Officer sword with interesting decal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer sword with interesting decal.

Very interesting decal like attachment on an officers sword scabbard. What is this? I have never seen this before.

Store label from Seki in Gifu.

Comment

Oh wow very Interesting. Thank you. Would this be war time or sold post war in this store?

Comment

Originally posted by FightenIrish35 View Post
        Oh wow very Interesting. Thank you. Would this be war time or sold post war in this store?
        Swords were confiscated and disposed of post war, so war time label (new old stock?).

Comment

Interesting! The Germans had shops called Effecten (if I spelled it right) specializing in custom order Tailored Uniforms, Dress daggers,Swords etc. Perhaps this sword came from the Japanese equivalent of such a store.
          Regards,Geoff

Comment

Thank you did the quick response. By old new stock you mean this would have been sold in his shop during the pre 1945 period correct? I'm nog familiar with the laws in Japan after 1945 so I am not sure if it was legal for swords to be sold in shops post 45

Comment

Not a shop label, but a label that says the sword had passed the quality check done by the Seki-city Blade Manufacturer's Association. They were set up in 1931. They did not check blades made in the traditional style, only the mass produced swords, which were also later stamped with the Seki mark or the Sho from Showa within a Cherry blossom on the tang.

Comment

Would seki in Gifu be the seller of goods or the sword smith .

Comment

Wow. Thank you do much nick. That is fascinating they did this!!

Comment

In 1939, approx 34000 finished swords passed the check by the association in this manner

Comment

I suppose when an officer walked into a store to purchase a sword this would pop out as passing the sword blade associations requirements and give it a quality like appearance. It is a very beautiful sword. I will post photos in a little bit of the blade.
                      Thank you for ths information on the label gentleman.

Comment

i think i have one like that i'll post pictures later.

Comment

pictures of my sword i bought this at the sos show 5 years ago
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X