BDOS Article - 1870 EK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mike and welcome aboard.

I look forward to more interesting discussions about these magnificent awards.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Hi Mike,

You are very well understood here, and may I say how nice it is to have you as a member.

Trevor
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

English text updated with Sascha and Tony's corrections. Please check the relevant sections for accuracy.

Thanks again,

Trevor
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

A warm welcome to you Mike - a great job and thanks to all who assisted in the translation of this work, particularly Trevor.

Marshall

Comment

Thanks, Marshall. I'm very happy to be able to give back a little of the knowledge that has been so freely given to me on this forum.

For anyone saving or printing this article in English, I've just made some small adjustments in the last few minutes.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

One more small update to the text in the last few minutes. Next up is captions, and then hopefully we're done.
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Comment

Great work and comments by all. This is truly a remarkable addition to the field after all these years. I think replacements in Jubilee period very reasonable given the renewal to wear those last few years in retirement or active service. I'm sure my great grandfather bought all new awards for those last few years in uniform and for those final portraits to appear as pressed and ready as he was 25 years previously.

Comment

I've pinned this thread so it doesn't sink down innto the netherworld.
                  Good info here.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Cool, thanks for pinning this. Captions are in now.
                    ~Trevor
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

Its on www.medalnet.net too. In german language with super pictures and soon in english, too!

http://www.medalnet.net/Eisernes_Kreuz_1870.htm

Comment

Thanks Andreas

Comment

Hello friends in the Imperial section,

Mike Estelmann, author of the BDOS article I translated above, has asked me to do a translation of another small piece he has recently published. I was flattered to be asked, and will post my translation of Mr. Estelmann's companion article below for your enjoyment and edification.
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Further Findings Regarding the 1870 EKII.

by Mike Estelmann

Fake 1870 Iron Crosses are routinely bought and sold in all possible venues, in particular over the internet. Obviously, the market absorbs these dangerous pieces of worthless junk, and they are moved on to clueless collectors. Ignorance and greed are probably the two primary reasons for this alarming trend. However, in order not to stray too far from the topic at hand, let us turn our attention to a new reproduction, or fake, we are facing, in which an attempt has been made to simulate the 1870 Type B core.

In order to manufacture this new type of fake, it is likely that a real, original Type B 1870 EK2 was opened, and the core removed and duplicated. Thus the new fake must be considered substantially more dangerous than the previously-seen "Ninth Bead Fake" (O&E Magazine No. 59, February 2009), as visually the fake cores differ only slightly from an awarded original. However, the method of manufacturing these new fakes provide us with a safe approach to unmasking them.

It is well known that certain metals expand with the application of heat. Such a thermally-induced expansion is then followed, on cooling, with some shrinkage. It is exactly this reaction that allows us to detect the first problematic feature of the fake cores that are our present focus: the design elements that exist in sculpted relief on any 1870 EK core are, on the fake, smaller in size than on originals due precisely to this unavoidable shrinkage. Taken individually, the difference in size is quite minute, and can be difficult to appreciate. However, in direct comparison with an original, the difference becomes immediately apparent. Figures 1 and 2 illustrate these differences clearly.

Figure 1. Obverses. Original (left) and Fake (right).

Figure 2. Reverses. Original (left) and Fake (right).

The fakes show additional anomalies that also permit their identification. Apparently, several flaws were introduced into the molds for the reproduction cores, and thus clearly mark them out as such. The two most obvious flaws, as well as other criteria, will be discussed below.

All the originals so far examined have a very small, but nevertheless extant, serif over the first (leftmost) downstroke of the 'W' in the 'FW' cipher on the reverse core. This portion of the cipher was clearly transferred only partially, or in an extremely rudimentary fashion, to the molds for the fake core. Thus the fakes reveal a striking defect that makes it appear as if the 'W' in 'FW' has no serif on the first downstroke. Additionally, on the fakes, a noticeable flaw runs horizontally across the first downstroke of the 'W', approximately 2mm below the top of the numeral. The soft, spongelike execution of the crowns, date numerals, and oakleaf clusters is also consistent across the fakes examined.

The fakes are also manufactured with newly-made frames, which are identifiable by their unusually coarse beading rims. The artificial aging and the presence of freshly made orange rust (visible in Figure 3.) also make these examples particularly untrustworthy.

Figure 3. A closeup of another fake showing the missing or crude serif on the 'W', the horizontal flaw on same, and the presence of new, orange rust.

Finally, the application of paint as a finish to the cores, as opposed to the chemical blackening method used on originals, should be counted as an additional mark against these types.

Summary of Key Recognition Criteria:
                            • Crowns, date numerals, cipher and oakleaf cluster are notably smaller than originals.
                            • These same design elements are indistinct and sloppy compared to originals.
                            • The 'W' on the reverse 'FW' cipher lacks its upper serif, or is is especially poorly defined. Also, a horizontal flaw runs through the first downstroke of the same letter.
                            • The cores are painted, and fresh orange surface rust is applied.
                            • The newly-made frames exhibit rough beading rims, and show signs of artificial aging.
                            • Size and weight are approximately on par with genuine examples of the 1914 EK2.

Conclusion: A magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe should be sufficient to identify these new and dangerous fakes. However, one must be armed with the knowledge of what to look for, and how to identify the small characteristics that mark this piece out as a fake, in order to make a confident determination.

Acknowledgments: Mr. Sascha W., Karlsruhe and Mr. Michael Fischer, Ladenburg, I thank you for your helpful support.
                            Last edited by Don Doering; 01-03-2010, 12:20 PM.
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Comment

Trevor and Mike, thank you again!

From the photos the fake looks very convincing. In hand you've provided us with valuable telltale signs.

Comment

Thank you, Brian
                                Best regards,
                                Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X