This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VerKuilen,
    I have seen 'Coin Silver' marked on insignia as well, some of it British made. Robbins Co. also made the DSC.

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager
    Allan,
    Thanks for all the great input, especially on the para badge! Knew you'd probably have one of each.

Don't know how the first aviation piece got deleted. That one, by the way, was designated "Military Aviator" on the official drawing and on the actual brooch. Blackinton was evidently authorized to make them later, but the bulk were originally fabricated at the Rock Island Arsenal.
    VerKuilen
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain
      VerKuilen,
      I have seen 'Coin Silver' marked on insignia as well, some of it British made. Robbins Co. also made the DSC.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi All -

While going through some medals, I came across a Whitehead & Hoag December 18, 1944 contract Bronze Star Medal that hadn't been listed yet under this maker.

This is turning into one excellent thread!!

Regards,

Gary
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain
          VerKuilen,
          I have seen 'Coin Silver' marked on insignia as well, some of it British made.
          Typically the "coin silver" marking is attributed to AAF wings made in Mexico. It certainly would be interesting to get a look at some examples of something with the mark and a country (or maker of known national origin).

Comment

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager
            Typically the "coin silver" marking is attributed to AAF wings made in Mexico. It certainly would be interesting to get a look at some examples of something with the mark and a country (or maker of known national origin).
            The Juarez wings may have been made by William Lampl. They moved to Mexico during the war and made a number of patriotic jewelry (they are known for a Remember Pearl Harbor pin) and military insignia. Some Juraez style wings are marked with a script "WL" in a shield that was used by William Lampl.

P Frost

Comment

Verkuilen-Maker Addition

Verkuilen,

Attached is the thread for pictures to a WWII victory medal I just picked up. The maker on the case "Waterbury" is not yet listed as a maker and just want to submit it for addition. Thanks

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=109717

Comment

Just found a pin back 15th Infantry Regt crest marked "GENERAL INSIGNIA N.Y.". I don't think this maker has been listed yet.
                Vance

Comment

Originally posted by coastie
                  I was looking over my issued medals the other day and came across a maker mark that is on our list - CN-GI any ideas any one. It came on my National Defense Medal and was issued to me in 1971. If I remember right I got the medal in an envelope and not a box.
                  This may be Columbia Button and Nailhead (TIOH C24).

Comment

General Insignia hallmark
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vzemke
                      General Insignia hallmark
                      Thanks for posting the photo. This maker has often been confused with the "GI" mark placed on post-W.W.II items produced by manufacturers certified by The Institute of Heraldry. There is no connection between the two. The often repeated proposition that items produced by Bell Trading Post and marked "GI" indicate a merger of Bell Trading and General Insignia is an example of this confusion. There was no such merger and the "GI" on the Bell pieces are the TIOH mark.

Judging by the separately applied dragon, transparent enamel, and pin fastener, it's very likely that the pictured Infantry d.i. was made in the 1930s or early 1940s. In fact, I haven't been able to find any trace of General Insignia after W.W.II, so it was probably one of the many makers that disappeared about that time. If any one has any more items with the General Insignia mark, or any concrete documentation, please post it and maybe we can build a better profile of this maker.

Comment

Here are some more General Insignia hallmarked "patch type" DI's. They have a smaller "General Insignia N.Y." hallmark than the DI I posted earlier. All are clutch back. They came in the same lot of stuff.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The lot also included some hallmarked 8th AF and 5th AF DI's. Here is a pic of some of the 8th AF ones. There were lots of different DI's in the lot, most of them being "patch type" ones. Most were not hallmarked, but the ones that were hallmarked were all "General Insignia NY".
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I'm brand new on this board but I have some WWII militaria items that I am unable to determine exactly what they are. One is a three inch sweetheart wing sterling with clasped pinback. The center features a propeller that is perpendicular. On the back is the word "Sterling" I have searched all over the internet and Ebay and have not been able to find a pic of this item anywhere.

I was trying to post an image of it out here but have been unable to do so. I also noted that I cannot post attachments. Could this be because I have not posted enough on the board or is it maybe a membership issue.

I'd really like to post a JPG of this item out here to get some help from the many experts on this board.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Great Work folks, and a couple of observations I'll add.

Silverman Bros. did Air Medals in WW2 (8-12-43 Contract, and Most Likely Numbered ones, as I have an empty box with a 4 Digit number inked like BB&B did for 1932 PHs & SS's...)

The Vietnam Era Hallmark: Diamond with what looks like an S inside is actually Williams and Anderson, and did many medals in the Late 60s-Early 70s. I had a Boxed Air Medal with 1971 Date.

Balfour did Army DSMs and I think some LoMs during WWII., Balfour definitely did Korean War era (1951? Dated Box) LoM Commander Grades.

Robbins also did Army SS's in the 60,000-75,000 Range (if not a bit broader...) 1942 Contract

Medallic Art Co. did WWII DSCs 1942 Contract, Numbered in the 20,000 range. They also did ADSMs 9-18-45 & 12-3-45 Contracts

D.L. Auld did Army of Occupation WWIIs

Regards, Rich
                              www.WittWorldWide.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Witt

The Vietnam Era Hallmark: Diamond with what looks like an S inside is actually Williams and Anderson, and did many medals in the Late 60s-Early 70s. I had a Boxed Air Medal with 1971 Date.

www.WittWorldWide.com
                                RIch Thanks I've been trying to figure out who this was I have a couple of medals/ribbons with this device on it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X