Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex, Great photo and close-ups. The faces certainly show the strain or maybe the apprehension of battle. Thanks.

Comment

Bringing this thread active again. Here is the reverse of an early HBT splinter strap. Unlike the later pairs that Martin and Willi posted which are backed with the same HBT as the front, the reverse of these is an olive duck. This olive is not as light as the green duck on the reverse of the gr******252;nmeliert pair.
      Attached Files
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Very interesting and rare John. From the same source?
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Very interesting Thread!

What about some nice photos showing green tabs piped in branch collors?

Comment

Is it true every splinter pattern field division smock was issued with matching camouflage shoulderboards? Did the marsh 43 smocks also have camouflage shoulderboards?

Comment

Originally posted by NormandieCamo View Post
              Is it true every splinter pattern field division smock was issued with matching camouflage shoulderboards? Did the marsh 43 smocks also have camouflage shoulderboards?
              I doubt very much that all the jackets had splinter straps on them. In fact, I believe most did not. Splinter straps are FAR more rare than the field division jackets.

IMHO sumpf straps were never made, but who knows for sure? After all, Fg 42 bandoleers were made in splinter and in sumpf.
              John
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John Hodgin; 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM.
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Guess I should put this here as well.
                Attached Files
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Eagle detail.
                  Attached Files
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John:

Was it common for soldiers to throw away the camouflage shoulderboards and replace them with (color) rank shoulderboards? Partially explaining why so few exist today.

Great smock!

Comment

Originally posted by NormandieCamo View Post
                      John:

Was it common for soldiers to throw away the camouflage shoulderboards and replace them with (color) rank shoulderboards? Partially explaining why so few exist today
                      Great smock!
                      Thanks! I cannot imagine that Luftwaffe soldiers would discard the camo straps. The straps were very practical. I believe that as some time their production ceased and that is why so many jackets were worn with blue-grey straps. But, I really do not know, this is something we need to discover.
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                        Thanks! I cannot imagine that Luftwaffe soldiers would discard the camo straps. The straps were very practical. I believe that as some time their production ceased and that is why so many jackets were worn with blue-grey straps. But, I really do not know, this is something we need to discover.
                        I wonder if soldiers with 'rank' might have preferred straps that showed their status? The fact that standard blue gray straps were commonly worn on these smocks is amply supported by period photographic evidence. Here's another example.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Camouflage shoulderboards are very practical, but there are other things to consider.

Whenever you add color rank insignia (i.e. collar insignia and shoulderboards) and medal badges to a camouflage uniform, you then defeat it's purpose. German soldiers were well known for doing this and there are many photographs showing it. As Mike points out some soldiers wanted to show their rank status. Some soldiers probably modified the camouflage shoulderboards to show their rank status. Some soldiers didn't like wearing shoulderboards and removed them, and as John points out many smocks were probably never issued with camouflage straps. Many officers wanted to show their rank status on uniforms and it was a matter of pride (esprit de corps) to wear one's decorations.

Does anyone else own a smock with camo straps? How about posting pcitures of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
                            I wonder if soldiers with 'rank' might have preferred straps that showed their status?.
                            This one works for me.
                            Attached Files
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

A very nice modified camo shoulder board. A set of them would go nicely with a camo smock.

Comment

Hi normandy comrade.
                                I have already posted my items, but I can show you my own camo soulders straps , found on one of my two Felddiv. Tarnjacke.

I am not completion agree with John : I think that all first series (1942, at least) of Felddiv. smocks have recieved camo soulders straps, but these items were fragiles and many soldiers removed them on field. So they are rare, now.
                                I you look on original photos, specialy those of Normandy theatre, you can seen most smocks with soulders straps.
                                But most of non commissioned officers seem to have put their blue-grey soulders straps on their smocks.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X