Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female uniforms in the Bundeswehr

Gentlemen,

Women's uniforms are something that are seldom discussed on militaria forums, incluuding this one. Its time we began to look at them. The one below arrived at my home from England last week. It is composed ona tunic and pants. The blue shirt is of BW issue but too large for a woman. I've done the best I can to make it look as thought it fits at least a little!
    The pictures below show the complete uniform and the makers tag from the pants.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

The tunic rank and shoulder insignia. Rank is for Oberfähnrich. The armelabzeichen indicates the woman was attached to Sanitätskommando II, Dienz/Lahn.
    Attached Files

Comment

The makers tag in the tunic. There are pockets, one on each side, inside the lower front section of the tunic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen,

Marc Sherriff has brought to my attention that if you google the Nato Stock Number (NSN) on the tag of these trousers you will see it is listed as men's trouser for the army. After a few emails to-and-fro Marc was able to reply with a comment from a serving female BW member that old stocks of men's trouser in smaller sizes are being issued to women to use them up. Hence, this combination is legitimate.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Nice looking uniform Gordon. You have a very impressive collection

Comment

myddrcaps,

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Does anyone know if in the Bundeswehr the necktie is unisex or do the Bundeswehr issue female service members the necktab similar to the ones issued to women in the United States Armed Forces?

Comment

Just checked the LHD catalogue. Should be an unisex tie.

Comment

Thanks for the information RamJet

Comment

RedCatcher1986,

There were trial women's uniforms with a tie similar to that used in the U.S. service but these uniforms were not adopted.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gentlemen,

I have another woman's uniform to add to this thread. I bought this tunic at the MAX. I sat at a table a few feet from where the tunic was hanging on and off for two days but only saw it shortly before the show was over.
                      It is the tunic of a female officer in the Marine. She wears a Laufbahnabzeichen für offiziere des Sanitätsdienstes on both lower sleeves. This particular one is for an Apotheker. On the left breast she wears a Tätigkeitsabzeichen für Sanitätspersonal. There is no specific Tätigkeitsabzeichen for an Apotheker. The sleeve rank indicates a Stabsapotheker. Only a skirt is available for wear with this tunic.

Regards,

Gordon
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gordon Craig; 10-15-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

The makers tag inside the tunic is one that I have not seen before.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kunstwadl's book shows the hat worn with this woman's uniform as a man's visor cap. ZDv 37/10 illustrates a woman's marine cap as worn with this uniform. This style cap is worn by all women in the Marine. Officers wear a gold cord around the base of the cap top. The woman's cap from my collection is shown below. It is for mannschaften and unteroffizere.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Can anybody tell me why I can find male BW service uniforms by the warehouse full on eBay, mail order catalogs, and surplus shops... yet I can't think of seeing more than a couple female uniforms. I know the ratio of males to females favors males, but I don't think that proportion is reflected in the available surplus. And I see similar lack of female uniforms in other places too. It's always puzzled me.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                              Can anybody tell me why I can find male BW service uniforms by the warehouse full on eBay, mail order catalogs, and surplus shops... yet I can't think of seeing more than a couple female uniforms. I know the ratio of males to females favors males, but I don't think that proportion is reflected in the available surplus. And I see similar lack of female uniforms in other places too. It's always puzzled me.

Steve
                              Please keep in mind that women have access to all services and branches not before 2000. Beyond that there were never any female conscripts in the Bundeswehr so there are of course less ascertained uniforms for women than uniforms for male soldiers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X