• Show
Clear All

L/18 and L59, same pin...
    Attached Files

Comment

L59 marks
      Attached Files

Comment

The L/18 has the frame flaw as well, but as I said before, they came over a period of 2 years.
        Fakes usually appear in greater number, and IF these should be fake, they put a lot of effort in making different set-ups, cores, and marks.

Comment

Hi Ben,

Thank you for posting the new photos!

I have never held one of these crosses, never owned a "333," never had one of the "L/18" EK2s that use the same frame and core. So I will politely bow out of this conversation for now in total confusion You have them in your hands, and as you know I trust your judgment. I am simply at a loss.

Please update us on any new findings.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Hi all:
            I have been following this thread with great interest .
            If I could ask Ben for a closeup shot of the maker mark L59 (on the cross with the multiple side beading flaw ).... and the other one .
            I would be surprized if that same cross would have the corner chip as shown in the EK1 book .
            I have checked the 3 Rettenmaiers I have and none show the '333' bead flaw . Produced most likely over the entire war period : an early brass core EK1 , a crisp 16 marked EK2 and an early L59 EK1 .Just using one of the identifying features : all 3 have the corner bead chip which does not seam to change much between the 3 crosses . If Ben could look on the ones he has to see if both L59 crosses have this chip or only one . As DM points out in his book the frames can be rotated ... so the chip may not be on the same arm .... as is the case with the L59 I have --- frame rotated 180 degrees .
            The closeness in parts to other makers is quit interesting .

Thanks , Douglas

Comment

Streptiles #12 frams hinge shot reminds me of the GPB hinge...identical, just a different pin but attached the same way....so my question is if Deschler made hinges like that for GPB's did other makers buy the hardware from deschler, or did they make the same configuration hinge as deschler . i would assume they would possibly purchase parts from deschler ? I like your cross, its shakin the tree.

Comment

Disregard the L59 close up picture - Ben . Re-reading it I see that cross is unmarked .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by ben bijker View Post
                  The L/18 has the frame flaw as well, but as I said before, they came over a period of 2 years.
                  Fakes usually appear in greater number, and IF these should be fake, they put a lot of effort in making different set-ups, cores, and marks.
                  I see it in the same way. Pins and frames could be Tier 2 parts.
                  Waiting for a second cross with the same frame to make good pictures for comparison.

Comment

Could the "333 fake" mark cross have used worn out wartime dies?

Comment

I actually was thinking in the same direction, a number of dies have survived the war after all....

It would explain the number of "333" fakes compared to this unmarked one and the L/18 in this thread....

Comment

Originally posted by ben bijker View Post
                        I actually was thinking in the same direction, a number of dies have survived the war after all....

It would explain the number of "333" fakes compared to this unmarked one and the L/18 in this thread....
                        I will get two different 333 EK2 fakes (one will be unmarked) for comparison ;-)
                        After that I will share the pictures.

Comment

A good chance worn out dies would have survide the war . So the odd thing I am looking at is this 'off-set' partial lower bead line which the original did not have have . Why add such sloppyness to the original ??? ..... or .... I would think it is more a mechanical flaw - as it is an even sharp design . Can't see it being a shifted planchet in a dobble strike .... but a progressive worsening flaw . Let s say starting from left to right trying to mechanicaly cut/rejuvinate the old beading on this die ... 2 problems occuring : the uneven depth would indicate that the cutter is not running parallel to the old beading - bead is getting wider twords the right ! -- and the setup spacing guide ends up a hair wider than the old one and soon the new lower cut beading gets more and more mis-aligned to the original beading ! Tried on one arm only and stopped .
                          Any other exsplanations ??

Douglas

Comment

Ben's Rettenmaier

Attached Files

Comment

Rettenmaier from Sweden none magnetic too ;-)

Attached Files

Comment

EK2 333 fake

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X