Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayerisches Schützenkorps (Freikorps von Epp, Freikorps Epp)

1/ First type sleeve badge marked "1919" "Schwegerle" (Hans Schwegerle, Munich sculptor and medallist 1882-1950) worn by the original wearer, Unteroffizier Wilhelm Förch.

2/ First type sleeve badge with green cord indicating the original volunteers who formed Bayerisches Schützenkorps at Ohrdruf on 11 February, 1919. The green cord was added sometime after September 1919 when Freikorps Epp became Reichswehr Brigade 21.

3/ Second type sleeve badge without marks. This sleeve badge is thinner overall and has a rounded frame rather than the bevelled frame found on the first type.

Since the sleeve badge became a Traditionabzeichen of the SA (worn on the lower left sleeve, just above the cuff), versions produced in the 1930s can be found with RZM marks on the reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

Freiwillige Potsdamer Garde-Formationen

My first purchase for 2016, the badge below (top) is described as the "Bruststern" (Breast Star) of the volunteer Guard units.

There were a variety of badges for this assortment of volunteer Guard units including:
      1/ silvered guard stars of various sizes sewn on the sleeve
      2/ a cap badge with a silver guard star inside a gilt laurel/oakleaf wreath
      3/ a black oval sleeve shield with a gilt wreath frame, a central gilt Brandenburg eagle and a gilt cartouche at the top with the word 'Furchtlos' (fearless) and one at the bottom with the word 'Treu' (loyal)
      4/ and finally this 60 mm x 60 mm silvered bronze and enamel breast star, which actually looks more like a service award (although there is no record of it being such).
      The star is multi-part construction. The backplate is soldered to the hollow star. The enameled central medallion is a separate piece. The unusual hardware is an atypical style of hinge and pin only seen on some Freikorps awards. I've never seen this style of hardware used on any other badges or awards of the period.

The reason for the inconsistency and variety of unit badges is because of the random nature of the formation of volunteer guard units in December 1918.

In the section of Von Salomon's 1938 book on the Freikorps containing Major Franz von Stephani's account of the storming of the Spartacist stronghold at the Vorwärtsgebäude in Berlin on January 11, 1919, there is a picture of the Freikorps Potsdam's sleeve badge, which is in the form of a Stahlhelm imposed upon two crossed swords. Next to it is a picture of a badge in the design of an eight pointed Gardestern, captioned "Ärmelabzeichen verschiedener Freiwilliger Potsdamer Garde-Formationen" (Sleeve badge of various volunteer Potsdam Guard formations) (see bottom photo below) but no further reference to the latter is made in the text.

Stephani’s account is very long. But, the gist of it describes how after the front line 1st Guard Regiment zu Fuss had returned under his command to its former barracks in Potsdam after the armistice, it was infiltrated by young non-combatants who set up a Soldiers Council.

Von Stephani however gathered together fragments from several companies and battalions of officer and non-com combat veterans (1. Garde-Regt. zu Fuss, Garde-Jäger Batl., 3. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regt., 4. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regt. and 7 squadrons from various Garde-Kavallerie Regiments) , cobbled up his own staff and in effect took over leadership of the entire garrison from the Soldiers Council with this hodgepodge of volunteer guard units.

He then tells how at the end of December, 1918, news of disturbances from Berlin "stärkte den Zusammenschluss der Garnison zu einer freikorpsartigen Einheit, die ihre Probe auch bald bestehen sollte" (strengthened the coming together of the garrison into one Free Corps like unit, which would soon be put to the test). He then later speaks of "das nunmehr als 'Regiment Potsdam' bezeichnete freiwilligenskorps" (the volunteer corps now designated as "Regiment Potsdam").

All of this supports the idea that the Freiwillige Potsdamer Guarde-Formationen (Volunteer Potsdam Guard Formations) were the rather loose, informal groups from former Guards units pulled together by von Sephani in early December 1918 as his first attempt at forming a Freikorps unit, before they were more formally consolidated into the Regiment Potsdam / Freiwilligen-Regiment Potsdam, which was officially formed as Freikorps Potsdam on January 15, 1919 after the victory over the Spartacists.

