one setup that does appear on P&L products since there is no other known candidate for the P&L U-Boat that exactly matches the P&L catalog.

The setup alone on the IAB does not prove the attribution but it narrows the list considerably, and then when taken together with the obverse design you get a more compelling story in my opinion. Again, each can draw their own conclusions.

Here's the same setup on the PAB that matches the P&L catalog.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                        Hi Guys

Can one of you please post one of the P&L marked sports badges that has the set up seen on the L/18 marked KVK, with this type of "fat" pin

Thanks

cheers
                        Graeme
                        Hi Graeme,

As far as I know the pre-war P&L Sports badge uses only the flat-surfaced main pin shown here. But this pin is also used on the P&L U-Boat badge which bears the three variant reverse setups seen below, so P&L obviously changed things up a bit (as did many other makers). And all of the top four badges in this compilation use the same distinctive spiral catch as well.

So P&L used all three setups on their U-Boat which are found on a variety of other products pictured in their catalog.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

As a brief aside, on the topic of the P&L spiral catch that appears on the KVK1, U-Boat and Sports badge, it's interesting to note that although there are catches on other maker's products that look quite similar, it appears the P&L is consistently distinguishable from the others when examining both ends of the spiral.

The closest match (so far) on another maker's product is on the Schickle U-Boat and Spanish Crosses which is interesting considering we know from original documentation posted previously by Karsten that the proprietor of P&L was formerly with Otto Shickle's firm. But even there the inner curl is possibly a bit shorter than on the P&L.

Of course these catches don't appear on the Heer badges but I just threw this in to complete the discussion on the P&L-attributed KVK1 shown by Graeme.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tom
                            Thanks for the comment ... simply open the eyes and compare badge and picture. Attached is a compare between the picture of the catalog and the Frank&Reif which you want so sell as the "closest match so far".

Even without a deep study you can quickly encouter 13 (!) differences between the real badge and the picture. The differences can be divided into two levels:

1. the minor differences marked with a circle

and

2. the massive differences marked qith a square

If i only look at level 2 than i can see a totally different design like:

- a different head design for the eagle
                            - different leaves
                            - a fiiled area between rifle and swaz
                            - missing iron sights at the rifle

So all at all the Frank&Reif design is totally different to the one in the P&L catalog and calling it "the closest match" is ....
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Andreas Klein; 08-14-2013, 03:17 AM.
                            Best regards, Andreas

______
                            The Wound Badge of 1939
                            www.vwa1939.com
                            www.ek1939.com

Comment

...we know from original documentation posted previously by Karsten that the proprietor of P&L was formerly with Otto Shickle's firm. .Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Hi Norm, that ist not true. Pleas read carefully...

als langjähriger Vertreter und Fachmann bei der Firma Otto Schickle, Pforzheim, habe ich mich am 1. Nov. 1939 in gleicher Branche in der Firma Petz & Lorzens... selbständig gemacht.

That means that he was a sales agent when he works for Schickle. And that he was now a independent sales agent wo sales the products from Petz und Lorenz. In German we call that a "selbständiger Handelsvertreter" who has the order for one or more firms to make business. He works in other name and for other acoount and not for himself. For every deal he make he get a bonus

When he was the proprietor of P&L there must be stand... mit der Firma selbständig gemacht and not... in der Firma... a litte but important difference from with and in

Nothing more and nothing less... but that is the problem when people are not undestand Germand docs right.

And now happy forensic with the needle systems... im out

Comment

... we know from original documentation posted previously by Karsten that the proprietor of P&L was formerly with Otto Shickle's firm.
                                ---Norm
                                Hi Norm,

i think there is a misunderstanding in the german language with that subject. We in germany would translate "proprietor" with business owner and that is not correct in that case.

Walter Lehder was only a travelling salesman who work for Otto Schickle and than worked later for Petz & Lorenz so the document posted by Karstens says:

"So far i sold stuff from and for Otto Schickle, now i'm selling stuff from and for Petz & Lorenz".

The document is nice for sure but worthless for any maker connection.
                                Last edited by Andreas Klein; 08-14-2013, 04:02 AM.
                                Best regards, Andreas

______
                                The Wound Badge of 1939
                                www.vwa1939.com
                                www.ek1939.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X