Helmet cover with bamboo camouflage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
    Don (nutmeg), I really like the helmet that you posted. Very nice, imho . It is unfortunate (but understandable) why advanced collectors are more and more reluctant to share their collections. It is just not worth it. In the end, people like Hambone contributed little, if anything, and adversely affected the quality and sharing of the Forum. Sad really. Reminds me of a favorite saying of an old-time collector...arguing with such people is like wrestling with a pig. In the end, you end up dirty and the pig likes it.

Thanks, Walter. Nicely stated. And so true!

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB
      As I said, it becomes tedious to argue against the uninformed, those that are jealous or the ones that merely want to cause strife because they have a personal axe to grind against the owner of the item. Take your pick. I have absolutely no problem with items in my collection. When incorrect statements are made, however, it is important to correct them for the sake of the collecting community.

On a different note, you certainly seem to have quite an issue with German helmet collectors!

Again, you hit the nail on the head, Walter!

Comment

Another coincidence with these two items is that the insignia are missing from both. Perhaps the trophies were shared between soldiers on the trip home? Insignia were easy to pocket and less cumbersome to bring back then helmets. I can't help but think that these two might have been picked up after the same battle, but alas we will never know.

Comment

Recall also that this cover was found in a Marine vet footlocker without a helmet, so the original helmet, cover and insignia might have been split three ways as souvenirs, potentially.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
            I like your helmet cover Scott and its foliage looks similar to mine. For what it is worth, the provenance of my helmet is a footlocker of a GI that fought in Okinawa. The footlocker also had a Japanese sniper rifle, which I did not get. I only got the helmet. I must admit that I have not looked at my helmet's foliage to see if it has the serrated edges. I will try to do so this weekend.
            Well Scott, I apologize for the delay in looking at my helmet carefully. I must admit that you gave me "new eyes" and I have now seen very interesting details on a helmet that I have had for over a decade. From what I recalled, I doubted that my helmet's foliage contained serrated edges, but now I stand corrected. Upon initial appearance, the foliage appears straight edged, but that is just because the leaf's serrated edges were folded inward (if that makes sense). It is only on the occasional leaf that has broken in two that you can appreciate the serrated edge of the leaves. By the way, I apologize for the relatively poor pictures, but it has been overcast and wet for several days and, as a result, I do not have ideal picture-taking conditions.

In any event, I am posting the picture of the original helmet that was mentioned with the serrated edge on its foliage:
            Attached Files
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
            Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Next we have pictures of the natural plant:
              Attached Files
              When you go home
              Tell them for us and say
              For your tomorrow
              We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Now let's examine my helmet. Taking a look at an overview of the helmet, first impression is not favorable towards serrated edges. But again, that is because the leaves' edges have been folded inwardly.
                Attached Files
                When you go home
                Tell them for us and say
                For your tomorrow
                We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

But close examination of certain leaves that, through time, have split reveal the edges of such leaves:
                  Attached Files
                  When you go home
                  Tell them for us and say
                  For your tomorrow
                  We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Another different leaf showing its serrated edge:
                    Attached Files
                    When you go home
                    Tell them for us and say
                    For your tomorrow
                    We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Another example of a serrated edge (sorry for the relatively poor picture).
                      Attached Files
                      When you go home
                      Tell them for us and say
                      For your tomorrow
                      We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Anyway, it was cool to find something that I had not previously noticed! Thanks for pointing this tropical plant out and finding an intriguing similarity in my helmet when compared with the foliage of the other helmet.
                        When you go home
                        Tell them for us and say
                        For your tomorrow
                        We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Helmet cover with bamboo camouflage

Thanks, Walter! That looks indeed like screwpine to me! So that makes three now. It seems unlikely now that three different artifacts would have been concocted postwar with this plant, even though the plant can be found on the mainland. Again, it's a stretch to declare these all as fakes IMO just because of that. The faker in FL was using leaves from Palm Sunday palms as I recall. Anyway you seem confident of the provenance.

Your helmet increases my confidence in the use of screwpine as camo during the war and increases our sample by one. Nice to see it was souvenired at Okinawa, too! I consider Okinawa as the most likely candidate for the origin of my cover, although Iwo Jima cannot be ruled out (yet).
                          Last edited by NARVIK1940; 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zts View Post
                            original cover, in the late of war no stamp is normally.

Just curious if we have any way to bracket these unstamped late war covers time wise? I doubt that a serious study has been done. Just 1945, or perhaps a bit earlier? The same question regarding yellow painted anchors - when did these start appearing? Anyone know?

Comment

Walter no doubt in my mind your helmet & net and Scotts cover are 100% original. Glad you all enjoyed my research regarding availibility to screw pine in America. Always fun to speculate isn't it? Great to see you back on board. Researching those covers would be another great research project for you to take on during down time between white camo helmets & field improvised camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                                Walter no doubt in my mind your helmet & net and Scotts cover are 100% original. Glad you all enjoyed my research regarding availibility to screw pine in America. Always fun to speculate isn't it? Great to see you back on board. Researching those covers would be another great research project for you to take on during down time between white camo helmets & field improvised camo.
                                The pleasure is, of course, all mine! Your research, if you can call it that, was rather insignificant. So no real contribution or detraction, really. As to your reference to white camos and field improvised camos, I am afraid I don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about. Nor do you, for that matter!
                                When you go home
                                Tell them for us and say
                                For your tomorrow
                                We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X