Latest addition to my collection.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest addition to my collection.....

This is far from salty, but its such a nice example, its IJN, and the sleeve ranking is that of able seaman (airman). The tie is original to the jumper and has the same issuing tag. Besides doing translating for me, Hisash over at AHF is an absolute treasure and wealth of info. No problems at all with blacklight. In regards to the tag...

再用品: reused item
    In general, NCO/PO and soldiers/sailors had their gears rent from authority. They returned it (in prewar Japan). This cloth is a refit one so 'produced date' is blanc (size 3). Issued to Watanabe Hajime 渡辺一(most typical reading I think but as usual Japanese name has an infinite number of irregular reading) in Jul 1943. His IJN personnel number shows he was a volunteer kikanhei living in Yokosuka naval district (roughly, Pacific Ocean side of east Japan). Kikanhei was typically an engine mechanic but some kikanhei was specialized in electric power system and other non-combat machines on ships.

He had not known about the sleeve insignia with the mark of "airman", so I think its a safe bet to say the owner was an aircraft mechanic.

I purchased this after losing out on a Yosegaki flag many of you might have seen on ebay. It had good provenance to the Battle of Porton Plantation. I fully intended to own it, and bid some pretty stupid money on it to be sure I got it. Seems as though someone wanted it a lot worse than I did. It went for $700.00 at 4:00 AM this morning. My high bid was $650.00. Seems as though the market for provenanced flags has really picked up lately. But for half the price of a beat up flag, I was able to add this fine jumper to my collection and will look great displayed. Regards,

Joel
    Attached Files

/
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice! When I saw it on E-bay, I thought of you

PG-

Comment

Thanks Paul! Its been in the back of my mind since it was listed a week or two ago. Perhaps it was a good thing losing out on the Porton flag. In a battle where there were only 26 Japanese casualities, I guess I'd have a hard time sleeping good wondering if it came off of one of those soldiers and was truly from a soldier in the battle. But the provenance sure looked good. This is the nicest jumper I've seen, besides a full uniform I was offered, but I don't believe it included a sleeve shield let alone being for an Able Airman. Interesting the owner of my tunic was likely someone in the Yokasuka distirct. I have a DD cap and several different tallys for Yokosuka that would display well with it, but I'll keep them apart since they didn't come together. Between this jumper and that Siapan piece I purchased a few days ago, likely my last purchase for a bit. Got to keep the wife happy. But hey, if I see something I have to have, you never know!

Regards,
        Joel

Comment

Joel that enamel blue sakura color looks weird. Check if prongs do not go completely through sleeve. Also that rank insignia is only tacked on by corners

Comment

I had a feeling of dread when I saw your posted. lol I will check it out. Luckily the seller had a good rep and will take items back.

Comment

I have one winter blue tunic with a sleeve shield on it that i am 110% sure is original to the tunic that has almost the exact sewing pattern. I just checked it out closely under light. But this is a tunic, not a jumper. The fact the corners aren't just holding it on doesn't bother me too much. I'll have to get the sakura in hand, photos can be tricky on color, but from the few I've found, pictured in color, that doesn't worry be greatly. The prongs shall tell the tale! Thanks Jareth!

Joel

Comment

Jareth, I had to turn this into a negative image to make it show up, but look at this loose shield. Its a good one, with prongs. You can see the same pattern stitiching as on my shield.
                Attached Files

Comment

I dont' know, color looks pretty good from here considering these are photos. If its a fake, its a good one.

Regards,
                  Joel
                  Attached Files

Comment

The sewing I'm looking at is part of manufacture of the shields. Duh. I know what you are saying now.

Comment

No Joel. I'm referring to the sewing stitches used to apply insignia to sleeze. Most original rank patches are tack stitched on each corner. Round ratings are often tack stitched on at 12, 3, 6 & 9 oclock positions. You do know your helmet insignia is a copy?

Comment

After some deconvolution of the image and a few filters (I'm a planetary astrophotographer, lots of imaging software!) I'm able to see some single stitches holding the shield on. I'll just have to get this sucker in hand, but if no prongs, its a deal killer. Lucky the dealer hasn't shipped. I'm awaiting an answer. Several thousands of deals from this dealer on ebay, full refunds offered if not satisfied and not a single negative, so Jareth, I might owe you a beer or two.

Regards,
                        Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                          No Joel. I'm referring to the sewing stitches used to apply insignia to sleeze. Most original rank patches are tack stitched on each corner. Round ratings are often tack stitched on at 12, 3, 6 & 9 oclock positions. You do know your helmet insignia is a copy?
                          Thats not my stuff.

Comment

Even if you look closely at that picture without any enhancement you can see the stitch at 6 o'clock and another between it and 3 o'clock. Also 1 o'clock in that corner.

Joel

Comment

You are bad for my blood pressure Jareth! Just kidding. Honestly, thank you. I've learned a lot from you in this thread and will let you know on the prongs as soon as I hear.

Joel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X