A rare U.S. Army award: the Imjin Scout Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerryrehr View Post
    I think your patch is from the late 60's as I never saw anyone wear one of the colored ones.
    I received mine in April, 1968 (when 'PD Sergeant' was 5 months old). I was in the 4/7 Cav. The ones we wore were the colored ones.

Comment

I spent some time up along the DMZ during my first tour in Korea, 1961-1963. The 1st Cavalry Division was there at the time; they swapped places with the 2nd Infantry Division at Ft Benning, GA, in 1964. The Imjin Scouts patch is a 2nd Division patch.

Comment

During the period 1966-1969, North Korea took advantage of the U.S. military commitment to the Vietnam War to launch a series of attacks against U.S. and ROK military forces along the DMZ. Their goal was cause the U.S. to withdraw all forces from Korea and abrogate the ROK-US Defense Treaty; they failed.
        This resulted in a sizable number of abushes and firefights, resulting in casualties on both sides. During this period, U.S. infantrymen involved in these fights were awarded CIBs and those wounded or killed, were awarded Purple Hearts.
        Here is a URL that provides a little more info: http://www.imjinscout.com/CARL.html

Originally posted by VALERY226 View Post
        Bonjour,
        Very interesting post!
        Is it true that some CIB' 've been awarded after 1953 to members of DMZ patrols who received fire from NKPA ?
        Were 2nd ID members eligible for the combat patch after such contacts?
        Thank you
        Valery

Comment

Thank you Homer for your answer. An other hidden face of this forgotten war!

Merci
          Valery

Comment

imjin scouts

Heres a shirt on a website,well outside my collecting comfort zone so I dont know if it is actually on ok one
            http://warrelics.com/WebPhotos/N/N85.jpg

Comment

A nice, legitimate patch, but the price....?

Comment

Any more examples of these patches, photos or items of these troops?
                Jerry

Comment

Prior to the Imjin Scout patch and arrival of the 2ID, the 7ID awarded the Order of the Bayonet. A metal badge with the 7ID patch on a bayonet with a wreath similar to a CIB. This was worn above the name tag on OG107's , above the Presidential citiations on khaki's and below the pocket flap on AG44 jackets. It was a unit award so not worn when re assigned out of the 7ID. It was awarded in place of a CIB due to all the BS prying the award out of DOD. The Ist Cav on our left flank in the Munsan area really received nothing too, I believe some of their mech infantry also were given the Order of the Bayonet when operating with the 7ID, not sure. The badges were made localy and were issued by the division.

I was in the 7ID during all of 1964 and was med evac'd in December 1964, got a two week early trip home and 5 months in Valley Forge General Hospital...what a deal. What you got was nadda unless a politician or officer wanted to do much paper work, and not many did. Things were strange for awards and hostile fire pay. Hostile fire pay was only awarded for the month a GI was wounded or KIA. The rest of the time all you received was "hardship pay" for sleeping in your sleeping bag in a bunker. NO COMBAT PATCHES AUTHORIZED.

In the spring of 1967 we were deverted from RVN and back to Korea and were involved in hunting NK KPA crossing the DMZ in 100 man units. We were there until the fall of 1968, again all you really got was nadda. Purple Hearts were rare, most never got enough time to earn a CIB. Hostile fire pay was paid every mounth without the need of blood spilled that month. This was the first time I saw some 2ID on the DMZ, they were part of a reaction force sent to assist us, looked good to me . NO COMBAT PATCHES AUTHORIZED. Most already had RVN patches anyway.

1966 to 1969(app.) is now called the "Second Korean Conflict". An attack in the DMZ on 2 November 1966 a patrol was attacked by KPA troops . Only one GI survived, PFC David Bibee a 17 year old, wounded in 48 places by shrapnel. Pvt. Earnest Reynolds made a one man counter attack trying to save his patrol members and was KIA. He was recommended for the Medal of Honor posthumously, but they latter awarded him a Silver Star. This was considered the start of the Second Conflict. NO COMBAT PATCHES AUTHORIZED

Actually we were told the NK KPA increase of combat operations was to punish ROK for sending troops to RVN, ROK 9th Division "White Horse",and to make them withdraw to protect the home country.

