The Machinegunner Sharpshooters Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Machinegunner Sharpshooters Badge

First let me say Thanks to Brian S for kick starting my interest in this badge and for providing me (he probably doesn't know it) with the idea for this thread.

Second, this thread is going to take me a little bit to lay out so please don't respond until I have all my evidence out on the table.

We all know that this badge is heavily faked. We also believe that few soldiers actually wore this badge at the front. My purpose with this thread is to provide collectors with the knowledge to weed out the fakes and in doing so I will also hope to dispell the myth that this badge wasn't worn at the front. My evidence comes from 6 period photographs, each with one or more badges being worn.

The first shot is a studio portrait. Notice how clear the badge is.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don Doering; 12-15-2004, 06:17 AM. Reason: because I type faster than I can spell
    pseudo-expert

Close up of the badge. Notice the detal. Pay attention to the front legs of and the gaps in the trail.
    Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Comment

Number 2 is another portrait.
      Attached Files
      pseudo-expert

Comment

and a close up of his badge.
        Attached Files
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Number 3 shows two soldiers with the badge on a railcar in Feb 1919. They are the first two soldiers on the left. Definately post war by 3 months but not studio photos either.
          Attached Files
          pseudo-expert

Comment

I will only show the badge on the first soldier. The other is hard to see.
            Attached Files
            pseudo-expert

Comment

The fourth picture shows a soldier standing outside- perhaps a snapshot taken at the barracks. It definately isn't a studio shot.
              Attached Files
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Close up of this badge. Only the front is clearly visible. Notice the contour and relief of the badge.
                Attached Files
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Photo 5 sounds at least 2 badges being worn. These soldiers are either in garrison or behind the front somewhere. Again, not a studio shot but in their service uniforms.
                  Attached Files
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

These badges are harder to see but the images provide a feeling of the badges' thickness/relief. This shot is on the man sitting in the center.
                    Attached Files
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

This is the man standing on the right of the formation holding the reins of the brown horse.
                      Attached Files
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

Last photo is a studio shot. Again, notice the pride and clarity with which the badge is presented.
                        Attached Files
                        pseudo-expert

Comment

close up of this badge. Again, notice the front legs and the gaps in the trail. These areas (I believe) are key to identifying an original badge.
                          Attached Files
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

We have here a good mix of period photos showing the badge in wear. We also have accounts of allied soldiers looking for germans wearing this badge after battles. This leads me to believe that the badge was worn in combat, at least in the beginning if not throughout the entire war. Perhaps it fell into disuse as materials and supplies became short and moral plummeted.

The pictures also provide us with clues to finding the real badges out there now.
                            I will next post a succession of badges for you to compare to the ones above. You have to sense more than identify individual features but in the end you should be able to at least discard the obvious fakes and spot several 80-90% good ones.

Here is a composite so you don't have to scroll up.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Don Doering; 12-15-2004, 06:19 AM.
                            pseudo-expert

Comment

#1- to make it easier I will shrink the badges for you.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Don Doering; 12-14-2004, 09:26 PM.
                              pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X