No announcement yet.

Female uniforms in the Bundeswehr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another possibility is that wholesalers/distributors don't believe these would sell, so they aren't being picked up from the surplusing agencies. What doesn't get picked up from the supply source eventually ends up in the shredder, hence there is a dwindling supply of such items.

This is the same question I often have about surplus materials from the "less common" countries, such as Warsaw Pact nations other than DDR and Czechoslovakia, or for that matter any country outside of Western Europe, the US, and Russia. An eBay seller from Hungary once told me that he personally saved a truckload of old caps and uniform items from destruction only because he happened to be assigned to the detail carrying out the said destruction. Although in this instance, it's more likely a case of bureaucratic fiat than actual market force at work.

Similar events are probably turning more common 'junk' into potentially hard-to-find collectibles all over the world as we speak.

Women, relative to men, just aren't all that interested in these things. When a small number of them do buy surplus materials for themselves, it's often to wear them as a fashion statement, and what they end up picking up are more likely to be men's uniforms rather than women's. So the bulk of the demand for surplus female uniforms comes from just a tiny percentage of collectors. If I were a wholesaler/distributor, that level of demand is unlikely to entice me into investing significantly in these niche items.

Gene T

Comment

Steve,

I think one of the main reasons that female uniforms are not more available is the lack of a market for them. I have met many military uniform collectors who have told me that they have no interest in collecting women's uniforms. Only those of men. Whithout a broader market dealers would not be interested in buying something they can not turn over quickly. It has only been recently that I have seen uniform collectors who are searching for women's uniforms.
      There are exceptions to this though. Airline stewardesses uniforms command high prices. More so than men's. Women's uniforms from the TR period also command a high price and are rare to find. The scarcity here was caused by women reworking their military uniforms after the war into a civilian style. I have an interesting example of this in my collection.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts!

I agree there's a much smaller market for female items. Especially because, until recently, they were limited to "desk jobs" and not field work. That's changed dramatically in the 2000s, of course. Collectors don't have a history of opportunities to be interested in female uniforms, so it will probably take a long time before there is widespread demand. I know I'm only interested in female uniforms to a very, very limited extent. The cut has to be completely different, not just shaped differently.

Still... you would think that retired female service members would try to sell their kit on eBay just like their male counterparts. The value of a male BW clothing is pretty low because of the huge supply, and yet every day tons of it is put up for sale by individuals.

I guess I can easily see the reasons why there isn't much available, but I am still puzzled why it's just about zero. At least recently with the changes in female duties, numbers, and the advent of eBay.

Steve

Comment

Suitable for this diskussion ther is an actual auction at Vebeg, the federal surplus dealer selling all the stuff to Sturm & Co...:

Tuchhosen u. a. (ca. 6,140 t)
          Menge
          ASD-Nr.

Artikelbezeichnung

Gewicht in kg

Hose, Heer

Keilhose

Hose, Lw

Klapphose, dunkelblau

Hose, Marine, dunkelblau

Hose, Heer, Musikkorps

Hose, Lw, Musikkorps

Hose, Marine, Musikkorps

Hose, Heer, weibl. Soldaten

Rock, Heer, gerade

Hose, Lw, weibl. Soldaten

Rock, Lw, gerade

Hose, Marine, weibl. Soldaten

Rock, Marine, gerade

Rock, Heer, ausgestellt

Rock, Lw, ausgestellt

Rock, Marine, ausgestellt

Klapphose, dunkelblau, weibl. Soldaten

Klapphose, weiß, weibl. Soldaten

Hose, zivil

Hose f. Feuerwehrpers., blau

Hose, ziv. Wachpersonal, Hundeführer, grau

Hose, Flugbegleiterinnen

Hose, ziv. Wachpersonal, grau

Its a 6.000 kg lot containing only trousers ... first chiffre is the number, then a code, the descriction of the item and as last the weight of the partial lot in kg. You can see that there are at least 350 Steghosen of the GJ but only very few trousers / skirts for female personell...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X