In 1971 the last US presence on the DMZ was one battalion of the 7ID manning Guard Posts Collier and Oullette, with Camp Greaves as their base camp. And another battalion doing rotations at Camp Liberty Bell. The 7ID made it's final review in Seoul on 1 April 1971 after 23 years on the Korean DMZ and deactivated. And remains the longest serving US Army division on the DMZ. The 2ID HQ was then located in Camp Casey btw.

BTW, to all who served in Korea from 1954 on, in 2002 "The Korean Defense Service Medal" was approved and issue started in 2004. It also qualifies the award winner for VFW membership. If you served and haven't received it put in for it, it's a one time award no matter how many tours you made in Korea, kind of an admission it's a war that's still going on. Start by going to eVetRecs for your DD214, and from there they will confirm your Korean service time, process the forms and order the decoration. Your service will then issue the medal and get it to you. Still active duty you should already have it if qualified.

Sorry for the long winded post, hope some of it was interesting.

Jim

Comment

Jim - thanks for the interesting post...you are not long winded and if you think of any other information please post away...
                    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Is there still any ongoing legistlative effort for the award of the UN Korea Medal? I seem to remember that it had the backing of several veterans groups.
                      Last edited by Edward; 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                        Is there still any ongoing legistlative effort for the award of the UN Korea Medal? I seem to remember that it had the backing of several veterans groups.
                        Not that I'm aware of. It took a lot of years just to get the Korea Defense Service Medal authorized.

As an aside, the Senator who introduced the bill to authorize the medal was Ben "Night Horse" Campbell who comes from my home state of Colorado.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by PD Sergeant; 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM. Reason: Attached photo of Korea Defense Service Medal
                        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Two links on why the UN Korea Medal should be re-instated. One is from the now defunct KDV of America. The points made in both write-up's are valid.

http://www.cavalrycountry.org/thetruce.htm

http://www.cavalrycountry.org/KDVA/UNassault.html
                          Last edited by Edward; 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

There is also a medal awarded by the Republic of Korea to US Forces Korea serving since the "ceasefire". In 1972 it was awarded and distributed, called "Republic of Korea Service Medal" not to be confused with the "Korea War Service Medal". BUT in 1974 the JCS refused the award based on a "standing rule" that "the US will not accept a Foreign Medal to be authorized for wear by active members unless the US has awarded a medal for this service and the foreign medal is also being awarded to military personnel of the country making the award". Seems this only applies to lowly enlistedmen and jr grade officers, field grade and general grade seem to wear several Korean medals NOT complying with the "standing rule". Those who tried to get it entered into their DD214 were made to turn it in, and not wear the ribbon.

As far as the "standing rule" goes the US was awarding a medal for the same service, the "Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal" for Korea 1 October 1966 to 30 June 1974, The "Second Korean Conflict". And now the KDSM is also covering the same service. Myself, I feel the ROK's award is appreciated by all who served there and thank them for their attempt to say thank you.

IMHO, the denial of awards, that in other areas of far less combat are awarded with no problems, is just the continuation of the keep Korea out of sight out of mind from the US citizens. And the UN doesn't care to admit that Korea is still an on going UN Operation and will not award the "UN Service Medal". For 60 years all US military members in camp stood reveille in all weather while the UN flag was raised with the US and ROK flags at the sides and slightly lower. Under UN command and rules, and they refuse to award the medal they awarded for just such service and continue to for far less danger in other areas.

Jim

Comment

1982-83 Imjin Scout Patch

I was awarded the Imjin Scout Award while stationed with 102d MI BN on Cp Hovey. Spent many days, weeks, months along the DMZ. I was a RATT operator.

Comment

ASMIC pubbed an article on the Imjin Scout badge in the Jan-Mar 2003 issue; it was written by Stuart Jamison, who as a 1Lt, helped collaborate the patch wtih others. Actually, there were three designs, plus the metal badge. Here is the example in my collection. I did not earn this one.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X