This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freikorps Lichtschlag - arm badge

Freikorps Lichtschlag was established on 14 December 1918 in Hagen, Westphalia as part of the VII. Armeekorps based in Münster under General Oskar von Watter. It was commanded by Hauptmann Otto Lichtschlag and had a strength of 2530 men.

In early 1919 the unit was deployed against the Ruhr red army in the Ruhr area.

On 15 February the force acted against striking workers in the town of Dorsten with severity. Subsequently the supporters of the Communist Party (KPD) and the Independent Social Democratic Party (USPD) declared a general strike in the Ruhr area. This was suppressed quite ruthlessly, however. Subsequently, the situation remained tense and was further aggravated by the actions of the Freikorps. On 15 April 1919, soldiers of the Freikorps Lichtschlag shot into a gathering of striking workers in the district of Mettmann, resulting in several deaths and injuries.

In June 1919 it became part of Reichswehr-Brigade 31 in the preliminary Reichswehr. Reichswehr-Brigade 31 merged with Reichswehr-Brigade 7 in October 1919.

During the Kapp Putsch in March 1920, the unit did not support the Weimar Republic, but was a supporter of the putschists led by the Ehrhardt Brigade's occupation of Berlin. The unit was deployed against the workers who refused to call off their general strike after they caused the Putsch to collapse because of lack of popular support.

Afterwards, during the the Ruhr Uprising in March 1920 the unit marched into the town of Wetter, in order to enter the Ruhr area from the east and out-flank the Ruhr Red Army. On 16 March the advance of the unit was stopped near Dortmund-Aplerbeck by 10,000 men of the Ruhr Red Army which defeated the Freikorps the next day.

Because of its brutality through its various actions, Freikorps Lichtschlag was nicknamed by the left-wing, "Freikorps Totschlag" (Freikorps Homicide) - a play on its name.

A memorial in memory of the fallen of Freikorps Lichtschlag and 3. Marine-Brigade Loewenfeld was inaugurated 25 June 1934 in Dorsten. It carried the inscription:

"Den Freikorps Lichtschlag/Loewenfeld, Februar 1919 - März 1920. Unsern Befreiern aus Spartakistengewalt. Mit Adolf Hitler im zweiten Jahr des dritten Reiches 1934. Euch was verhüllt. Nun ists am Tag. Ihr schlugt den ersten Hammerschlag".

(Freikorps Lichtschlag/Loewenfeld, February 1919 - March 1920. Our liberators from Sparticist violence. With Adolf Hitler in the second year of the Third Reich 1934. What was denied you is now given you on this day. Yours was the first hammer blow).

It was thrown into the river by British soldiers after the war. It was salvaged in 1949 and used as a memorial for German prisoners of war.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian L.; 11-05-2016, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Die Eiserne Flotille / Eiserne Torpedobootsflotille

Rare cap tally. There are a few different variations of this tally that existed both in navy-blue and black silk with silver lettering.

-Eiserne Torpedobootsflotille
      -Eiserne Torpedoboots-Flotille
      -Eiserne Flotille

Originally known as Die Freiwillige Nordsee-Torpedobootsflottille.

Founded in Wilhelmshaven on February 20, 1919 under the Generalkommando des Garde-Korps (Garde-Kavallerie-Schützen-Division, Berlin) and attached to Freikorps Lettow-Vorbeck. It was disbanded on August 3, 1920.

Commanded by Korvettenkapitän Rudolf Lahs (1880-1954) (later Reichsmarine Kontoradmiral, Vice-President of Deutschen Versuchsanstalt für Luftfahrt (DVL) and President of the Reichsverbandes der Deutschen Luftfahrt-Industrie (RDLI).

Order of battle

1. Eiserne Halbflottille

2. Eiserne Halbflottille

The Flotille were first stationed in Emden harbor in March, 1919 to prevent a communist uprising.

The Flotille participated in the Hamburg uprising, June 1919 (known as Die Hamburger Sülzeunruhen).
      The Eiserne Flotille with 8 torpedo boats blocked the Elbe and the entrance to Hamburg and provided a link between Detachments Lebedur and Heug (Reichswehr Pionier_Batl. 9).

