No announcement yet.

Last Photo of Oberleutant Wolfgang von Blücher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a photo of members of the "Dombas Kompanie" taken in Oslo, May 12, 1940. R-L is Broder, Wolf and Jacobs (at least according to Broder)
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting pix and personal items. Last photo seems shows some guys wear anti-slip galoshes ..quite rare item for early 40 year ?
      Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Hey Eric,

The Dombas Kompanie was the 1./FJR1 ...

I don´t know if Broder was in 1./FJR 1 before crete but Wolf was always in 2./FJR 1 and had no part in the Dombas story ...

He is not in the picture ...

By the way Wolf was also Leutnant since 1939.

Thanks for showing Broders grouping!

Comment

The memorial wall of 2./FJR 1 ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Heeresspringer View Post
            Hey Eric,

The Dombas Kompanie was the 1./FJR1 ...

I don´t know if Broder was in 1./FJR 1 before crete but Wolf was always in 2./FJR 1 and had no part in the Dombas story ...

He is not in the picture ...

By the way Wolf was also Leutnant since 1939.

Thanks for showing Broders grouping!
            I guess this answers the first question.

As I said, Broder said the man between him and Jacobs was named Wolf. Perhaps a different Wolf. You can believe him or not.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok ... Perhaps it was a Soldier with the last name Wolf ...

I mean Wolfgang Graf Blücher who´s nickname was Wolf ...

Comment

To clarify Eric’s last post, both Gerhard Broder and Rudolf Jacobs jumped with 1.Komp. at Dombas, Norway in April, 1940. Their heavy (MG) platoon from 2.Komp. was attached to 1.Komp. to provide additional fire support for the operation. Both were subsequently captured after several days of hard fighting and evasion. Eric’s photo shows them in Oslo following their release from Norwegian captivity. They both received the EKII for Dombas on May 11 in Oslo (Bundesarchiv), both volunteered for the operation at Narvik, where I believe they both received the EKI (and Narvik Schild of course). Both Broder and Jacobs fought side by side throughout the entire war: Dombas, Narvik, Crete, Russia, and Mone Cassino. Both, incredibly, survived the war, although Jacobs lost a leg in Italy. Here is a Norwegian post card Jacobs sent to his family in Düsseldorf from captivity, that may interest collectors.
                Attached Files

Comment

Did Broder and/or Jacobs write , and have published , any memoir?

Comment

Broder wrote a book, the title escapes me. Jacobs, as I know did not put down his experiences in writing. Others may know different.

Comment

Broder gives a first hand account of Wolfgang’s last stand and death in Adrian Nisbett’s excellent book, Heroes in Death. He observed everything from some distance in binoculars, they were unable to reach them. Jacobs, as Shawn indicated earlier, took the last photo of Blücher on the plane to Crete.

Comment

Many thanks, yes I have that very good book, and also Yannis' , but I couldn't recall if any memoirs of their own existed.

Comment

Mike, that postcard has an incredible historical significance that most will not appreciate.

And, yes, by Wolf I mean the man's surname was Wolf (according to Broder). Obviously it is not Wolfgang G v B.

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
                            Many thanks, yes I have that very good book, and also Yannis' , but I couldn’t recall if any memoirs of their own existed.
                            Here is Broder’s book, published in 2007:

Guerre mondiale contre moi: 1938-1948: Weltkrieg gegen mich ; [Norwegen - Kreta - Rußland - Italien]

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Queen View Post
                              Mike, that postcard has an incredible historical significance that most will not appreciate.

And, yes, by Wolf I mean the man's surname was Wolf (according to Broder). Obviously it is not Wolfgang G v B.
                              Agree, of all the medals, award documents, and photographs that came from Rudolf Jacobs’ estate, the postcard is my favorite piece. “Käthi” was (at the time) Rudolf’s fiancé.

Comment

Originally posted by unglesbeemj View Post
                                Here is Broder’s book, published in 2007:

Guerre mondiale contre moi: 1938-1948: Weltkrieg gegen mich ; [Norwegen - Kreta - Rußland - Italien]
                                Thanks Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X