Luftschutz medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alex,

I have been surfing the net in hopes of finding another '134' marked Luftschutz Medal but no luck with that so far. I will definitely post some pictures if I find one for comparison.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hello to all,

While checking for other Luftschutz Medals on the internet, I came across a well-made, die-struck reproduction that can be found in the link below. It is being sold as a reproduction for reenactors by Epic Militaria in the UK for £12.95.

http://epicmilitaria.com/product.php...edal-2nd-class

The ribbon does have black wefts, although it is still a modern weave and should be easily detectable as long as you know what to look for. The medal, however, looks very convincing. This could be a very dangerous fake, especially if it is struck from a proper base metal. In no time at all these reproductions will start getting bought up and passed off as original, if that hasn't already happened.

Stay vigilant, guys.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

And while Tom is out on a impossible(?) task here is 3 good 134 marks on the left and 2 pics on Skands medalmark on the right for comparison.

The 3 mm´s are from DKIG´s so not the best thing to compare whit but that is what we got.

Unfortunately I could not find a pic of a Floch 134 to show...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Yanacek View Post
          ...This could be a very dangerous fake, especially if it is struck from a proper base metal. In no time at all these reproductions will start getting bought up and passed off as original, if that hasn't already happened.

Stay vigilant, guys.

Best regards,
          Tom
          That's my thought too. I've pointed out it some posts ago:

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
          ... But we know very few about how many different makers were involved and their production, so it is hard make correct comparisons.

At the same time I think if someone were to do a good quality repro, at the moment we would have real difficullties to discover it.
          Hand finish is a good sign, but today in each field a deep study is needed. For this medal too, if not, we all know the risk.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
          - THE SS TK RING
          - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
          - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
          - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Hi Peter,

While I was out doing my impossible task, you beat me to the punch. I was also working on a maker mark comparison as I thought it would be interesting to see.

Best regards,
            Tom
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Well Tom, yours are better done. And also I use a uploadsite so my pic will vanish at some point so thanks for doing it properly.

But isn´t it funny that it seems impossible to find a single ribbon medal of any kind with mm 134? If you, or enyone else, have a pic of the Floch 134 please post that, if nothing else, just for fun.

/peter

Comment

Originally posted by VonPeter View Post
                Well Tom, yours are better done. And also I use a uploadsite so my pic will vanish at some point so thanks for doing it properly.

But isn´t it funny that it seems impossible to find a single ribbon medal of any kind with mm 134? If you, or enyone else, have a pic of the Floch 134 please post that, if nothing else, just for fun.

/peter
                Hi Peter,

If it's okay with you, I will copy and re-post your comparison so that it doesn't vanish from the thread. You should be an association member, my friend, as with your wealth of knowledge you could put some lasting impact into this forum. Unfortunately, when pictures disappear many of these discussion threads become useless.

You are so right about the '134' marking, as I have never seen one on a suspension ring. I have searched a bit already, but have not found a picture of a '134' marking attributed to Floch. What troubles me about the marking on Alex's medal is that the the horizontal bar on the '4' is way too low, IMO.

Best regards,
                Tom
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

/peter
                  I think the same, if a medal is a copy, it can`t be produced only one piece ... Same goes for Otto Klein, if they produced such medals, or other medals with mm 134 on ring, there must be several pieces...

Comment

Hi Peter,

If it's okay with you, I will copy and re-post your comparison so that it doesn't vanish from the thread. You should be an association member, my friend, as with your wealth of knowledge you could put some lasting impact into this forum. Unfortunately, when pictures disappear many of these discussion threads become useless.

You are so right about the '134' marking, as I have never seen one on a suspension ring. I have searched a bit already, but have not found a picture of a '134' marking attributed to Floch. What troubles me about the marking on Alex's medal is that the the horizontal bar on the '4' is way too low, IMO.

Best regards,
                    Tom
                    Hi Tom. You are a mod now so you can do anything you want without asking us mortals first.

But yes, anyone posting pics should be a ass member. I hate when I look in old thread and the pics are gone. That is seriously annoying.
                    But my membership ran out and I havent renewed it yet, but I will.

About the mm. All the 3 digits are very different.
                    And you can see how sloppy it is compared to the accepted ones. I dont think floch has a sloppy mark like that on his 134 EK1´s but it cant hurt to compere them.

Comment

Guys, the mm on DK is too big for a suspension ring. How can we compare them?

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                      - THE SS TK RING
                      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
                        Guys, the mm on DK is too big for a suspension ring. How can we compare them?
                        Hi Antonio
                        Thats why I wrote:

"The 3 mm´s are from DKIG´s so not the best thing to compare whit but that is what we got."

However, it gives a little hint...

Is the mm on DKIG´s really that much bigger?

/peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
                          What troubles me about the marking on Alex's medal is that the the horizontal bar on the '4' is way too low, IMO.

Best regards,
                          Tom
                          Tom, DKIG is flat, but the ring is round and thin, therefore there may be some difference in digits. It is more difficult to stamp on a so thin ring than on a large surface. IMO

Comment

Hi Skand.

I understand that you want the award to be a good one, but why are you so defensive about this questionable medal?
                            Was the medal cheap and a real bargin?

/peter

Comment

Hi,

Just want to add a little to the "134" discussion. I do not believe prior to this Luftschutz medal, I have ever seen any piece MM "134" on a suspension ring. Apparently, "134" did not make the EK2 series as a "134" MM EK2 ring would offer a close comparison.

Whether original or fake there should be more examples "out there".

The other point is, the suspension ring could have been added to the medal along with the repro ribbon, and come from entirely different sources?

Just my 1/2 cent worth!

Best,

Jeff
                              Last edited by Skyhawk; 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Hi Skand.

I understand that you want the award to be a good one, but why are you so defensive about this questionable medal?
                                Was the medal cheap and a real bargin?

/peter
                                Peter, I would like to find the truth, medal costs normal for this typical zinc example, but it is not the price which is essential now, for me important to find solution! Until now we can`t say with 100% certainty that medal original or copy, I will find it.
                                Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X