It also supported the Kapp-Luttwitz Putsch in March 1920.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
        Die Eiserne Flotille / Eiserne Torpedobootsflotille

Rare cap tally. There are a few different variations of this tally that existed both in navy-blue and black silk with silver lettering.

-Eiserne Torpedobootsflotille
        -Eiserne Torpedoboots-Flotille
        -Eiserne Flotille
        I forgot to add that some tallies also had yellow/gold lettering. Perhaps the different color lettering denoted which Halbflotille the member was in.

Comment

Freiwilligen 1. Garde-Reserve-Division

Metal Sleeve badge and very rare embroidered cloth variant (Elk's Skull). The metal badge was also worn as a cap badge by 1. Bataillon des. 1. Garde-Reserve-Regiment.
          The metal sleeve badge normally has drilled holes for sewing. This version with prongs for attaching to a metal backplate is a variant.

The cloth version is undocumented, as far as I know. So, I have no idea why it existed, whether it was a first version or a variation worn by a certain unit or perhaps a private purchase for an officer.

The Freiwilligen 1. Garde-Reserve-Division was formed from the Imperial 1. Garde-Reserve-Division. It was sent to Kurland in February 1919 and to Westpreußen in May.
          It was used to form Reichswehr-Brigade 34 in June, though parts of it returned to Kurland were it remained until December.

Commanders
          Generalmajor Paul Tiede

First General Staff Officer
          Hauptmann von Rabenau

Formed in the area of
          Generalkommando des Garde-Korps (Berlin)

It was a very large Freikorps of approximately 10,400 men, that encompassed several smaller Freikorps units, many which had their own unit insignia, as well.

Order of battle (20 May 1919)
          1. Garde-Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade (Oberst Freiherr von Schrötter)
          - 1. Garde-Reserve-Regiment (I. & III.) (Major von Brederlow)
          - 2. Garde-Reserve-Regiment (I.-III.) (Hauptmann der Reserve Karl von Plehwe)
          - Garde-Reserve-Regiment 64 (I.-III.) (Hauptmann Schaumburg)
          - Detachement von Brandis * (Hauptmann Cordt von Brandis)
          - Bataillon Gravenstein * (Hauptmann Gravenstein)
          - Bataillon von Maltzan (5. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß) * (Oberleutnant Freiherr von Maltzan)
          Stab des Dragoner-Regiment 2: Major Graf Yorck *
          - 1. Freiwilligen Eskadron Ulanen-Regiment 16 *
          - Eskadron 1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment
          - Detachement Kürassier-Regiment 7
          - Garde-Kavallerie-Eskadron Bredow (3./Garde-Kürassier-Regiment)
          - Freiwilligen Eskadron Dragoner-Regiment 2 *
          - MG-Scharfschützen-Abteilung Ulanen-Regiment 11 *
          1. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment (Major von Schmoller)
          - I.-III., Detachement Stever *
          - Batterie Waldmann *
          - Freiwilligen Batterie Feldartillerie-Regiment 40*
          - 2. (Freiwilligen) Batterie Feldartillerie-Regiment 26 *
          - II./Garde-Fußartillerie-Regiment **
          Kommandeur der Pioniere (Hauptmann Hoymann)
          - 1./Pionier-Bataillon 7
          - Freiwilligen Kompanie Pionier-Bataillon 28 *
          Kampfgeschwader Sachsenberg ** (Oberleutnant zur See Gotthard Sachsenberg)
          - Flieger-Abteilung 413
          - Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 416
          - Schlachtstaffel (Schlasta) 417
          Freiwilligen Ballonzug 108 * (Rittmeister Seer)
          Garde-Divisions-Nachrichten-Kommandeur 401
          - Garde-Divisions-Fernsprech-Abteilung 401 **
          - Garde-Divisions-Funker-Abteilung 17 **
          Divisions-Kraftwagen-Kolonne 090 **
          Freiwilligen Staffelstab 1201 (Hauptmann Schellenberg)
          - Freiwilligen Fuhrpark-Kolonnen (1201, 1202, 1203, 1204 *)
          - Feldbäckerie-Kolonne 311 *
          - Feldschlächterie-Abteilung 351 *
          - Divisions-Brücken-Train 99 *
          - Gendarmerie-Trupp der 1. Garde-Reserve-Division (mounted) **
          - Deutsche Feldpost 875 **
          - Pferdelazarett 401 *
          - Freiwilligen Sanitäts-Kompanie 11 *
          - Freiwilligen Sanitäts-St. 1201

