Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare BGS Splinter Camo Jacket and Cap

Hello,
    Would like to show you these two pieces i picked up couple of years ago.
    Jacket with makers tag inside lower pocket and ri-ri zipper. Cap has no markings. Size handwritten inside.

Christian

Not BGS I'm pretty sure, sorry.

Comment

First pattern Bundeswehr smock , might not be BGS , but still rare , Great find !!

BTW , the BGS had the same cut in their first smock except in the marsh pattern .

Comment

Is the little pocket at the bottom for FA kits/ bandages?

Comment

Believe me it's a BGS Smock 1st Modell. The BGS Splinter Pattern is different to the BW Splinter Pattern.

Here is the 2nd Modell BGS Smock Marsh Pattern.

The little Pocket is for FA Kits.

Christian

Comment

Wow! First and second pattern BGS smocks for sure (see Daniel Peterson), in outstanding condition, and nice big size! The cap is interesting as well. First time I've seen close-up shots of one here. Extremely rare stuff!

Gene T

Comment

Very nice. I search after these for long time and miss one every time one is for sale (I have seen only 2 splittertarn and 2 sumpftarn smocks for sale ever). I have better luck with early wool uniforms. My only camo is 1959 jacket.

I have seen a splittertarn cap before on German forum, but never in period photos (always wool cap with this uniform worn). I suspect they are tailored item and not regulation.

regards
              Klaus

Comment

yup my bad BGS it is !!

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,

Absolutely AMAZING stuff!

Great condition for it's age. Rare as rare can be in this condition, ie. age; size; branch of service.

The cap is very interesting. Apart from the obvious difference in camouflage style (splintertarn as opposed to sumpftarn), in every other respect it is identical (in terms of manufacturing style) to an early sumpftarn BGS cap which I have in my collection. The only thing 'missing' is the cockade, which appears to have been removed at some point in time (the threads still being apparent in the images posted). Mine (which came from the original owner) never had a cockade and it would appear (from photographs of them in wear) that some didn't (although the majority did). The cap I have was 'issued', along with the balance of the camouflage uniform (jacket and trousers), to the original owner in or about the early 1960's. Based on this (and the quality of the construction of the cap depicted in the images), I am of the view that this was not 'field made' or 'privately tailored' and was, in all probability, an issue item.

The second pattern smock is, likewise, magnificent.

Many thanks for sharing these images of your collection with us, Christian. I look forward to hearing (and seeing) more of what you've got.

Best regards,

Hugh

P.S. If it hasn't already been said: Willkommen!

Comment

Hugh,
                    I would guess, these were manufactured small numbers, not regular issue. It is well made, but no stamp, only written size. If they were regular, they would appear probably in photos. But maybe Malborghetto or sgtmonroe will know?

The one on German forum I mentioned (Militaria Fundforum) is Malborghetto's! So I have only seen one. He mentions there that no Kokarde was worn on this cap and buttons missing. He also has early sumpftarn one that has different visor stitching. Maybe he will post it here?

regards
                    Klaus

Comment

Hello Klaus,

On looking at the images again, I think the loose threads were caused by removal of buttons. If that is the case, then there is no evidence that this cap ever had a cockade affixed. This would make it very similar to my early BGS sumpftarn cap, ie. no cockade and an absence of buttons.

Like you, I have never seen any photographs of such a style of cap in wear by the BGS. That said, of course, there is no logical reason why that could not have occurred. After all, why have one in sumpftarn to match the second pattern uniforms and not have one to match the first pattern? As you say, the uniforms are scarce and hard to find, which would indicate very small production 'runs'. Even the early BW splintertarn camouflage gear is hard to find (and larger numbers of that style were produced). When I first joined the Forum, even Gordon was unaware that there were gloves/gauntlets that went with the early splintertarn uniform.

I'd certainly like to see his "early sumpftarn one" to compare it with my own.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

There are also BGS splittertarn Hosen, but never seen in photos and apparently veterans do not even remember them issued, so it is suspected Truppenversuch type item. In photos, it is always wool Bergmütze and wool trousers. If smocks appear, then why not other splittertarn items? I think they were very small scale issue, not everyone get one.

regards
                        Klaus

Comment

Here are my two marsh pattern caps i have in my collection.
                          First one is from 1959. It never had a cockade.

My second one is from 1961.
                          Handwritten inside " Gj. Voß, 2/8 GSA -A- Küste"
                          As you can see the marshpattern is a little different to the earlier one.

Regards, Christian

Comment

Splinter camo gloves reversible to white. Worn with the smock i shown first. Unfortunately it is not a matching pair of gloves. Only two right ones.
                            There is no stamp or marking inside.

Christian

Comment

Very nice items Never seen the gloves before. It seems all the rare early items people find in Bavaria!

I think they change Sumpftarn in 1959 because I have Zeltbahn and jacket both 1959 dated. Jacket pattern is like your 1959 Feldmütze, Zeltbahn pattern is like 1961 one.

regards
                              Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X