EK2 Spange "first pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by streptile View Post
    Thanks, I think I understand. Now that we've seen both versions of the original (veined and unveined), I'm inclined to think the long head-feather is just one thing fakers got wrong, and that the fake is based on the original in #17 (and bottom #18).

The flat prongs on your example are likely an improvement the fakers made once they noted the prong-style of the originals.

I should say clearly: this is entirely supposition on my part.

I'd reckon the originals are pretty rare, though.
    all correct
    regards
    jon

Comment

Unless something would prove that design it would be a reasonable difference made intentionaly to distinguish it post war.

I will see if I can improve the photos they will be good for people to use.

Tinmantis Thanks for your feedback and good info provided.

Comment

Given our recent conclusions in this thread, I was very surprised to see this one for sale -- actually SOLD -- in Detlev Niemann's update today.

Any new thoughts on this model (since 3 days ago)?

~Trevor
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I'd like to see closer pics of the Detlev one, and a reverse pic
          but it seems to be a repro.
          I'm thinking the fakers have changed the prongs from silver to brass in a further attempt to deceive. Second pattern L/57s have these prongs, I've never seen a first pattern have them (apart from the repro)

remember, Detlev is not god
          but he's the closest we've got
          regards
          jon

Comment

Yes, there are a few "questionable" items with his COAs. The good news is that he tends to update his views when new evidence comes to light about an item (as, for example, the postwar Souval "Schinkel-B" 39EK2s), and always seems ready for a return. I guess we'll see about this one.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Detlev Niemann EK2 Spange

Thank you for posting this! I just saw the update and couldnt believe it. His copy of the week is what proved conclusive to establish mine? I must give him too much credit as all of us for attention to detail but when its his own copy of the week and a $400.00 price tag?

Again is that "rooster head" eagle a post war fantasy design or is it based on something right?

If someone has comms with Detlev , please try to hammer this one down.

Streptile THANK YOU FOR POSTING.

Comment

guess you said it all already....

but even with a coa it doesn't become original, i will not comment on the piece sold.......

according to your previous comments it's better to visit shows then being a keyboard collector, but does it pay off???

IMO there's not much that beats a good gut-feeling.......
                Last edited by ben bijker; 05-16-2009, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Detlev advised me that the spange listed in his last update is "different" then his previously posted copy of the week.

The reply albeit very brief implies the version he sold is original........Very strange

Comment

It's still no original IMO.
                    If you compare the head to the one you posted the similarities are simply to big.

Detlev i good, but not always right either....

Comment

Originally posted by Sammler View Post
                      Detlev advised me that the spange listed in his last update is "different" then his previously posted copy of the week.

The reply albeit very brief implies the version he sold is original........Very strange
                      I wished he'd posted closer pics
                      his statement implies that there is another new and unknown die for this maker!?
                      this is either extremely interesting news, or BS
                      maybe the 'difference' means the brass prongs?
                      I'm sure we'll never know, but I'll keep my eyes open
                      regards
                      jon

Comment

look here, post #6....

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=356207

Comment

An interesting mystery, especially with that L/4 marked example in a related thread. I'll add the photos here for future easy reference:

Photo credit: WAF member Peter Wiking

Photo credit: WAF member Peter Wiking

Originally posted by Sammler View Post
                          Streptile THANK YOU FOR POSTING.
                          No problem. I think it's fascinating. I hope we can get to the bottom of it.

~Trevor
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Why would a first pattern spange have an L/ mark?
                            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                              Why would a first pattern spange have an L/ mark?
                              That and the fact that there was no L/4 - the numbering system started with L/10.
                              B&D PUBLISHING
                              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Don I agree with you , the L4 mark is the best service in showing this one fake that was posted IMO . I think what he refers to the "mystery" is the possibility for a real design with that "rooster head" eagle from D.

It still brings good info out IMO and I will try forensics on mine with better photos .

The last thing needed is for this to get more complicated then need be. I think the update item by Niemann muddied the waters more thats all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X