Rare BGS Splinter Camo Jacket and Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen,

We have posted pictures of the hood a few times now but I don't remember us posting the zetlbahn itself. I did up this comparison with my BGS zelt and a Wehrmacht zelt some time ago but never got around to posting it. Now would seem to be a good time.

Regards,

Gordon

first up, the camo side. It looks darker than it actually is due to dirst and taking the pictures in one of the dark rooms I keep my collection in.
    Attached Files

Comment

The white side.
      Attached Files

Comment

A closer view of the pocket on the white side.
        Attached Files

Comment

Size comparison of the BGS and the Wehrmacht zelts.
          Attached Files

Comment

A different size comparison.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to see the size difference, Gordon. I never bothered to do a comparison back to back. Interesting to see that they felt the old pattern was too small instead of just going with what they had before.

I see you still have some white paint on your snaps. From my experience this is quite rare. I've seen 3 or 4 in person and about twice that many on eBay. The norm is for the paint to be completely absent.

It is interesting to note that the color variations are pretty substantial, such as Klaus' hood. Production quality issues? Deliberate tweaking? Who knows! Especially since the BGS wasn't kind enough to clearly date these items.

BTW, I meant to comment on the label on the inside of the Splittertarn smock. That's very unusual for a BGS item. As far as I can tell even the contemporary service jackets had ink markings and not big, gaudy manufacturer labels.

Oh and another bit of BGS trivia while I remember it... I have a BGS jacket with the label on the inside of the lower right front pocket! I've never, ever seen this done with any other BDR item. Really strange.

Steve

Comment

The middle strip of fabric is more tan colour on base, but underside is identical. The hoods are not really reversible like Zeltbahn or smock, which have two layers so one has white side and splittertarn side. The hood is one layer and underside is white, but you see pattern slightly through it.

If anyone know some type substitute I could use for the cord that is missing in my hood, let me know. Like some type shoelaces? It would work better as helmet cover if I could replace it.

regards
                Klaus

Comment

On thursday I had the opportunity to pick up the hood...:

Beside some little rust stains and little holes it is in an good overall state. Even the drawstring is at its place... too bad that I only have the shelter but no other item for a full 50ies BGS setup...

Jens

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                    The middle strip of fabric is more tan colour on base, but underside is identical. The hoods are not really reversible like Zeltbahn or smock, which have two layers so one has white side and splittertarn side. The hood is one layer and underside is white, but you see pattern slightly through it.

If anyone know some type substitute I could use for the cord that is missing in my hood, let me know. Like some type shoelaces? It would work better as helmet cover if I could replace it.

regards
                    Klaus
                    Klaus,

There is your answer on the draw string in the hood. Well illistrated in Jens pictures.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Appears to be olive cord. I should find something similar to use. I am opposite of Jens - close to early 1950s setup, but miss still splittertarn Zeltbahn!

regards
                      Klaus

Comment

Really nice condition hood Jens! I'm glad you won it instead of someone else (even me ).

Klaus,

The Zelts come up for sale every so often. Sometimes they go for reasonable money, othertimes they go for insane amounts! Which seems to be the same story with the Sumpftarn Zelts. I've picked them up for as little as EUR 30, but I've also seen several sell for excess of EUR 70. And not in better condition either! eBay is definitely a strange place

Steve

Comment

Yep, after TR stuff was going over the top everyone went over to the NVA. As rare items are also expensive now a hell lot of guys now is going over to the "cold war" Bundeswehr. Beside collectors looking for new field of interest also a lot of guys serving in the "old" BW start to collect nowadays. During the last 10 years several "Reservistenkameradschaften" where founded wich are focused on restoring vehicles and lots of guys want a complete uniform + personal equipment... Ten years agon you could pic up the amöbentarn camo shelter for near to nothing, the hood and the peg-pouch went of for 2,- marks at one of the large dealers. Now the shelters are not available for less then 40 - 50 Euro and the pouches are around 15,- .Complete sets I`ve seen fior over 100,- at ebay !
                          So take a chance when you can grab old stuff...

Jens

Comment

I know the splittertarn Zeltbahnen were on ebay.de, but I could never won them and now I have not seen one in months. Next time in Germany, I will hopefully have more time for Flohmärkte than last year. Sumpftarn Zeltbahnen are always on ebay.de and sometimes you find them also in US. My 1959 sumpftarn Zeltbahn I picked up at militaria show in US for only $15.

regards
                            Klaus

Comment

Here is a BGS smock I purchased in Weiden Germany at a fleamarket back in the late 1990's
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here are the pants. I got these at another fleamarket in Germany. I have not seen any for sale any where since then. I was very suprised to find these. These have had some repairs to them and had some white paint on them also. I guess they were used as work pants. I also purchased a BGS zeltbahn with these but I sold it many years ago. There are some marking on the inside but they are to light to read.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X