A rare U.S. Army award: the Imjin Scout Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rare U.S. Army award: the Imjin Scout Badge

Here is a US Army badge that is rarely seen. It is the Imjin Scout badge and was awarded from 1965-1990.

From 1965 to 1967 it was awarded only to Advanced Combat Training Academy graduates (ACTA). ACTA was a 262 hour course which prepared soldiers to conduct day reconnaissance and night ambush patrols within the S. Korean DMZ. Upon graduation the cloth Imjin Scout badge was awarded and worn on the right pocket of the uniform. The most notable commander of ACTA was Major Roger H. Donlon who was awarded the first Medal of Honor in Viet Nam.

Sometime in 1967 the award criteria was expanded. Second Infantry Division Regulation 672-3 authorized award of the Imjin Scout badge for the completion of 20 operational missions within the DMZ.

In addition to the cloth patch a metal version of the badge was awarded for wear on the dress uniform. Both the cloth badge and the metal badge were worn on the right pocket.

The title Imjin Scout comes from the Imjin River which runs to the south of the DMZ. The last award was given in the early 1990's when the last elements of the Second Infantry Division were withdrawn to the south side of the Imjin River.

The first photograph is the Advanced Combat Training Academy at Camp Casey, Korea.
    Attached Files
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

This is the cloth version of the award.
    Attached Files
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

This is the metal version of the badge for wear on the dress uniform.

Does anyone have this badge in their collection? Are there any awardees of the Imjin Scout badge on the forum?

Feel free to post your examples!
      Attached Files
      AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Imjim Scout badge

WOW..
        When I hear the term Imjim Scout badge I realize I'm getting kinda old..
        Walked a lot of DMZ ground to get that silly little badge ...GP Collier, GP Oulette, GP128, Camp Liberty Bell, 4P-1, Warrior base, Camp Greaves, QRF, Guardpost duty, Recon and ambush Patrols
        Here's a little assortment of gear that goes with the badge...

Kration

Retired 11 Bravo
        1/9 Camp Greaves
        1/31 Camp Howze (P.F.C. Joseph P White defected Aug 26-82)
        1/503 Camp Hovey
        1/5 Camp Hovey
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kration; 06-19-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

on the MDL

This was taken on the MDL north of GP Oulette
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kration; 06-19-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting those items. You and I have walked a lot of the same ground.

I see you were assigned to 1/31 Inf but didn't list service dates. Were you a member of the unit in August '82? We were still receiving briefings from S-2 on the defection when I was there in '86.
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

This should look familiar to you: home on Warrior Base:
              Attached Files
              AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

I was in the 2nd ID at Camp Beard in the early 70's as an armor crewman in the 2/72 armor. Our main DMZ responsibly was hill 191 on the Imjin river. We had a bunker line and defensive positions with a ground servaliance unit. I was there many times and it was hard to get use to the fact the other guy was thinking the same. The sad thing was the ROC troops who never able to leave on a regular basis like their US comrads.
                I think your patch is from the late 60's as I never saw anyone wear one of the colored ones. No two were alike as they were made in the local tailor shops. There is alot of currently made patches avalible.

Jerry R.

Comment

Interesting topic. Here is mine (by that I mean in my collection, my hat off to the men who earned it). I just picked this one up as it looked interesting, I didn't really know much about it and it really doesn't fit in my collection. Anyone have any idea when this patch might have been made, or the value? Thanks, Zach

Copy of IMG_1048_edited.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jerryrehr View Post
                    I was in the 2nd ID at Camp Beard in the early 70's as an armor crewman in the 2/72 armor. Our main DMZ responsibly was hill 191 on the Imjin river. We had a bunker line and defensive positions with a ground servaliance unit. I was there many times and it was hard to get use to the fact the other guy was thinking the same. The sad thing was the ROC troops who never able to leave on a regular basis like their US comrads.
                    I think your patch is from the late 60's as I never saw anyone wear one of the colored ones. No two were alike as they were made in the local tailor shops. There is alot of currently made patches avalible.

Jerry R.
                    The cloth patch is not mine. You correctly point out that all of the patches were theater made by numerous tailors. You may be right about the patch being produced in the 1960's. We wore the subdued patches on our BDU's and colored patches on our civilian jackets.

The metal badge is mine and is the one I was awarded in 1987.

Originally posted by zachb View Post
                    Interesting topic. Here is mine (by that I mean in my collection, my hat off to the men who earned it). I just picked this one up as it looked interesting, I didn't really know much about it and it really doesn't fit in my collection. Anyone have any idea when this patch might have been made, or the value? Thanks, Zach

[ATTACH]1232020[/ATTACH]
                    With so many different tailors producing them it's difficult to nail down production dates. Yours is the first example I've seen bordered in brown and it's a nice looking example. Thanks for posting it.
                    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Dmz

Originally posted by PD Sergeant View Post
                      Thanks for posting those items. You and I have walked a lot of the same ground.

I see you were assigned to 1/31 Inf but didn't list service dates. Were you a member of the unit in August '82? We were still receiving briefings from S-2 on the defection when I was there in '86.
                      We were set up below Scary Finger in an ambush the same night White defected from Oulette.. I left around Mar 83 or so and a couple months after the defection we got the usual bombardment of propaganda leaflets... one series showed PFC White in a sports car with two N. Korean babes.. lots of fruit, candy & cigs spread across the dash & everyone all smiles, The caption said "Peoples Hero Joseph White tours downtown Pyongyang with companions".. Ya Right... Another some months later showed him teaching english to students..

I remembered seeing a UPI news release from North Korea in the 90's ? and it said that White had drowned swimming with friends while attending a party in his honor.

Hooah
                      Kration

Comment

Originally posted by kration View Post
                        This was taken on the MDL north of GP Oulette
                        Cameras aren't allowed into the DMZ, shame on you. Uh.....on second thought, I've got a few of those pictures too.....never mind. That MDL marker looks new. I remember them being pretty rusty. This picture was taken at The Bridge of No Return in 1987.
                        Attached Files
                        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

I had Bill move this over to the Korean War sub-forum. Does anyone else have any Imjin Scout items to post?
                          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

My memory plays tricks on me, but I also think that a couple of our ground FACs and/or ROMADs got the scout badge back in the early 70's. I was in 19 TASS from 72-73 based at Camp Long but working all over the First ROK Army area.

Comment

Bonjour,
                              Very interesting post!
                              Is it true that some CIB' 've been awarded after 1953 to members of DMZ patrols who received fire from NKPA ?
                              Were 2nd ID members eligible for the combat patch after such contacts?
                              Thank you
                              Valery

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X