Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get this Knights Cross

Helloo,
    I am looking to get a Knights Cross, my first.. our friend Weitze has this one and I wanted to know what you think.. the mark on the back looks incomplete, any Ideas on maker?? Thanks for any help.
    Van
    Attached Files

mark.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would be careful here. The 3, 6 and 9 o'clock arms all have beading flaws.

Others can chime in, I'm sure.

Comment

Van, the Cross is non-magnetic and $3,000.00+/- cheaper than other S&L!!

Why?
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

out of the 2 reply's , is it a period, pre 1945 or possible post war cross??
          I appreciate the quick info.. thanks.. I am confused as to what to think about the flaws on the arms, I have read the forums on the flaws but unsure how to deduce period or post war..
          Van

Comment

This is what Dietrich calls a "Type B" S&L cross. Although there is no definitive way to say when the core and frames of this cross were stamped (or assembled), I am personally unaware of a "B" cross with beading flaws on 3 arms which is believed in the collecting community to be pre-April, 1945.

Comment

Personally I am 100% convinced that this is a post war production by S&L. There are no non-magnetic B-Types before 8 May 1945.
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                There are no non-magnetic B-Types before 8 May 1945.

This has been discussed many times before and this thread does not need to repeat the arguments. Bob Hritz's "Kitzingen" cross is non-magnetic and I PERSONALLY believe that it is of pre-May 8, 1945 production.

Comment

Could someone point out the beading flaws? I'm not sure what to look for and the only thing I can pick up on is what appears to be a crack type flaw on the 6 o'clock arm on the bottom left.
                  Richard V

Comment

Is the stamp an incomplete 'incused 800'?
                    Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

Look at the vertical 3 and 9 o'clock arms of the cross, as well as the horizontal 6 o'clock arm. On the beading, you will see raised lines on top of the beading. These are the "beading flaws".

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane View Post
                        Is the stamp an incomplete 'incused 800'?
                        Looks to be.

Comment

Hi Richard,
                          I circled the flaw marks in red...
                          My head hurts right now, anyone know were a "positive" pre May 1945 cross might be available.. lol.. Thanks for the input everyone...
                          Van
                          "Is the stamp an incomplete 'incused 800'?"
                          is this a good thing or bad??
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Van; 04-08-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Van, I wouldn't own this Cross as in my opinion it is post war......way post war judging by the wear of the pocks/dents on the 3oc arm.

The pocks/dents are soft and rounded and if you do some research you may find a similar die failure pattern as is found in very late, crude appearing examples. Additionally, look at the placement and fit of the core..
                            Regards,
                            Dave

Comment

Please don't waste your money on this...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X