Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which jump smock best represents the Fallschirmjäger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last few posts demonstrate the value of this poll. I want to capture what the international collecting community feel about this matter. I do believe alot of it comes down to where we live and the WWII stories (from veterans & historians) we were raised with.

So, please keep the data coming!

Remember, what best represents the FJs. The "classic" look as John stated. Not what your favorite smock is.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Difficult question... I love ther 1940 period photo's but I do think best is to have a look after the wartime photo's taken on during the war, it shows that most (not all) units were equiped in late 43 en later re-equiped in 44 with the splinter B's from late 43 onwards. To do so the Splinter B model with buttons was therefor made in larger numbers as there were more Fsj Divisions from late 1943 till war ends supplied with the splinter B...

Comment

Keep the polling data coming, folks!
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
          Greetings Hugh,

I disagree slightly with your comment about the M40s worn on Crete, and believe splinter versions were used on Crete in numbers equal to, and perhaps greater than, green smocks. At the time of Crete, splinter smocks were the improved pattern and cutting edge.

And Hugh, splinter smocks are predominately green, so "Green Devils" still applies. This term was widely used to describe the paras at Cassino where splinter smocks were in the majority. Like you, my honest opinion.
          Regards,
          John
          Hi John

Interesting that you say that. I have checked the books that I have, quite a few but by far all of them, and it seems to me that the main elements in Kreta, Sturmregiment, FJR1 and FJR3 did all wear green smocks. There are quite a few pictures of splitter ones around by they seem to be mostly FJ Sanitäters.
          The main recourses for my studies were the Peters book, the A.V. Room book and the Kreta book of Jean-Yves. The pictures that show the "Kreta Kämpfer" coming home do indeed show a lot of splitter smocks...I am sure the troops were re-equipped with new kit before the parades.

Since for me the battle of Kreta symbolizes the high tide of the Fallschirmjäger I do vote for the 1940 step in model.

cheers
          Uwe

Comment

This one for me.

Glenn
            Attached Files
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
              This one for me.
              Glenn
              Excellent choice Glenn! An early M40 splinter, likely to be converted, in a later war setting.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Glenn is thata a Pioneer FJ?From the dark collar tabs i guess...

Comment

You can not see a parachute pioneer of the color of the collar tabs.
                  They wore yellow collar tabs.

Comment

as has been stated here before, many old wwii era b@w films were not very sensitive to the color yellow, which often shows up looking darker. the collar tabs on that pic are prolly yellow. i think thats the reason for alot of the confusion about the color of fj pionier tabs.

cheers,
                    rob

Comment

hallo!

I think that could be used an orthochromatic film... Used extensively throughout the WWII and after.

Is a film of decreased sensitivity, which can be processed with a red safelight. Using it, blue objects appear lighter and red ones darker because of increased blue sensitivity. For the same reason, sometime, could be seeing on period pics mans with a dark face, almost as coloured people.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by leontrotsky67 View Post
                        as has been stated here before, many old wwii era b@w films were not very sensitive to the color yellow, which often shows up looking darker. The collar tabs on that pic are prolly yellow. I think thats the reason for alot of the confusion about the color of fj pionier tabs.

Cheers,
                        rob
                        indeed!
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by frank savage View Post
                          hallo!

I think that could be used an orthochromatic film... Used extensively throughout the WWII and after.

Is a film of decreased sensitivity, which can be processed with a red safelight. Using it, blue objects appear lighter and red ones darker because of increased blue sensitivity. For the same reason, sometime, could be seeing on period pics mans with a dark face, almost as coloured people.

Cheers!
                          Exactly, Ortho film, which was explained here years ago. Just look at the Kreta title at the top of page 90 in Jean-Yves Green Devils. Does anyone seriously believe that title is embroidered in black or dark green?! Same goes for the collar tab in that photo. It IS yellow! And so are the tabs in all photos taken by the photographer of this entire series, pages 86 though 97.

ALL THE TABS ARE YELLOW! Listen to your Uncle!
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

[quote=

ALL THE TABS ARE YELLOW! Listen to your Uncle![/quote]

Exactly the way we say here!

Comment

ok but how can it be yellow compared to the yellow parts of the fj smock?

i seen portraits with fj wearing the fj badges but the tabs were clearly red,could this one be red at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniele C View Post
                                ok but how can it be yellow compared to the yellow parts of the fj smock?

i seen portraits with fj wearing the fj badges but the tabs were clearly red,could this one be red at all?
                                No!

From seven years ago:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=ortho+film
                                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X