• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good evening Tim,
    I think the skinny S is more rare than the fat S ,
    I have now 2 skinny and 9 or 10 fat ,
    Kind regards Chay

Comment

Here's another example to add. This Cuff title has a very different smell from my other cloth pieces. Maybe the stains could explain that! After researching this thread I would say authentic earlier olive issue? Any good places to start researching the Afrika Korps?
      Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen
        Nice cufftitle Matthew!
        I have made a discovery I think on the olive Afrikakorps cufftitle, I think there are three versions and I will post photos of the skinny S and the other two.
        The other two have a difference one is 138mm and the last one is 145mm of the word Afrikakorps
        Is what drew my attention to this is simply a new addition and it just appeared bigger slightly and something I had not spotted before.
        Below is the skinny S and the 138mm
        Kind regards Chay
        Attached Files

Comment

The 145mm
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew m. View Post
            Here's another example to add. This Cuff title has a very different smell from my other cloth pieces. Maybe the stains could explain that! After researching this thread I would say authentic earlier olive issue? Any good places to start researching the Afrika Korps?
            Hi Matthew

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for adding yout ct to this thread. It's a one-look early olive original

What is the distance between the letters from the left leg of the "A" to the right edge of the "S" ? about 139mm correct ?

As far as searching this great Forum for info on the AfrikaKorps. Go to the Forum section you want to learn about and do a search for either DAK or tropical. For example, if you want to see DAK caps go to the "Cloth Headgear Forum" and search for M40 or tropical sidecap etc. Tunics, go to the "Herr Uniforms and Insignia" Forum again search that Forum for DAK or tropical tunic etc.

Here is the best thread just in general about the Afrikakorps on the WAF. thanks J.L.
            Be careful, once you start looking at this thread it may become an addiction

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=213638

Here is a thread with a stort story of an Afrikakorps vet i once knew years ago.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=340303

Heia Safari !
            Tim
            Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 02-09-2018, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek View Post
              Gentlemen
              Nice cufftitle Matthew!
              I have made a discovery I think on the olive Afrikakorps cufftitle, I think there are three versions and I will post photos of the skinny S and the other two.
              The other two have a difference one is 138mm and the last one is 145mm of the word Afrikakorps
              Is what drew my attention to this is simply a new addition and it just appeared bigger slightly and something I had not spotted before.
              Below is the skinny S and the 138mm
              Kind regards Chay
              Hi Chay

Good work. Yes the distance of the length of the letters is different on some versions. Have noticed this too. The threadstarter photo shows three different types including the 145mm version (top) also known as the "same size hole in the R & P." Which was sometimes confused as being fake many years ago. The other two shown are both 139mm. The bottom one has the Bold or "Frosty" lettering so that's a fourth version including the skinny "S". If you include the "Matt's Fav" and the later tan version that's two more.

Would like to hear from Antonio ct as to the number of different versions of the AKCT ?

with kind regards
              Tim
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 02-09-2018, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, it's appreciated. The length of the wording on the cuff I posted is 137mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew m. View Post
                  Thanks for the responses, it's appreciated. The length of the wording on the cuff I posted is 137mm.
                  Matthew
                  Thanks for the measurements!
                  We each have measured mine was in the middle at 138mm ! They are all the same cufftitle from the same machine !
                  Kind regards Chay

Comment

thank you guys for this educational topic! I've always been afraid to dive into this area of collecting, but now I'm feeling much more prepared

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post

Would like to hear from Antonio ct as to the number of different versions of the AKCT ?
                      Hi Tim, as far as I know, the patterns of the originals AK cufftitles are 6. They all will be showed in the book I'm working on.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                      - THE SS TK RING
                      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
                        Hi Tim, as far as I know, the patterns of the originals AK cufftitles are 6. They all will be showed in the book I'm working on.
                        Hi Antonio

Thanks for confirmation, we have six different examples here on this thread if you are including "Matt's Fav" and the later tan AKCT ? or possibly you meant six different early olive AKCT's not including Matt Fav ?

It would be cool if after your book is published that you start a thread here on the WAF on the Afrika ct's that could be pinned. The WAF really needs one and you are the best guy for the job imo

caio
                        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by sang0plateau View Post
                          thank you guys for this educational topic! I've always been afraid to dive into this area of collecting, but now I'm feeling much more prepared
                          Thanks for the kind words. How is the ct collecting going ?

As always anyone please feel free to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                            Hi Antonio

Thanks for confirmation, we have six different examples here on this thread if you are including "Matt's Fav" and the later tan AKCT ? or possibly you meant six different early olive AKCT's not including Matt Fav ?
                            I mean 6 different version of the Afrikakorps. Not talking about the color (sand or olive) since there are cufftitles of the same pattern that were made in both olive and sand. So the color is not (IMO) important to distinguish a pattern from another.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                            - THE SS TK RING
                            - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                            - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Fakes or Reproductions?

As a filmmaker, I'm not looking to get an original cuff title... just the most accurate reproduction I can find.

I can see how a very good reproduction can make things difficult for people collecting original cuff titles. However, for reenactors and filmmakers like myself, affordable, accurate, high-quality reproductions are a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by hullfilms View Post
                                As a filmmaker, I'm not looking to get an original cuff title... just the most accurate reproduction I can find.

I can see how a very good reproduction can make things difficult for people collecting original cuff titles. However, for reenactors and filmmakers like myself, affordable, accurate, high-quality reproductions are a blessing.

You will need ze diamond back, this often catches people out.

Kind regards Chay
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by upbeek; 09-08-2019, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X