X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Comment

THanks Steve. That makes it easier to see anyway. The cross on the left does not have the appearance of a PlM with the eagles. I am not sure if those are eagles at all between the cross arms, which would rule out a Johanniter and PlM. Hard to tell. While the face still looks very much like Brandenfels to me, this weird combo of awards and uniform is really tough to decipher. I can't tell if it is shopped, retouched, or just fake. Or something else.

I know in WWI, legit photos were retouched with awards, usually if the soldier died before a pic showed them with the award of the PlM. Sometimes these are just plain wrong and in one case an OLC was added to a PlM when it was never awarded. I have seen varying dates on Brandenfels death, some say during the war, some not. A reliable bio is tough for some reason. If he was killed during the war, I suppose it is possible this combo of awards was added to the photo. Steve

Comment

He is still not a listed winner of RK or Oaks whatever the Service Branch.
        Seiler

Comment

Well if this the same Buttlar-Brendenfels he didn't die during the war as there is his testimony at the Nuremburg trials on day 149: http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/imt/proc/06-07-46.htm
          Down near the bottom if it is of interest.

Comment

It is not a PLM.
            Besides if it is, the picture is completely wrong: there is no OL winner in the Luftwaffe that also held the PLM (besides Ritter von Greim - which is a completely different guy).

In addition, I also think that the PLM-like was added after the picture was taken.

Douglas

Comment

Ok, it's not a PLM. So what is it and does it make sense for this picture?

Comment

Romanian or Bulgarian order? Steve go check out on websites of those countries medals and orders if any match up to this one on pic.
                Iam Uncle Sam
                That’s who Iam
                Been hiding out
                In a rock and roll band

Comment

I don't think this is authentic. Where is the ribbon for this "UFO"- Medal?

Comment

Here it is in negative, I think the UFO medal ribbon loop is just coming out from under the edge of the collar......?
                    Attached Files

Comment

The clot thickens!

Comment

Guys, these scans can only show so much. In hand, the medal does not appear to just sit there. You can see what looks to be a ribbon. I'm no expert but I have been collecting portraits for a little while now and have a decent collection. This one in terms of the portrait doesn't send up any alarm bells. I got this from another portrait collector, a guy I trust and have dealt with before, a member here. This was not an ill advised buy from a shady Ebay seller. I know that doesn't prove aything, but... I'm sure I could get a refund if I asked, but I'm not pulling the plug on this one yet. I think I'll keep it and see if any new info comes to light. Maybe it's not legit, maybe it is and I'll end up kicking myself if I ditch it. It's just a photo, not like I'm gambling on a questionable RK itself. Even if it's a mock up, I don't think it was done yesterday and it's still an interesting piece. No doubt it's controversial, but if we put many photos to the test maybe we could find things that don't fit what we think is "correct" in terms of medals in wear, uniforms etc. None of us were there and even if we were we wouldn't know everything. I'm not looking to close out this thread, just thought I'd say a few words. I appreciate the effort everone put into this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X