No announcement yet.

Luftschutz medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the medal has a copper coating it is an original. But I have to say from these pictures it is hard to see it.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
    - THE SS TK RING
    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Here's the reverse of my '60' marked zinc award ..

This shows a dark spot where a tiny blemish had compromised the silver coating and a pin head sized bit of zinc pest had started to form ... it was cleaned off and treated with Vaseline which has stopped it in it's tracks ... there is no 'copper layer' on a Katz & Deyhle zinc award.

Ian

Comment

Can you write the measurements (diameter and thickness) of your medal Ian?

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
        - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
          Can you write the measurements (diameter and thickness) of your medal Ian?
          As soon as I get chance (later this evening)

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
            Here's the reverse of my '60' marked zinc award ..

This shows a dark spot where a tiny blemish had compromised the silver coating and a pin head sized bit of zinc pest had started to form ... it was cleaned off and treated with Vaseline which has stopped it in it's tracks ... there is no 'copper layer' on a Katz & Deyhle zinc award.

Ian
            Ian, your medal could be from late production, made of "Kriegsmetall". Production was simplified without good preparation, without copper coating, therefore silver remains bad, wear out quickly. IMO
            Alex

Comment

Ok, dimensions time ..

Zinc Katz & Deyhle : from the top of the suspension ring to the base is 43mm, width is 38.3mm side to side and it's 5.25mm thick.

Unmarked Aluminium : from the top of the suspension ring to the base is 44mm, width is 39mm side to side and it's 6mm thick.

Cheers, Ian.

P.S.

Ian, your medal could be from late production, made of "Kriegsmetall". Production was simplified without good preparation, without copper coating, therefore silver remains bad, wear out quickly. IMO
              But the silver finish on mine is still excellent, there are no casting lumps or pits and the edges have a smooth finish ... and don't look like it's been 'finished' with an axe.

Comment

Did the thread die after skands medal turned out to have the measurements of an alu medal?

I thought the thread would really kick off after that...

/peter

Comment

Hi Peter, from my point of view, to know measurements are matching with other specimens shows that it is absolutely compatible with wartime pieces and I'm still convinced it is an original one.
                  Hard to add something more to this discussion.

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                  - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Possibly, an even more interesting point, is if this truly is a #134 produced piece?

Comments? Does anyone have a piece with #134 stamped on a suspension ring, for ANY type of medal?

Best,

Jeff

Comment

Where are we now?

Originally posted by Skyhawk View Post
                      Either way, this could be a pretty rare authentic piece or a clever reproduction! I hope the truth is discovered!
                      Hi guys,

Into our sixth page of discussion and where are we at this point? Well, I think Jeff summed up the progress quite well with the above quote from post #75.
                      "Either way, this could be a pretty rare authentic piece or a clever reproduction!"

I agree with Jeff's statement. I feel that we have not come up with anything conclusive, so far, about the actual medal. The ribbon issue was easy, but not so the medal. If the medal is original, then it is odd that none like this have surfaced before now. Unless, of course, it is very rare. Likewise, if it is fake, it is odd that more like it are not around. Unless it is a brand new fake that has yet to flood the collector market.

I'm not sure if there is much else that we can do other than to keep our eyes peeled for any other examples like this that might come along for an apples to apples comparison. And it would still be nice to see an example of the '134' marking from a Floch EK fake.

But as far as I'm concerned, this is not a wasted effort. It has been a very good discussion so far. Maybe we will get the answer we seek, someday, and then another puzzle will be solved. But it will only be solved through vigilance, study, and teamwork. I would like to thank everyone for the interesting and respectful discussion.

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Well, theme unexpectedly evolved very lively, it pleases me.
                        Thanks to all who expressed their opinion! Despite of some doubt regarding ring and ribbon, no claim that medal not genuine. On the contrary, more like a medal and is believed to be original. Whatever it is found later, I decided to keep medal.
                        It's real nice, very good workmanship, very detailed.
                        Until now it seems that only I have Luftschutz medal from Otto Klein!

Comment

Originally posted by SKAND View Post
                          very good workmanship, very detailed.
                          With the greatest of respect that is patently NOT the case.

When you take away the fake ribbon and questionable ring you are left with a zinc award with casting pits and a very roughly finished edge.

However, so long as you are happy with it that's all the matters.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by SKAND View Post
                            Until now it seems that only I have Luftschutz medal from Otto Klein!
                            Thats a very bold statement. But I guess you see the glass half full where I see it as half empty

/peter

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                              With the greatest of respect that is patently NOT the case.

When you take away the fake ribbon and questionable ring you are left with a zinc award with casting pits and a very roughly finished edge.

However, so long as you are happy with it that's all the matters.

Cheers, Ian.
                              Ian, casting drops are very few and edge finished fine, remember that there is a large magnification at my pictures! Ribbon I will change later and ring should not be replaced, it will be there.
                              Alex

Comment

Originally posted by VonPeter View Post
                                Thats a very bold statement. But I guess you see the glass half full where I see it as half empty

/peter
                                Because I optimistic!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X