The various guard badges attributed to the "Formations" is likely due to the loose and fragmentary nature of multiplicity of units. It's generally believed that because there were several groups under the 'Formations' umbrella, that each adopted whatever badge it could find "in stores".

I believe that these were the badges worn when the consolidated Regiment Potsdam arrived in Berlin in early January, 1919. I also believe that the single unit badge for Freikorps Potsdam was only issued at the official formation of the unit on January 15.

I am still looking for photographic proof and a contemporary written record of this. The surviving Freikorps archives have gaps, which are being filled in all the time with new information.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian L.; 01-04-2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Nicely presented. I always enjoy learning about the insignia and uniforms of the period.

Chip

Comment

This Garde star is 5 cm in width, stamped, and has an enameled center. Im not sure when this type of pin back was used, I've seen similar before.

I am unsure whether it has Freikorps connection.

The V. Solomon picture looks similar, as a stamped piece but its center isnt enameled.... the oakleaf design is the same in both examples.
          I'd imagine these things came in various styles and sizes.

I need to set up better lighting, sorry for the out of focus pics....some better ones can be taken this evening.

Comment

It's possible it was used by Freikorps. Then again it may just be a Garde veteran piece. These were generic and widely available in different constructions at many different military effects shops from the late 19th century into the 1930s.

It's anybody's guess as there's no photographic evidence that I've seen, of them being worn by Freikorps fighters.

Comment

Thanks Brian, Im inclined to agree with you.

Without photo evidence its anybody's guess.

Comment

Hi Mike

The problem with Garde Stern when it comes to the Freiwillige Potsdamer Garde-Formationen is that I believe they wore whatever they could get their hands on. So, there likely was a variety. The badge in von Salomon is only lacquered without enamel and has holes in the arms of the star for sewing on. But, that doesn't mean that other stars weren't worn on both the sleeve and as pin-on breast badges from December 1918 to January 15, 1919. There were several units making up this Freikorps and it's highly probable that each adopted slightly different guard stars that were available commercially. Most of the early Freikorps bought "off-the-shelf" badges as quick and inexpensive unit identifiers. That's why for example there are so many different oakleaves used by several units. They were cheap and plentiful.

But, I just haven't seen any photos and there isn't any real direct written record about the guard stars.

The one I posted below as a breast badge has a pin style attributed only to Freikorps badges and awards, which makes me convinced that it is what I say it is. But, the only photographic reference for this badge that I've seen so far is in Hartung's book.

So, it remains an open question for now.

Comment

Freischar Lautenbacher

Rare armband of a small unit within the Bavarian Freikorps (1st Bavarian Army Corps) which also included Freikorps Oberland and Freikorps Chiemgau.

Freischar Lautenbacher was raised by Hauptmann Lautenbacher in April 1919 to paticipate in the suppression the Munich Soviet.

Together with other Bavarian Freikorps units from 1st Army corps, it became Reichswehr Brigade 22 in Augsburg on June 1, 1919.

The armband is basically the colors of the ribbon of the Militär-Max-Joseph-Orden: black with a thin 5cm inside border of white and 5cm outside border of sky blue and then a 1cm white inside edge and 1cm black outside edge. Unfortunately, the front of this armband must have been exposed to direct sunlight which has bleached out some of the black and all of the blue border. The reverse, however still retains some of the original blue on the border.

For me, the best part is that I picked this up for very little on eBay because it was sold as an unknown Third Reich armband, that thankfully nobody recognized.
                  A discovery of such a rare armband, that nobody else spotted for what it really is, turns this into an especially satisfactory find.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                    Freischar Lautenbacher

Rare armband of a small unit within the Bavarian Freikorps (1st Bavarian Army Corps) which also included Freikorps Oberland and Freikorps Chiemgau.

Freischar Lautenbacher was raised by Hauptmann Lautenbacher in April 1919 to paticipate in the suppression the Munich Soviet.

Together with other Bavarian Freikorps units from 1st Army corps, it became Reichswehr Brigade 22 in Augsburg on June 1, 1919.

The armband is basically the colors of the ribbon of the Militär-Max-Joseph-Orden: black with a thin 5cm inside border of white and 5cm outside border of sky blue and then a 1cm white inside edge and 1cm black outside edge. Unfortunately, the front of this armband must have been exposed to direct sunlight which has bleached out some of the black and all of the blue border. The reverse, however still retains some of the original blue on the border.

