No announcement yet.

Luftschutz medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deep brilliant purple looks different to me; the other examples have that light bluish tint.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
      In my opinion if Peter says a ribbon is fake I'd take his word for it.
      Thanks. I do love ribbons and pay them the same, if not more, attention then the medals themselfs.

And I agree that a loose ribbon dont make or break the medals originality. And besides that, the 2 common medals that is most often found with replaced ribbons are westwall and luft medals. I have often seen original medals with fake ribbons but fake medals with original ribbons not so much... So there is a little indication after all by judging the ribbon even if all parts (ribbon, ribbon ring, medal etc) must be judged by themself.

And a fake ribbon lowers the value on a original medal with ~5-20 euro, and that is sometimes a big part of the value on cheap medals. I have personally bought medals just for the ribbons sake, but then again, I really like ribbons.

Comment

Originally posted by VonPeter View Post
        And a fake ribbon lowers the value on a original medal with ~5-20 euro,
        I ALWAYS put condition first ... the best example I can possibly afford or acquire of each ribbon award was the target and a few € for a real ribbon is the least of my worries

Ian

Comment

The other side that we have not seen, and dont need to, is most likely stiched as these fake ribbons normaly are.
          Nice work, Peter. Enlarging that photo really did the trick.

My 3 ribbons ..
          All look like wonderful pieces, Ian. And, ooh those looooong ribbons. Good as gold!
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Are you sure that your "zinkspots" aren't dirtstains? There are dark spots on many places, look at the letters were dirt is often found.

The ribbon ring is easy to replace without leaving marks when it is a open ring (I know, I´ve done it myself).

The ribbon is not "probably good", it IS bad.

You ask for opinions but claims "So medal can not be copy" so this is my last reply. If you are comfortable with the medal then good for you. Congrats to your new medal.

/peter
            Peter, mange takk for din mening!
            Of course I can see the difference between zinkspots and dirtstains. Spots that I showed is zinc, I`m sure 100%
            Guys, many thanks for all opinions!!!
            Medal real very nice, very detailed, when I hold it in my hands I have no sense that it not real, absolutely no sign of it.
            Ribbon consisted UV and fire test, so I don`t now..., if it is a copy, it's good copy, more important originality of medal!
            If anyone has similar medal, the same design, same details or same maker "134", please attach photo for comparison.
            Here more photo of ribbon

Comment

As you've been told the ribbon is fake, if you're happy with the medal itself that's fine ... the only issue will come if you attempt to sell it here.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

As you've been told the ribbon is fake, if you're happy with the medal itself that's fine ... the only issue will come if you attempt to sell it here.

Cheers, Ian.
                I bought it not to sell. Contacted seller, it is no problem to return it and get the money back, but I have not decided yet what I'll do, return or retain medal. Will wait for more comments and opinions...

Comment

@Tom: I have to comment your ribbon explanation in Post #26 is the best/understandable TR era ribbon explanation I have seen! It should be added to the Militaria 101 coursework!

I had to go check all of my Luftschutz medal ribbons and ALL have the black wefts. Now I can use the proper term!

Here is one I have..... MM#10 with an original ribbon.

@VonPeter: I agree, the quality of the ribbon does "complete" the medal!

Best,

Jeff
                  Attached Files

Comment

I never studied these medals in deep as I did for the 1 class and IMO there is a lot more we miss about them, first of all the makers.

To avoid speculations that are not useful, I think that an hand finished piece, especially if it has a low market value and a low market request, it is at 90% an original.

It is the first time for me too I see a "134" mm on this medal, but I know a good maker (as could be Otto Klein), not always made good quality pieces. See for example the BKAs of Juncker, probably one of the worst badge from one of the best makers.

We know Deumer, Schickle, Katz & Deyhle and some more make these, and we have a lot of examples of original wartime pieces with a lot of imperfections (see the one posted below). But we know very few about how many different makers were involved and their production, so it is hard make correct comparisons.

At the same time I think if someone were to do a good quality repro, at the moment we would have real difficullties to discover it.
                    Attached Files

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                    - THE SS TK RING
                    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhawk View Post
                      @Tom: I have to comment your ribbon explanation in Post #26 is the best/understandable TR era ribbon explanation I have seen! It should be added to the Militaria 101 coursework!
                      I agree and can see what you mean re the ribbon posted for opinions, VonPeter.

Many thanks Tom for going out of your way to compile such a thorough dissection of TR ribbons, I have certainly learnt something, and will be checking all the ribbons in my collection now with some trepidation!

Comment

Originally posted by SKAND View Post
                        Here more photo of ribbon
                        Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting that last picture of the ribbon. That is a very clear image. Unfortunately, it only confirms what some of the others have been trying to tell you. When the edges of a ribbon have that type of "chain-like" look it is definitely a modern ribbon IMO. I had originally thought that this was a more-convincing type of modern ribbon (other than the white wefts). But it is nothing more than the usual type of modern reproduction ribbon that is easily detectable as such. Peter had it right from the very beginning.

But as long as you are satisfied, that is the important thing. I'm glad it's returnable just in case that is what you decide to do. It is always better, in my opinion, to have an item that is 100% unquestionably original. Because when one part of the item is bad, it casts doubt on the whole.

Best regards,
                        Tom
                        Attached Files
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhawk View Post
                          Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                          Many thanks Tom for going out of your way to compile such a thorough dissection of TR ribbons, I have certainly learnt something, and will be checking all the ribbons in my collection now with some trepidation!
                          Hi Jeff and John,

Thanks so much for your comments. I'm glad that you guys find that posting useful.

Best regards,
                          Tom

And Jeff: Very nice Luftschutz second class and even that 1957 version first class. That photo you took is amazing.
                          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks guys!

It actually is a very good "informative" thread & after reading
                            all of it I'll look at my ribbons more closely.

Ron.

Comment

@Tom: Thank you for the comment on the image, and I had a great time setting it up. Congrats on becoming a Mod!

I will take any opportunity to expose TR collectors to the..... World of 57ers!

Best,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks again for all comments!
                                Regarding ribbon now full clarity, it is reproduction, so we forget it.
                                In addition to zinc spots that I marked on the photo earlier, I see that it is zinc inside small ring. So medal without doubt real zinc, possibly "feinzinc" from early production with good thick silver coating, not late Kriegsmetall of poor quality.
                                Please look at several detailed photos of the medal.
                                More opinions?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 37 users online. 0 members and 37 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X