No announcement yet.

Show me your BRD Heer Tunics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redcatcher1986...I am by and large a tunic enthusiast and even though I favour Heer items that isnt to say I dont appreciate tunics from other areas. I just sold a twin to your tunic and was going to put it on display much like you are with yours until the cap debacle. Probably shouldnt have sold it but I have limited room to display and cant really do justice to owning too many tunics. Maybe one day but not at the moment. I look forward to seeing your tunic when you have it all completed and on a mannequin...will look very good.

Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil! Yeah the GJ tunic is pretty sweet, its my favorite out of my little collection Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Lemm View Post
        Redcatcher1986...I am by and large a tunic enthusiast and even though I favour Heer items that isnt to say I dont appreciate tunics from other areas. I just sold a twin to your tunic and was going to put it on display much like you are with yours until the cap debacle. Probably shouldnt have sold it but I have limited room to display and cant really do justice to owning too many tunics. Maybe one day but not at the moment. I look forward to seeing your tunic when you have it all completed and on a mannequin...will look very good.

Phil
        Many thanks Phil,

Hopefully your cap will turn up soon so that you can begin doing your collection in the manner that you envisioned. Yes afterall the collectors worst enemy is limited display space

Comment

Originally posted by Lemm View Post
          Here you go Gordon a better (and I use the term loosely) of the shoulder patch and ribbon bar. A photographer I am not. The shoulder patch does not have those funny coloured washed patches on it that was caused by the flash.
          I would be interested on what units this guy could have been with so I could add a Brustanhanger to the uniform and what the medals are. Thanks

Phil

Phil,

Spent some (lots) of time on researching Wehrbereichskommando II today. Your tunic falls into the Heeresstrukture 3 time frame - 1970-1980. It occured to me that as he is a reservist without an assignment, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, he may not wear a breat hanger. However, if he did it would probably be the one for the staff of WBK II. Here is a picture of their shield.

Regards,

Gordon
          Attached Files

Comment

Gordon,

Your knowledge and references have been of great assistance. Thank you much friend.

Lemm what kind of display are you overall trying to put together? Maybe I can be of some assistance? Even if I am in the United States I'm more than willing to help assist you in your quest for building your display.

DeWayne

Comment

Gents - I don't have any tunics myself, I'm more of a field gear man.

In any event, I've always enjoyed this picture of two fresh faced brothers sporting their shiny new tunics.

All the best - TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice picture, TJ ! Especially as it is from the short phase when the four pocket tunic had the pointed boards...

Last week I picked a nice goody for my collection from a parcel ... an early 60ies issued NCO tunic which I find harder to get then a decorated officers tunic... the ribbon is my addition but it had two punctures and a shadow of a relatively short ribbon in this postition. The guy also had an award on the breast pocket ...
                Attached Files

Comment

more
                  Attached Files

Comment

ddd
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jens,

Is that a 1962 date I see in the jacket? If so the this NCO obviously kept his uniform around for a while and "upgraded" it to rounded shoulder boards when he was promoted. I very nice jacket!

Steve

Comment

Nice tunic! Is it me or does the material look a little thinner than normal? Is it a summer weight jacket?

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                          Hi Jens,

Is that a 1962 date I see in the jacket? If so the this NCO obviously kept his uniform around for a while and "upgraded" it to rounded shoulder boards when he was promoted. I very nice jacket!

Steve
                          Hello Gentlemen!

I collect early Bundeswehr myself. I served in the Bundeswehr in 1992 and 1993 and collect it few years now.

As far as I am aware, the M57 Viertaschenrock (tunic with four pleated pockets) had first the same shoulderboards as the Affenjacke and the Zweireiher. Thats what the book of Kunstwadl says.

But the M62 tunic (the Viertaschenrock with Ärmelaufschläge) intodruced in 1962 allready had the rounded shoulderboards. I have about 10-20 early 4 pocket-tunics with Ärmelaufschläge but just 1 with the old pattern triangle shoulderboard. The rest all have rounded shoulderboards - and not upgraded ones but origin sewn on

just my 5 Euro cent.

Comment

Forseti,

There is enough photographic proof that the 1962 four pocket tunics were originally produced with pointed shoulder boards. The picture above, posted by TJ, and if you look on page 37 in Kunstwadl's book you will see them pictured there. This makes sens as the rounded end shoulder boards were not approved for issue until November of 1962 and probably were not used until sometime in early 1963.
                            Always good to have another ex BW soldier post on the forum. We need guys who actually served who can comment on the difference between what the regs say and what was actually done. Please keep you comments coming.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Hi!

I am not sure about the dating of the jacket above. I just want to mention that most early tunics I saw had rounded boards. Other problem is that most officer uniforms directly bought from the Kleiderkasse had no datings on their labels.
                              I dont say they didnt exist ( i have one in my collection) i just say that they early changed to rounded boards.

Yes. there are in deed some mysteries on early bundeswehr uniforms. But I know i ve read something in Kunstwadl talking about 1962. If november or whenever I dont know without having the book in my hand. I ll have to check the labels of my tunics I guess.

there is also a mysterie with the collarpiping and the piping on the trousers. It seems that it just had been in use for a few months. Kunstwadl says little about it and no concrete dates. As far as I have in mind (i am no superbrain PC at all) the book "Ausstattungsoll.." says also nothing clear about it. So much reseacrh-work do be done by us collectors
                              Last edited by Forseti; 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

We have to remember that so much of the Bundeswehr uniforms were only produced for a couple of years before there was a change. It wasn't until 1963 that regulations started to last for longer periods of time. This means confusion for us collectors, 50+ years later, should be normal

If a uniform was made in 1962 it was probably worn into 1963 and beyond. If the soldier received a promotion in 1963 he would change the epaulettes on his jacket, not get an entirely new jacket. Also, soldiers may have switched their epaulettes to the 1963 standard even without a change in rank.

So to me, it is not surprising that there are few 1962 jackets with pointed epaulettes. It makes sense to me that most would use the rounded types. Exceptions would exist for damaged jackets (removed from service) or soldiers who retired in 1962 with a "new" jacket made that year.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X