No announcement yet.

nco fair estand price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the fakes have the brass throat insert??
    Please educated and point out all the bad bits
    Just saying fake doesn't really help me neither will
    "All bad"!

Comment

Originals have brass , but its more precise made. The hole for the sword ,has wrong dimensions. Numbers are looking odd ,also missing little stamp near numbers.
      Heres a original . Compare .....http://www.antique-swords.eu/C89-WW2...Army-NCOs.html

Comment

The space between the sword hanger and throat is to long. Another clear indicator of a fake.

Comment

Thanks
          Ever seen a fake with a brass insert?
          There is an acceptance stamp after the serial number but the blade has been cleaned and it's very faint I will try and take a photo

Comment

Besides the first red flag of a bare aluminum handle, which I have seen with scrubbed originals, the biggest red flag I see is the numbers. They look off, spread too far apart, and no arsenal mark before or after it.

PG-

Comment

I am not trying to talk this into being an original happy to accept it isn't
              but wouldn't a polished alloy original tsuka look the same?
              So it's not a red flag??

Comment

My posts keep
                Being duplicated is anyone else getting this problem ?
                Last edited by nickn; 03-07-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Nick,
                  I wouldn't rush to judgement about this one! While Fuller & Gregory mentions that there are "mint examples" of the NCO gunto on the market (therefore if "mint", how are we to really know?), I see some interesting things: 1. The very eary serial number. I have a copper-handled NCO whose saya (scabbard) has no number. Fulller & Gregory lists a couple of swords with "unexplainable" missing stamps. So, I'm not concerned about the missing arsenal stamp on the blade. 2. The inspection stamp on the collar (fuchi) is Nagoya. Nagoaya blades are the only NCOs with numbers that are read with the cutting edge up. So that is correct. The contractor mark matches nicely with the "unknown" mark on Ohmura's Study: See http://ohmura-study.net/794.html. 3. The aluminum handle looks like the MAJORITY of all NCOs on the market today. The paint simply wore off during use. I have one myself. 4. The brass in the throat is wearing off, so that is odd, but being an early, and considering the wide variety of quality, becuase of hundreds of factories making thousands of swords - that's just human nature.

We all like pristine, regulation perfection, but reality is often not that way.

I'd enjoy the gunto. If it's fake, it's pretty darn good - good enough to enjoy.

Price: these tend to run from $600 to $2400 depending upon the rarity and condition. Yours would sell on eBay for $600-700.
                  Last edited by BruceP; 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

The type face of the numbers looks off to me as does the low number, but who can say. Perhaps measure the thickness of the tsuba (expect to see 9mm or 11mm I think, Stu or Stegal could say) and let us know. A photo of the scabbard drag might provide an additional clue, those can be a tell fakers screw up.

Overall it's hard to say from the pics Nick, I wouldn't jump to conclusions either way.

Rod

Comment

hello bruce
                      the brass isnt wearing off it just appears the braze has run
                      under a loop the insert is neat
                      nick

Comment

I knew I had seen that factory stamp - Dawson has it, identical to yours- it's "Gifu"
                        Attached Files

Comment

The photos are pretty poor ( no offense ) and these are copied to hell so top quality in focus photos are always useful to avoid disappointment . Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

No offence taken I am useing a Kodak dc200 from 1995 with a binocular objective taped to the lens to take close ups
                            Those marks are identical to the ones on this sword and the copper colour is the same
                            Clever fakers copying a rare mark
                            I don't know when the old man bought the sword but I do know rust and how to make it .the rust and pitting on the scabbard is not chemically induced it has real age
                            So it's an old copy/fake
                            Last edited by nickn; 03-07-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

That Gifu Stamp Bothers Me ....

Nickn,

Are those arsenal stamps on the fuchi stamped in? From the photo you provided, they seem to have the tell-tale sign of being cast along with the fuchi -- especially the Gi[fu] stamp. I downloaded and inverted the image .... they do not appear stamped in to me.

What do you see with the sword (and a magnifying glass) in hand? Are there slight depressions where the "stamps" are?

--Guy

Comment

Hello guy
                                Stamped not cast

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X