No announcement yet.

Gallipoli star [sic]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,iv'e posted this one before what about the cap type badge that it came with,any idea's
    Merdock
    Attached Files

Comment

This hobby never caeses to amaze me, i can't believe the amount of info on Gallipoli stars that i just learned!
      Antti

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
        This hobby never caeses to amaze me, i can't believe the amount of info on Gallipoli stars that i just learned!
        Learn, Learn, Learn... and within ten years you will be here teaching others like Rick ...

BTW - I did not notice you bidding on it...I bought it for 36€

Jani
        - Military historian and dealer from Finland.
        - Collecting Finnish awards, German EK1's 1939, KVK1's w/o swords and Tirolian shooting badges.
        I still need EK1's L/14 Screwback and Pinback.

Comment

Well, i'll be a son-of-a-bitch.. hehe
          Antti

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
            One thing you haven't learned is not to call it the Gallipoli Star.

I was thinking of going back into every post where any of you called it the Gallipoli Star or Iron Half-Moon, waving the moderator wand, and putting in this guy next to your name - - but I changed my mind. I still could do it though.

This Turkish War Medal is similar to one Hannibal showed in the Turkish War Medal 1915: Types Catalog PART TWO, regarding which Ricky had asked about the mark on the hinge:

Here is a close-up of the mark:

This is almost too close-up. It appears to have been intended to be an Arabic numeral "1" or possibly an alif, the first letter of the Arabic alphabet (it could also be a misstruck Arabic 2). So, we have a minor mystery. Was this enameled piece produced in the Ottoman Empire and given an Ottoman mint mark? Or was it produced elsewhere under contract for the Empire and given an Ottoman inventory control number or something like that? It is not otherwised marked.

Dave
            Last edited by Dave Danner; 09-20-2003, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Nice and unusual. I thought it was a palm tree.
              Since we are back on my (favorite) subject though. would everybody mind comparing their BB &Co. stars (and if possible weighing and measuring them) to the BB & Co. examples shown herein?
              I have noticed some slight variations in the enameling on two while going over old notes and am now wondering if there is a spectrum of stars, perhaps this is another indicator of "BB & Co." denoting the catchs& pins.

Comment

This hobby never caeses to amaze me, i can't believe the amount of info on Turkish War Medals that i just learned! Happy now? hehe...
                Antti

Comment

Hi Antti,

how about this one here?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Back with "900" silver mark:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now that's what i call a mint Turkish War Medal , jens!
                      Antti

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Keiper

Gentlemen,

I hate to bring this up --- as I will sound like a broken record (you older guys know what I am talking about there --- the days before CD's). I am looking for a screwback version of the Turkish War Medal. I have seen photos of one or two examples but have yet to purchase one.

I have the uniform of Generalleutnant Ludwig Keiper. As you can see from the attached photos, he wore both the Turkish War Medal and the Turkish flyer's badge. He found himself in Turkey in 1918 at the end of the First World War. At the end of World War II, he was the Chief of the Luftwaffe Mission to Slovakia and this photo was taken in Bratislava in 1944.

Do any of you know where I can find one of these --- or have one you are willing to sell? His uniform has provision for the screwback version of this medal and I do not want to substitute something else over that beautifully tailored hole in the right breast pocket!

Any help would be much appreciated. Incidentally, "majorplm" has one on his website in Paris but it is in a private collection and not for sale. You can see it under the "collections" page.

Best regards,

Mike Heuer
                          Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Close up

Closeup of his medals in wear.

Mike
                            Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

I've just found this very interesting grouping on Helmut Weitzes website. The ribbon bar with the devices is very interesting!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Dave,

Here is what could possibly be another type of hallmark. The badge I have is of the same construction that you have shown, but the "mark" is comprised of two vertical rows of four squares. Until you showed the mark on your version I always attributed the marks on my example to merely be an unintentional result of the badge's manufacture process...who knows? That could very well be the case, but I find it curious that the mark is in the relatively same location as your chop.
                                Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X