* With the 2. Infanterie-Brigade
          ** Elements with the 2. Infanterie-Brigade
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian L.; 12-09-2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

This thread just keeps getting better. Thanks for showing these Brian.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks Don.

Comment

Here is mine:

(Link to this site)

Comment

That's a classic. Nice example.

Comment

Rare pair of collar badges to the Heimwehr Ostpreussen which was the successor to the short-lived (January 17 - March 15, 1919) Ostpreußisches Freiwilligenkorps which transitioned to the Reichswehr as „Regiment Königsberg“ on March 15, 1919.

The Ostpreußisches Freiwilligenkorps insignia was a silver East Prussian elkhorn worn on the collar. Heimwehr Ostpreussen retained the elkhorn but added the letters HWO.

Little is known about this home guard unit. But, They would have primarily been responsible for border defense against Polish incursions from 1919-21, especially during the 1920 plebiscite to become part of Poland, during which 97% of East-Prussians voted to remain part of Germany. The Heimwehr was likely officially disbanded on June 29, 1921, along with all other civil guard militia units. As happened with other Freikorps and home guards, members drifted into other right-wing paramilitary organizations after June 1921, including the Stahlhelmbund, Bund Reichskriegsflagge. Deutschvölkischer Schutz- und Trutzbund and the Jungdeutscher Orden.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian L.; 04-11-2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Tradition Cuff-title worn by ex-members of Freikorps Caspari who formed Sicherheitspolizei Bremen (Security Police Bremen) in June 1919.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sleeve badge of the Baltic Landwehr/Deutsche Legion/Iron Division

As I haven't yet seen a photo of this being worn during the Baltic campaign, it may have only been worn by veterans in the Verein Ehemaliger Baltikumkämpfer (Association of Former Baltic Fighters) founded in 1922. The black sword on a white shield was originally the insignia of the Baltic Landwehr which later became part of the Deutsche Legion. I have seen photos of this insignia on the wings and tails of planes used in the assault on Riga by the Baltic Landwehr/Deutsche Legion as part of the Eiserne Division in 1919. So, it's possible that the cloth shield was worn during the Baltic campaign.

Here is also a photo of what I believe are veterans in the Verein Ehemaliger Baltikumkämpfer from the early 1920s and also a scene from the recent German film, "Die Letze Front - Defenders of Riga" which appears to show the insignia on the wings of the attacking German planes.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian L.; 04-13-2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Scarce Sleeve badge of the Eiserne Torpedobootsflotille.

Unfortunately, I was out-bid on the badge which just sold for €451 on eBay, more than double its catalogue value.

What can be described as rather insane prices being paid on eBay recently for many Freikorps items is a clear indication of the growing interest in anything to do with the Freikorps.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice one Brian...there will be other fish to catch.

It'll be interesting to see where prices end up in the next 5 years..

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                              Thats a nice one Brian...there will be other fish to catch.

It'll be interesting to see where prices end up in the next 5 years..
                              I actually bid 450 EUR thinking that nobody would be crazy enough to go that high. I really did expect to get it for around 300, which I think is a more realistic price. But, I know the guy that outbid me and he's got very deep pockets. I'm sure he uses sniper bidding and probably put some ridiculous top bid of 600 EUR. Nobody stands a chance against this guy. He and few other crazies are driving up the Freikorps market in Germany.

Comment

My ETF

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X