BGS bandage BGS pj's BGS compass

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

BGS work jacket and s/s shirt

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

John - Great stuff! I don't think anyone has posted BGS knee warmers before...

I'm a huge field gear man and made this image of our set-ups side by side.

I've only seen one Idealspaten made e-tool in "mussgrun" and it got snapped up pretty quick.

All the best - TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

John - Here's a look at our flare pistols side by side. Yours seems to be an older model based on the wartime Flare Pistol 38. Any markings? You have an old school holster as well - nice!

Mine is a P2 26.5mm flare pistol manufactured by GECO (Gustave Genschow Co.).

All the best - TJ
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Jose Miguel - Welcome to the Forum. That's a wonderful jacket you have there with nice crisp colors.

I know some folks who have made a simulated pencil pocket using an elbow patch or sumpf material from discarded pants or zelts. They cut the material to the approximate size of the pocket flap, sew down the top and attach the bottom with velcro.

If you want to go this route, I would recommend contacting forum member Marksharky. Mark has done excellent repair work to mutilated pencil pockets.

In any event, we're happy you joined us. Thanks for the great pictures of your new purchase.

All the best - TJ
                Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

BGS flare

yes its marked BUND, yours is a later model based on the late war German flare gun. Flare guns were important to BGS troops as it was in some cases there only commo and the colors meant different things.

Comment

John - What's cool about your pistol is that the East Germans also used this model. They referred to it as the LP-1. Until you posted yours, I didn't realize that the BRD also continued to employ it.

I recall watching a German docu-drama on the BGS back in 2004 that revolved around using a flare pistol. The documentary was based on an incident wherein a BGS patrol came upon a wounded East German refugee. The East German had hit a mine but had still somehow managed to pull himself just yards away from the final wire fence into BRD territory.

The patrol needed help, but if they used their flare pistol they would have tipped off the Grenztruppen. They had also lost radio contact with higher headquarters. Consequently, one of the BGS troopers crawled under the wire and scuttled across to the wounded refugee on all fours. He was trying (successfully as it turned out) to distribute his weight in such a way as to not detonate another mine. He then dragged the refugee to freedom following in his own tracks. Once he was on West German territory, he fired his flare gun and then began driving to high ground so he could communicate with his headquarters.

As I understand it, the refugee recovered and the trooper was awarded a gallantry cross from the state where the incident occured (Bavaria?).

See below for a picture of the East German flare pistols.

All the best - TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

BGS flare gun

i have heard that story also. The BGS was unique in that it adopted alot of WW2 similarities in uniform and equipment but nothing actually from WW2 even the 98's they were issued were parts guns from after the war. So were the P38's. The flare gun i have is the early BGS issue the one you have is a copy of the WW2 Walther made flare gun that was used by the BGS later when they started using more modern equipment. The flare holster you have was a universal model the BW used also. Even early BGS stuff was new made or reused helmet shells not just reissued WW2 items. Prior to the BW's creation in 1954 there was only the BGS and they were equipped as recon units fully motorised with light crew served weapons. The BW was not allowed within 40 kilometers of the border so in wartime the BGS would have become recon units for BW divisions with their knowledge of border areas. I think we all like the BGS stuff because it kept close to the German military traditions unlike the BW which went in the opposite direction and tried to create a new German army with as little connection to the past as possible. For this reason i only collect BGS and BW feldjager items made prior to 1970 as that was the heyday for its use before it started to become more a regular police force.

Comment

my BGS flare stuff

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

John,

Interesting flare gun you have pictured. I always thought that the early BGS used the Walther WWII style flare gun but your flare gun has many differences to the Walther gun. I have owned a number of the WWII isse flare guns, now long sold, and I'd be interested in seeing close up pictures of the markings on your flare pistol.
                          To go back to one of your early questions about how to post pictures on the forum. You have found out how to post pictures through a host and I appreciate your efforts here. The other way is to become a member of the forum which costs $25.00 a year. The problem with pictures posted on hosts is that they eventualyy disappear and we lose valuable pictorial reference material. If it is ok with you I will repost your photos so we do not lose them.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

BGS flare gun fotos

some fotos of my gun in use
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by blake485; 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

a couple more items

Fyi
                              Attached Files

Comment

John,

Excellent pictures of the flare gun and holster in wear. Would you please post pictures of the markings on the holster.
                                According to my research the flare pistol you posted above was made by F.W.Heym and would be marked BUND on the left side of the frame.
                                Do you have a cleaning rod for this BGS flare pistol? If so, would you please post a picture of it. Where was the cleaning rod carried? Doesn't appear to be room for it in/on the holster.

Regards,

Gordon
                                Last edited by Gordon Craig; 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X