• Show
Clear All

I sold it to the member who offered $375 I am paying postage

Comment

Duplicate post again!

Comment

You were lucky to get anything over $30 IMO

Comment

At the risk of being redundant to all the other posts but the nco that started the thread is a Chinese fake. There are 2 old sayings that seem appropriate here. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. And. A fool and his money are soon to be parted.

Bill Rannow
          Mpls, MN

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            So apart from the blade ,scabbard ,tsuba ,fuchi ,Tsuka and arsenal stamp the sword is fine
            Hey Nick, shades of "Monty Python's Life of Brian" - "What have the Romans ever done for us?" speech!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Thats a lot of money for a fake!
              Even if I got money for it , I didnt want to own it!

Comment

Yes A joke a homage if you will to monty Python
                I am surprised it took so long
                Last edited by nickn; 03-10-2016, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                  I'll also take this opportunity to repeat something I've said before and that is the reference books by Fuller and Gregory are now dated and much has been learned about gunto since they were printed. It's best their opinions be viewed in the context of what is now known rather than taken as fact as they once were.

Regards,
                  Stu
                  Whilst I would concede that there have been new discoveries since the books of Fuller & Gregory were originally printed, I think the pioneering work they did contributed more to the position we are now, in regarding military swords, than any other works before or since.
                  Every year astronomers find new moons orbiting the various planets but we don't rubbish the likes of Ptolemy, Aristotle, Copernicus, and Galileo.
                  If this or another debate centres on any particular reference from F&G which you now feel is incorrect or dated, that's the time to offer up later conflicting evidence rather than be so dismissive of a lifetime of (someone else's) work. Most of what they wrote remains relevant.
                  The late Ron Gregory was an absolute gentleman who gave freely of his time and knowledge. He was of the pre-computer age who wrote letters in response to questions and would welcome people,with a genuine interest, into his home to enjoy his vast collection.

Comment

I only found out he lived in the next village to me after he died
                    I did get the chance to view his collection after he died and yes it was very large

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
                      Whilst I would concede that there have been new discoveries since the books of Fuller & Gregory were originally printed, I think the pioneering work they did contributed more to the position we are now, in regarding military swords, than any other works before or since.
                      Every year astronomers find new moons orbiting the various planets but we don't rubbish the likes of Ptolemy, Aristotle, Copernicus, and Galileo.
                      If this or another debate centres on any particular reference from F&G which you now feel is incorrect or dated, that's the time to offer up later conflicting evidence rather than be so dismissive of a lifetime of (someone else's) work. Most of what they wrote remains relevant.
                      The late Ron Gregory was an absolute gentleman who gave freely of his time and knowledge. He was of the pre-computer age who wrote letters in response to questions and would welcome people,with a genuine interest, into his home to enjoy his vast collection.

I'm not suggesting that either author is not a gentleman nor have I suggested that their work is rubbish. I have not been dismissive of a lifetime of someone else's work and agree that much of their work remains relevant. Frankly, I'm surprised you'd take such offence at my comments.

Regards,
                      Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X