Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting Howard. Nice eagles! Really like the tight stitching on the first example!
    Regards,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
      Fabulous Howard !
      Real "rough-cuts". Any history with them ?

Regards,
      Steve

Thanks Steve & John for the kind remarks.

I'm still working on getting more information about the Vet. He's still living at 94 years old, but has had a stroke. I know he reached the rank of "buck" Sgt., hope I can get the rest of the story.

I can honestly say, if it had not been for this thread..........

I would never have bought these eagles. Wonder how many I have passed over though the years, just because I was not focused upon the different variations or types. Hindsight always 20/20. How true.

Cheers,
      Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley View Post
        Wonder how many I have passed over though the years, just because I was not focused upon the different variations or types. Hindsight always 20/20. How true.
        Cheers,
        Howard
        Funny how our tastes change. Since childhood I've been attracted to DAK and Fj uniforms. But, when I was a begining collector, I hated cut insignia like these eagles and did not pursue them! Just could not stop thinking about the uniform that was ruined. Now cut insignia is a favorite part of collecting and a deep passion. So much can be learned from it.

Hope you find out more about your eagles.
        Regards,
        John
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John ,Why not sell your uniforms and only collect cut out eagles

Comment

Originally posted by Maus View Post
            Said cut insignia is a favorite part of collecting. BUT, it is NOT my most favorite..

I prefer to buy, not sell I collect uniforms, not coins .
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Zig-zag vs. single line vs. over-kill stich work

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
              Thanks for posting Howard. Nice eagles! Really like the tight stitching on the first example!
              Regards,
              John

John,

Looks like a good opportunity to discuses the stitching patterns found on smocks.

Through out this thread most of the smock eagle are found with two styles of stitching. Common zigzag, or the overkill tight stitching. Most zigzag is referred to being factory applied. What about the tight stitching? Was this work also applied at the factory, or maybe at the jump schools? Or just done by the unit seamster, quartermaster, or tailor?

Lastly, found mostly on Army tunics is the single line machine stitch. I've not observed this being used much by the Luftwaffe. I'd be leary of an item found with this construction. Any thoughts?

I welcome any corrections or comments.

Regards,
              Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley View Post
                John,
                Common zigzag, or the overkill tight stitching. Most zigzag is referred to being factory applied. What about the tight stitching? Was this work also applied at the factory, or maybe at the jump schools? Or just done by the unit seamster, quartermaster, or tailor?

Lastly, found mostly on Army tunics is the single line machine stitch. I've not observed this being used much by the Luftwaffe. I'd be leary of an item found with this construction.
                Regards,
                Howard

Howard,

The both ziz-zag styles are factory applications. The very tight style is mostly from prewar and early wartime. Some late war smocks will have tightly zig zag sewn eagles, and these are usually unique to certain makers.

The Luftwaffe did use straight stitching, especially on their shirts. However, straight stitched cap eagles as well as tunic/blouse/smock breast eagles can be found too. They are the exception and I like them because they are scarce.

Regards,
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                  Howard,

The both ziz-zag styles are factory applications. The very tight style is mostly from prewar and early wartime. Some late war smocks will have tightly zig zag sewn eagles, and these are usually unique to certain makers.

The Luftwaffe did use straight stitching, especially on their shirts. However, straight stitched cap eagles as well as tunic/blouse/smock breast eagles can be found too. They are the exception and I like them because they are scarce.

Regards,
                  John
                  Thanks for sharing your knowledge John.

HK

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                    Thought this one belonged here : I will remove it if the owner objects.
                    Not at all Steve. Same eagle as that recent smock. I could rescan a lighter image if we want to compare more closely.

Great eagles Howard! I knew you had to have a couple.

I too did not want cut insignia years ago. Today I grab what I find if it fits the FJ theme.
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Maus View Post
                      Would you buy them with the eagles cut out? Thats the only way John is going to sell his......
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Great eagles Howard! I knew you had to have a couple.

I too did not want cut insignia years ago. Today I grab what I find if it fits the FJ theme.[/QUOTE]

Hey Willi,

You know me, I love the cut insignia!

And I'm sure there are a few things I have kept hidden from you.

Best,

Howard

Comment

Maybe I should add this eagle to the thread. I see this type for smocks too but obviously for other LW jackets to.

"Felix" - N. Hansson
                          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse;
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice eagle Felix. I would certainly put that one in the smock category. I have seen those on a thinner cotton twill used on flight jackets, but not that one.

Howard, I am sure you have been holding out! Don't we all?
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
                                Nice eagle Felix. I would certainly put that one in the smock category. I have seen those on a thinner cotton twill used on flight jackets, but not that one.

Howard, I am sure you have been holding out! Don't we all?

I agree, definitely a jump smock eagle. Unusally found on certain Sumpf patterns.
                                Nice eagle Felix!
                                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X