This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destruction View Post
    Since they are quite scarce I think he met only one example in a group of FK Haas.
    That was my thinking as well.

Up until I saw the one in Haarcke and then got mine, I had only seen a drawing of this badge in the late 70s. I think the drawing was by Verkuilen Ager which he didn't for some reason include in his books, I guess because it was listed as unidentified.

At least, the mystery has been solved.

I assume because the award document is well into the Third Reich period, this award can now replace the FK Wurzburg Ehrenabzeichen as the last Freikorps award.
    It's also interesting that despite Freikorps awards being banned in 1935, a new was instituted and awarded after that date.

Comment

A comparison of the two types. I think they came from the same die. But, the back plates have either pebbled (Herman Historica) or smooth finish and mine has blasted rivets. The pins are slightly different, as well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Cap badges similar to the "Stern von Malplaquet".

It says: Swinemünde (Brücke)* on the back of the picture.

* Świnoujście (German: Swinemünde) is a city and seaport on the Baltic Sea and Szczecin Lagoon, located in the extreme north-west of Poland.

Cheers,
        Robert

Comment

Not a documented Freikorps. So, hard to know. It's not Freikorps Diebtisch. Nor has it anything to do with the Stern von Malplaquet. It's just a guard star, so likely former guard regiment of some kind. I've seen the collar badges before. But, they're not attributable (for now).

Comment

My Lovely New One

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Comment

nice type 2.

Comment

Thx

Comment

Minenwerfer-Sturm-Detachement Heuschkel/Freikorps Heuschkel, commanded by Sergeant Heuschkel was a small Freikorps that consisted of only 14 officers and 183 men. It contained 8 light Minenwerfer sections,4 heavy MG sections,1 light MG section,and a flamethrower unit.They only fought in Berlin in January and March 1919.

Two types of badges are known and many more were made than were needed in anticipation that the unit would grow from recruitment.

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

Nice badge.
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

Today it is arrived . I Love it

Comment

excellent and hard-to-find version of the Ehrhardt Brigade badge.

Comment

Freiwilliges Jägerkorps Goldingen (Berding)

Formed in Kurland in November 1918 by Hauptmann der Reserve Erich Berding. As part of Freikorps Plehwe, it reinforced 2. Garde-Reserve-Regiment of Freiwilligen 1. Garde-Reserve-Division in October 1919 and took part in actions in the Baltic up until early 1920.

The Freikorps disbanded in March 1920.

Freiwilliges Jägerkorps Goldingen was made up of:

1 infantry batallion
                            1 machine-gun company
                            1 cavalry squadron

These oakleaf collar badges are fairly common. But, it's hard to get them complete with the collar tabs. The black tabs are stitched around the edge which is typical of tabs from the Freikorps and early Reichswehr.

The oakleaves were generic, off-the-shelf and came in silver or gilt finish. Whether the silver or gilt finish was an arbitrary choice depending on what was available (Verkuilen Ager's belief) is unknown. I'm of the opinion that the infantry batallion and MG company wore silver and the cavalry squadron wore gilt. But, while logical, there's no evidence to support this.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Detachement Graf Stillfried

Chevron worn on the left sleeve.

Detachement Graf Stillfried commanded by Oberstleutnant Georg Graf von Stillfried und Rattonitz was part of Freikorps Hülsen (see post #28 in this thread) and wore Freikorps Hülsen gilt oakleaf collar badges as well as this distinctive unit chevron.

It became Fusilier Regt. 35 in the Preliminary Reichswehr in June 1919 and later Reichswehr Inf. Regt. 5.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Freikorps Chiemgau / Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau

Formed as part of Freikorps Epp (Bayerisches Schützenkorps) on 11 February 1919, it was later redesignated as Jäger-Battalion Bayerisches Schützenkorps.
                                As part of Freikorps Epp, it saw action against the Communist Münchner Räterepublik (Republic of People’s Councils) in Munich April-May, 1919.
                                Soldiers that continued service after the actions in Munich became part of Freikorps Epp's formation of Reichwehr-Brigade 21 in June 1919.

The remaining veterans of Freikorps Chiemgau/Jäger-Battalion Bayerisches Schützenkorps formed a local militia of approximately 700 men, Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau, which in March 1920 were involved in the liberation of the city of Hof and the suppression of the local Räterepublik. The official report of this action said that the people of Hof greeted the "Landfahne Chiemgau" (an alternate name for Einwohnerwehr Cheimgau) with joy and jubilation. The truth is that the Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau/Landfahne Chiemgau were excessive and brutal in their suppression in Hof, particularly when they were disarming the Red prisoners and were only brought into line by the more disciplined Reichswehr. The people of Hof described the "Chiemgauers" as "unangenehm" (unpleasant) and actually were relieved when they finally left the city.

The Weimar government, wanting to get rid of all remaining Militia units, in favor of the more disciplined and professional State Police and Reichswehr ordered all Einwohnerwehren disbanded by state order on March 19, 1921.

The Bavarian Einwohnerwehr ceased to exist as of June 27, 1921.

In July 1921 former members of Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau formed the Bund Chiemgau which lasted until 1933, when it was banned.

It was reformed in 1951 as Bataillon Inn-Chiemgau as part of the Bund der Bayerischen Gebirgsschützen-Kompanien (Association of Bavarian Mountain Defence Companies), a largely hunting, hiking and environmental preservation organization.

First image - L to R: Sleeve badge of Freikorps/Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau, Hat badge worn on the Bavarian Alpine hat by Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau, Lapel pin worn by former members of Freikorps/Einwohnerwehr Cheimgau all marked DESCHLER U. SOHN, MÜNCHEN, or as in the case of the sleeve badge, simply DESCHLER M.

Second image - Einwohnerwehr Chiemgau in Munich at the Siegestor (victory arch) after the Bavarian State Shooting Competition on September 26, 1920.
                                The inserted image is of a replica of the badge of the Bund Chiemgau (1921-1933). I have never seen an original of this badge. They were likely made by Deschler, as well. Replicas can be bought for € 34,00 from Bataillon Inn-Cheimgau.

All the badges shown in the first image have been officially re-issued by the Bataillon Inn-Chiemgau in recent years, without the Deschler marks, in an oxidized silver finish and overall a very different "feel" from the originals shown. The replica sleeve badge does not have holes drilled for sewing, is a little smaller than the original and has a different style bevelled rim.

These replicas are not cheap by any means. However, needless-to-say, this hasn't stopped some unscrupulous eBay sellers from buying them and putting them up for sale as original Freikorps badges. Originals, particularly of the hat badge are hard to get and in high demand.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Brian L.; 07-09-2016, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X