For me, the best part is that I picked this up for very little on eBay because it was sold as an unknown Third Reich armband, that thankfully nobody recognized.
                    A discovery of such a rare armband, that nobody else spotted for what it really is, turns this into an especially satisfactory find.
                    Nobody said "Wow"? Then I do Brian, wrong place. You should post this armband to Political org part of the forum and mention that H.Himmler was a member of this Freikorps unit

Comment

Flieger Abteilung der Württembergische Freiwilligen Abteilung (Freikorps) Haas

Unit Breast badge instituted some time between May and September 1919 for the flying unit of Freikorps Haas. The badge apparently also came in a version for sewing on the uniform. I personally believe the badge was more of a commemorative service badge than simply a unit badge, as it probably didn't come into existence until after the unit's operational actions.

Württembergische Freiwilligen Abteilung Haas was formed in Münsingen, Württemberg in February 1919 by Generalmajor Otto Haas with a strength of 2376 men. The principal actions of the Freikorps were fighting against the Bavarian Soviet in Augsburg in April and the main battle in Munich in May 1919, as well as later in 1920 in the Ruhr, as part of Reichswehr-Brigade 13.

As far as I've been able to determine from research, the Flieger Abteilung of Freikorps Haas was formed in April 1919 and took part in the assault on Munich on May 3. 1919. They were likely nominally attached to Freiwilligen-Flieger-Abteilung Dessloch of Freikorps von Epp (commanded by Lnt. Otto Dessloch, former WWI Squadron leader of Bavarian Jagdstaffel 17 and later Generaloberst der Luftwaffe and winner of the Knights Cross with Oakleaves). The Flieger Abteilung of both Freikorps Hass and von Epp only lasted until September 1919 and then were disbanded as per the Treaty of Versailles.

If the Flieger Abteilung followed WWI Feld-Flieger-Abteilung composition structure, it likely had no more than 6 planes, making this badge extremely rare.

These photos are from the seller. When I have the badge in hand, I will post better images.
                      Interesting. Following one lot currently on sale through Hermann Historica (for insane money), looks like this badge has nothing to do with Abteilung Haas but seems to be a general award for liberation of Munchen , awarded by local authorities Also it looks like this badge has 2 types.

Comment

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
                        Interesting. Following one lot currently on sale through Hermann Historica (for insane money), looks like this badge has nothing to do with Abteilung Haas but seems to be a general award for liberation of Munchen , awarded by local authorities Also it looks like this badge has 2 types.
                        It's identified by Haarcke as I've written below and he prices it at 500 Euros, which I think is low. In any event, Haarcke has been known to be wrong in a few instances and is admittedly my only visual source for this badge. But, I've always wondered why a Flieger Abteilung would have a badge that had no aviation symbol of any kind. Also, it's fine construction and hardware does look like it's an award and not just an unit badge. So, your remarks seem valid.

Can you show the link to the HH auction or the image of the one for sale? I logged onto HH, but couldn't find the listing.
                        Last edited by Brian L.; 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I'm not an Association Member currently so can't place pictures. Lot number 5125

Comment

So it actually is the Ehren- und Erinnerungszeichen der Befreier Münchens 1919 (Honor and Commemorative Badge of the Liberation of Munich 1919). I'm quite happy with the discovery of what it really is. It's a bit different than mine. So, we know there were at least 2 types.

How did Haarcke get it so wrong?

Here's the one being sold by Herman Historica with the award document.

1500 Euros might be a bit steep as a reserve. But, then again, how many have you seen? And, it does come with documentation and photos including not only the award document that's probably worth maybe 250-300 on its own. But, there's also a Noske Ausweis which are usually 100+ Euros.

Also, it's Bavarian and Bavarian Freikorps collectors are crazy and have very deep pockets.

I bet the group goes for more than 1500.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Very nice armband score Brian... I just saw this post. Nicely done!

Comment

How did Haarcke get it so wrong?
                                Since they are quite scarce I think he met only one example in a group of FK Haas.
                                You know how it works in a world of Freikorps--we simply have lack of material to make right conclusions sometimes
                                I've seen this badge before in the remnants of FK Ehrhardt group.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X