Last Photo of Oberleutant Wolfgang von Blücher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Photo of Oberleutant Wolfgang von Blücher

This is a very special pic in my collection that I would like to share. I just want to thank Adrian Nisbett Author of "Heroes in Death the von Blücher Brothers in Crete" for allowing me to purchase it from him and providing us the information about this historic image taken at the battle of Crete.

This photograph of Oberleutant Wolfgang von Blücher (RK- Dordrecht) -the last to be taken of him - was taken shortly before his unit (2 Kom. 1FJRI) dropped near Heraklion on 20 May 1941. Blücher was first to leave the aircraft and he is waiting for the signal to jump. Note that he is also carrying a camera. The photo was taken by Gefreiter Rudolf Jacobs, an assistant MG34 gunner in von Blücher’s platoon. Jacobs and his co-gunner, Gefreiter Gerhard Broder had served with von Blücher in Norway and Holland. Shortly before his death in 2017, Broder recalled the moment the photo was taken and the tense expression on his platoon commander’s face. He and Jacobs jumped immediately after von Blücher.

While the machine-gun team was ordered to stay in a support position, von Blücher was ordered by regimental commander Bruno Bräuer to take a group from his platoon and advance in darkness towards the airfield, believed to be in German hands. This was incorrect and Blücher and his men found themselves under heavy fire from well-entrenched members of the Black Watch, supported by light tanks. With daybreak a rescue mission was planned but much time was lost trying to assemble the widely scattered paratroopers. By late morning most of the men had been killed or wounded and several attempts to reach the group had been beaten back. From their position some 600 metres from the surrounded group, Broder and Jacobs could only watch the destruction of their comrades. Then they too came under attack from one of the tanks. Broder dived into a shallow depression, closely followed by Jacobs. The tank opened fire with its machine-gun and one round hit the camera which was attached to Jacobs’ belt. A little later von Blücher was killed and the few survivors surrendered. During the action, von Blücher’s youngest brother, 17 year old Hans Joachim tried to reach his brother’s position with ammunition. He was killed in the attempt, something Wolfgang was made aware of shortly before his own death. A third brother, Lebrecht, was killed shortly after landing to the east of Heraklion.

Rudolf Jacobs returned to his home in Düsseldorf after the battle and took his camera to a photo shop. Only one photo on the roll in the damaged camera could be saved: that of Wolfgang von Blücher. A little later he sent one print to the von Blücher family and kept a second in memory of his much-admired platoon commander.

Caption for photo below: Gerhard Broder (L) and Rudolf Jacobs (R) just before boarding the aircraft for the flight to Crete. Jacobs’ camera case can be seen on his right hip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shaun Winkler; 04-20-2020, 08:41 AM.

Shaun, that's simply fantastic!! The destiny of this picture is awesome and the chances for it to arrive in your hands more than 70 years old was more than thin... Great to be able to take a look at this last instant, quite impressive and emotional ...

Crete was a very tragic fate for this family

Comment

Shaun, very impressive and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Enjoyed reading this story. Thanks

Comment

Very interesting! A photograph with a story to it.

Comment

Here is an account from Gerhard Broder describing the story with the Matilda tank and Jacobs.
            On the morning of 22 May, a Matilda tank moved from the airfield to the East Beach (the coast
            of Karteros) and conducted a reconnaissance of the German positions so that the British could
            make an assessment of the German strength. Reaching the river, the tank turned right and moved
            along the road towards the FschJgRgt.1 command post. The positioning of the anti-tank gun on
            the hill next to the road saved the command post from total destruction. A duel began between
            the anti-tank gun and the tank; finally, the tank was forced to retreat under constant fire from the
            anti-tank gun. Paratrooper Wilhelm Eiting from the 2./FschJgRgt.1 was decapitated by one shot
            from the tank and he was buried next to the Karteros Road.
            Paratrooper Gerhard Broder recalled the duel:
            The noise of a tank again: a tank is approaching through the ravine and continues on a rough
            track. It is firing and stops at a distance of about 20 metres from our position. The vineyard
            is hiding us from sight but the shallow hole does not protect us physically. I am lying on my
            back-side and have pulled all my belongings which might attract attention into my shallow
            hole. From time to time Jacobs looks for the tank to see in which direction its gun-barrel is
            pointing. Feldwebel Eiting, a reservist, married and the father of children, loses his nerve. He
            leaves his cover and rushes towards a brickwork well, in order to find cover behind it. A shell
            tears off his head

In the period picture can be seen the grave of Feldwebel Wilhelm Eiting at the vineyard next to the road. The same spot today with the characteristic water / irrigation reservoir still at the background but without the wind mille used to pump water. Also today can be seen the well / reservoir rigth at the side of the road and this was the one where Eiting tried to take cover, exactly as discribed by Gerhard Broder. This was the road used by the Matilda to attack the command post on 22
            May killing some more paratroopers on its way.
            Attached Files

Comment

Shaun, great photos! Nice presentation by all!
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks for the positive replies,

Yannis thank you for adding the extra info to this thread

Comment

Thanks Shaun, i thought i recognised it- from page 96 of the fascinating book ! A poignant and haunting picture.
                  I have your most excellent book also Yannis, also meticulously researched.

Comment

Tragic history ... And quite unique photo . Thanks for sharing, Shaun .
                    Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Shaun and Yannis thanks for bringing up the story of this photo.

1941 Photo's of Wolfgang von Blücher are not many but this one might show him during a stop on his way to Greece;

Comment

Originally posted by waldo h View Post
                        Shaun and Yannis thanks for bringing up the story of this photo.

1941 Photo's of Wolfgang von Blücher are not many but this one might show him during a stop on his way to Greece;

Wonderful capture of von Blücher, perhaps others can pinpoint location, could also be Holland (?), don’t see EK awards.

This photograph is the only one I have of von Blücher, it was among Rudolf Jacobs’s documents and photos. Not taken by him. Assume it was taken in summer or autumn 1940 (?). Must be Europe, perhaps leading 2.Komp.? If anyone can help me fill more details about this image would be much appreciated. Apologize for poor image quality.

Regards,
                        Mike
                        Attached Files

Comment

Shaun, as others have said, a great historical artifact, it would always be welcomed among Rudolf Jacobs other photographs

Comment

Originally posted by unglesbeemj View Post
                            Wonderful capture of von Blücher, perhaps others can pinpoint location, could also be Holland (?), don’t see EK awards.

This photograph is the only one I have of von Blücher, it was among Rudolf Jacobs’s documents and photos. Not taken by him. Assume it was taken in summer or autumn 1940 (?). Must be Europe, perhaps leading 2.Komp.? If anyone can help me fill more details about this image would be much appreciated. Apologize for poor image quality.

Regards,
                            Mike
                            There are more details about this picture, in my book, page 117.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kretakampfer,

Much appreciated for the additional information about the photograph. As soon as we get past this pandemic, I plan to visit Crete again and would look forward to walking some of the battlefields around Heraklion with you.

Regards,
                              Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X