No announcement yet.

Latest addition to my collection.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I just e-mailed the dealer. Told him to send it too me. I just don't see any problems after looking at so many different examples. NLF, Jareth, and anyone else to cares to give your input, thank you very much. This has been very educational and will help me in the future and hopefully I can now help someone else in the future. I've learned quite a bit about these insignia, their construction and application over the last 24 hours lol

Regards,
    Joel

Comment

Joel, I think you did the right thing Better to inspect in hand and see for your self. Keep us posted when you get the tunic. Regards, David.

Comment

Joel,
        The rate looks good but the sakura pin doesn't look right. An original blue aviation sakura should exhibit a color more like an aqua blue. The face of the pin is made of Cloisonné , a glass enamel and the color has a metallic flake look to it ( it almost has the look of car paint) It really has a beautiful jeweled look to it and is unmistakable once you see the real thing. The construction of the frame is brass and the filament and anther's of the flower are brass set into the Cloisonné, on originals the filament and anther's have a 3 dimensional /raised look, not so with fakes. The first tell tale sign of the fakes is the color- its a light sky blue- one dimensional -solid/flat color with no iridescence. If compared to an original -the fakes actual flower thickness is thinner. On fakes, the clasp in the back will also be thinner. On other branch of service sakura's (ie: yellow) the fakes do a better job of simulating an original, thats because the original yellow sakura lacked this iridescent look. However the construction of the brass frame of the fake sakura is the main way of identifying the fakes in other colors. I think I have some fakes laying around. I will snap some comparison photos for you. There is also a late war painted version, but it also exhibits different qualities than the repro's.
        Last edited by Dean Brock; 01-17-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Here is an original aviation branch sakura on the left and a repro on the right.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dean Brock; 01-17-2012, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Here is the reverse and construction of the brass frame as I have described. Once again the original is on the left side, repro on right. Notice the relative thinness of the clasp on the repro and overall thinness of flower frame.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dean Brock; 01-17-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Great presentation Dean. I was suspicious of Joel's sakura.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Brock View Post
                Here is an original aviation branch sakura on the left and a repro on the right.
                Note the blooms on each one. On the original, they are in bunches of 3, with base stems touching. Not so on the reproduction. The one on this tunic are touching. Thank you for this post. Might have it in hand tomorrow.

Regards,
                Joel

Comment

That can be a great way to spot reproductions of these quickly. Or one run of reproductions anyway.

Regards,
                  Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Brock View Post
                    Joel,
                    The rate looks good but the sakura pin doesn't look right. An original blue aviation sakura should exhibit a color more like an aqua blue. The face of the pin is made of Cloisonné , a glass enamel and the color has a metallic flake look to it ( it almost has the look of car paint) It really has a beautiful jeweled look to it and is unmistakable once you see the real thing. The construction of the frame is brass and the filament and anther's of the flower are brass set into the Cloisonné, on originals the filament and anther's have a 3 dimensional /raised look, not so with fakes. The first tell tale sign of the fakes is the color- its a light sky blue- one dimensional -solid/flat color with no iridescence. If compared to an original -the fakes actual flower thickness is thinner. On fakes, the clasp in the back will also be thinner. On other branch of service sakura's (ie: yellow) the fakes do a better job of simulating an original, thats because the original yellow sakura lacked this iridescent look. However the construction of the brass frame of the fake sakura is the main way of identifying the fakes in other colors. I think I have some fakes laying around. I will snap some comparison photos for you. There is also a late war painted version, but it also exhibits different qualities than the repro's.
                    Thanks Dean. If this is the case, there are many fakes on the market.

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Japan...s/J001464.html

I think the most telling are if the stems are touching. The above dealer is pretty reputable and the coloring on his star is the same as mine. Its enamel. I would assume them to be later war and the higher quaility ones, like you have pictured to be early. But I've run across many of this same blue color. I think the thickness will tell me.

Regards,
                    Joel

Comment

Also, what about the stems bases? The dealer's example, my example and your original example all have the 3 stem bases touching, while the reproduction has clear, evident gaps. I wonder how many manufactures you have of this type of item right now. Thanks for the education Dean!

Regards,
                      Joel

Comment

Ok to put it bluntly Joel , without seeing it in hand I am about 99 % sure yours is a reproduction sakura .Aviation ones are extremely rare and are harder to find then hens teeth.

Comment

Oh I understood that from your revised post. I appreciate you telling me, certainly appreciate it. Sorry if you misunderstood. As I was discussing with another forum member in private, I've looked at every example of these to be found on the internet the last 24 hours and either these fake sakuras are dominating the market or they were an issue. But if a fake, as you have pretty much convinced me, certainly not from the same maker as the one you posted an image of. Thanks again,

Joel

Comment

And can I ask if you believe the one on The Collector's Guild website is a reproduction? If so, I need to e-mail him and point him to this thread.

Regards,
                            Joel

Comment

I'll tell you this much, if the filaments aren't raised, I'm sending it back. I think that would be the best indicator. I just can't help but think there are later war examples that aren't and weren't meant to look like jewler's pieces. The tunic is not an early tunic. When it gets down to it, I'm going to go with what you, Jareth and a few others say. Just a sad thought there are so many fakes out there, like on CG's website. I got out of SS material for this reason years ago.

Regards,
                              Joel

Comment

There are far less Japanese repros. Don't get discouraged. The jumper looks good all around with exception of sakura.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X