Unusual 1941 FJ helmet cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by werner View Post

He does not understand why this one could be a fake because he found it in a cloth pile in the attic and received it for free from the house's owner.
    Then there are some facts or truth missing from this report, because the cover in question did not exist during WWII.

And the "finders" naive or misled opinion will not change that fact. Nor will it influence those here with experience and knowledge, perhaps on other sites, but not here.

Regards,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

It reminds me 2years ago when a wife sold a Tarnjacke for 100 euros to a guy in Ardennes who knocked on the door of her farm asking "if she still kept some souvenirs of war". The jacket had been bought in the 70's as fake and was used by the husband to dig out... it is now in a very big collection, from a very big collector ....
      It is a well known story around here

Comment

personally i dont like the weave of the material

Comment

I come to the Idea that everything German is a fake ...Hell the whole war may have been fake! it seems everytime someone posts something tha COULD be real but has never been seen is automaticly a fake ! that is half the reason i do my own reserch and i never say anything is fake unless its a repo that i bought myself or it is proven fake. Which is hard on german items due to the differnt exparamental items the germans used during the war and the verious field made items . I for one have a M43 SS Oak Pattern cap that is made in 2 types of camo in side and out and i have been told its fake but guess what its not ..I know this because my GRANDPA brought it back from Germany with him at the end of the war (and no i'm not posting pics of the hat too many problems with other forums )

Comment

Originally posted by Gowert View Post
            personally i dont like the weave of the material
            fabric looks like a US fabric - the thicker one used for canvas buckets, backpacks etc...
            I agree on artificiall ageing and crappy sewing plus odd stamps

Comment

Originally posted by theduke335 View Post
              I come to the Idea that everything German is a fake ...Hell the whole war may have been fake! it seems everytime someone posts something tha COULD be real but has never been seen is automaticly a fake ! that is half the reason i do my own reserch and i never say anything is fake unless its a repo that i bought myself or it is proven fake. Which is hard on german items due to the differnt exparamental items the germans used during the war and the verious field made items . I for one have a M43 SS Oak Pattern cap that is made in 2 types of camo in side and out and i have been told its fake but guess what its not ..I know this because my GRANDPA brought it back from Germany with him at the end of the war (and no i'm not posting pics of the hat too many problems with other forums )
              No, there is actually much original, and a lot of it is illustrated here, but the cover in question is not one of them! A simple search here will show what an authentic jump helmet cover looks like.

Here is a fine original:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=433452

And the fact that this cover is bad, somehow offends you, and sends you into a sarcastic rant is an interesting mystery.
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Nothing rusts that well....

Originally posted by rob NL View Post
                Is it me , or do the hooks seem acid rusted ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Kuligowski View Post
                  fabric looks like a US fabric - the thicker one used for canvas buckets, backpacks etc...
                  I agree on artificiall ageing and crappy sewing plus odd stamps
                  I dont think its made out of the same material, looks a little thin for that, but it deffo follows the same weave

Comment

What I'm saying is this very could be an origanl private purchase or tailor made piece we may never know! I mean look at all the private purchase camo used in vietnam! But thats only my thought I'm not saying it is authentic I'm just saying it could be!

Comment

What I'm saying is this very could be an origanl private purchase or tailor made piece we may never know!
                      No, we know!

Wrong weave, incorrect camo-pattern, fake markings (why would a tailor add those?), artificial aged metal pieces.. what else do you need???

Comment

Lets put it this way....its as bad as a big bad box full of very bad things.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, but this forum is different. We have a tremendous wealth of knowledge here, very open and objective minds, and in addition to many of us owning original covers, many of us have also seen these fakes before. It would have been very easy for me to confidently declare this cover a fake from the first photo, but I thought a healthy discussion was more important. "Arriving together" at a conclusion is a great learning tool.

I am sure many would love to see that SS oak camo M43 cap. Several types of camo being used on the same uniform item was very common.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The story surrounding it's discovery is the biggest fake IMO. Was Ben's friend being set-up for fun , or was there a darker, financial incentive ?

Comment

What I'm saying is this very could be an origanl private purchase or tailor made piece we may never know! I mean look at all the private purchase camo used in vietnam! But thats only my thought I'm not saying it is authentic I'm just saying it could be!

Please consider that private purchase field pieces are usually unmarked. The cover in question is marked to make it appear to be factory production and an issue piece.
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                                The story surrounding it's discovery is the biggest fake IMO. Was Ben's friend being set-up for fun , or was there a darker, financial incentive ?
                                He said it was found for free and he wasn't selling it ...fiancial incentive? when it was free?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X