No announcement yet.

BDOS Article - 1870 EK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very fine thread .You men are doing us all a great service .Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    Regards
    Michael

Comment

Hi Trevor,
      thank you so much for the translation.

All the best and greetings, Mike

Comment

Ouch, great article. Means, this one is Ninth bead fake too? Picture is not very good, but that "pearl" is shining like a dog´s balls.
        http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/Iron-...1-pr-5347.html
        Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
          Ouch, great article. Means, this one is Ninth bead fake too? Picture is not very good, but that "pearl" is shining like a dog´s balls..

Yup - and I'll wager anything that the WHS attached is the 'cats paw' type spange, marked Wagner, moon, crown and 800.

A common combo and best avoided...

Comment

Les Rosenbaums, lol, nice to see them earning on fake german crosses, heh. And what about Barry?
            http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?item=GEM1074#bigPic

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
              Les Rosenbaums, lol, nice to see them earning on fake german crosses, heh. And what about Barry?
              http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?item=GEM1074#bigPic
              For me, it is a fake!

Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by RAO View Post
                For me, it is a fake!

Regards Mike
                Yes - unfortunately Barrys is a ninth bead as well.

Comment

Honestly, is this really question of fortune? Regards

Comment

I just noticed emedals erased ninth bead from their catalogue. One plus point for them.

Comment

Hi Miro,

I just noticed emedals erased ninth bead from their catalogue. One plus point for them.
                      As it is SOLD...

If you browse the catalogue, more fakes you can find.
                      However I don't think that this reference thread is the appropriate place to discuss 1870 fakes.

I think this one is:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=387414

or please open a new thread as a warning to other collectors

Best regards,
                      Michel

Comment

As I know emedals strategy, they normally leave sold items on the site very long time - with the notice "SOLD" instead of price - they usually don´t erase whole presentation.
                        Thank you for posting me the link where I can discuss, but if you look carefully to the linked thread, you will see i am the last contributor to it - and nobody still answered my question.

Regards Miro

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
                          Does anyone know if there is an English translation of this magazine, or at least this article, from the recent BDOS journal?

http://www.bdos.de/magazin/ausgabe59.pdf

It contains some fairly important - and by the look of the featured crosses, accurate - information on the current thinking on the 1870 iron cross series, including excerpts from the period 'Louis Schneider' book and the '9th Bead fake' .....but unfortunately, only our German friends can read it!!

And that's just not fair is it...

Marshall
                          Here is a link to the translation page version
                          http://translate.google.ca/translate...83%26bih%3D608

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                            .....The continuing pursuit of our quarry leads us to the year 1874. Although not previously noted in the study of this subject, it is nevertheless true that the Royal Prussian Iron Foundry in Berlin was closed in this year. Kaiser Wilhelm I issued the order for closing the Foundry on 31 March 1873, and the last cast was made on 5 January 1874. The inventory of the foundry was sold at auction to other state enterprises and institutions. Not only does this development represent the end of a historically and culturally valuable era of art and Iron work in Berlin, it also raises the interesting question of who, after the Foundry's closing, was able to manufacture cores to meet the demand for replacement Iron Crosses. Inseparable from this question is the existence of core Type B.
                            Here something I want to make sure that I understand correctly.
                            Type A cores first and second class were cast by Berlin Iron Foundry,
                            and after January of 1874 cores of this design were no longer cast.

Wagner and Godet while using what is left of the A type cores,
                            starting to cast their own cores - Wagner A1 and Godet B type .

Questions,
                            ... are all of the A type design cores first and second class were cast before January 1874,
                            or some other company took over the production of the A type core design?

...is there A1 second class core?

Comment

Originally posted by Alikn View Post
                              Here something I want to make sure that I understand correctly.
                              Type A cores first and second class were cast by Berlin Iron Foundry,
                              and after January of 1874 cores of this design were no longer cast.

Wagner and Godet while using what is left of the A type cores,
                              starting to cast their own cores - Wagner A1 and Godet B type .

Questions,
                              ... are all of the A type design cores first and second class were cast before January 1874,
                              or some other company took over the production of the A type core design?

...is there A1 second class core?

the Berlin foundry was not the only royal Iron foundry around in Germany .
                              And not the only Royal foundry that made the iron art linked to iron crosses .

unfortunately closed to ,,two years earlier,, 1872.

after 1874 its not sure what happened ..
                              Germany was full of iron producing factory's ,,,if the inventory was sold ,,just another foundry took over inventory and the production contracts ,,,

regarding iron cores the Army contract would not be a very profitable contract due low production numbers needed at 1874.

regards kay

Comment

A type iron cores so far ..

went to several design changes ,,5 so far I seen .
                                ( beside different mother mold tool examples who may have existed to )

so far,,, the stepped A type i see as first ( plausible retracing )...( in combination with a 1813 frame )

others would have differences in crown and in the numbers..

theres not much afford here on WAF to inventory those design changes..sadly.

so no special thread for you on this matter .

regards kay
                                Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 01-25-2015, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X